What's new

The all inclusive list of shaving myths

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not 30 minutes ago, I looked at Walmart for replacement carts for my Trac II, and they were $ 18.00 for 10. I get about a week out of a Trac II cart, so at $ 1.80 a week over even $ 0.25 a blade for DE, that's a substantial savings for me. I did not purchase them. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

Great thread Phil. You should shop for the cheaper Trac II carts at the dollar store or ebay, like the rest of us big guy? :)

Phil; I have enjoyed this thread immensely and you are indeed a man who speaks with well-chosen words, spoken in truth to many who should be listening by now... Thank you for posting this. You are certainly right. We do enjoy razors, vintage shaving, and acquisitions to the point of being ashamed. Although I have a relatively small number of Super Speeds- they are eight more than my father, and certainly my nine are more than my grandfather every wanted. They used one type of razor blade and one type of soap through their adult shaving lifetime, had one mug and one brush, and using that almost down to the handle. They stuck with what worked. They purchased locally, and were above all, content with what they had. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil; I have enjoyed this thread immensely and you are indeed a man who speaks with well-chosen words, spoken in truth to many who should be listening by now... Thank you for posting this. You are certainly right. We do enjoy razors, vintage shaving, and acquisitions to the point of being ashamed. Although I have a relatively small number of Super Speeds- they are eight more than my father, and certainly my nine are more than my grandfather every wanted. They used one type of razor blade and one type of soap through their adult shaving lifetime, had one mug and one brush, and using that almost down to the handle. They stuck with what worked. They purchased locally, and were above all, content with what they had. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I've enjoyed writing this, but I must admit that I am as addicted to the purchasing of products as anyone here! :lol:
I've managed to pare down my selection of Straights and DE's to a reasonable amount, (I was never a fan of single edge razors except a brief period in the early 70's) but I still have more brushes than I need, and I have enough soap and cream to shave a medium sized army.
Having said that, I'm in the process of making the Christmas list from the selection at West Coast Shaving for my wife to get me! :w00t:

4. Our method of shaving is NOT cheaper.

False. Ok, we've all heard it "This traditional way of shaving will save you money." Which is immediately followed by vast quantities of money being spent on shaving related items, thus seemingly debunking the idea that it is cheaper. Right?

Wrong!

This method IS cheaper.

Let's use DE shaving for an example.

Average quality, average priced razor blades = $ 0.13 each
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Doub...-2&keywords=personna+double+edge+razor+blades
One year cost - $ 6.76 (based on 1 week of shaves per blade)

Average quality, average priced soap = $ 10.00
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...8&qid=1448654326&sr=8-4&keywords=shaving+soap
One year cost - $ 20.00 (A dedicated test of a tub of Proraso, shaving daily, lasted me 1 year)

Average quality, average price Razor = $ 33.00
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-...448654412&sr=1-3&keywords=merkur+safety+razor
One year cost $ 33.00

Average quality, average price brush - $ 40.00
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065-B...=1448654594&sr=8-15&keywords=omega+boar+brush
One year cost - $40.00

I'm leaving aftershave off the list, as it would be used in any blade type shaving system.

Total outlay for one year - $ 99.76 (which includes the razor and brush which is good for many more years).

Gillette Pro-glide razor - $ 12.47 (with 2 carts)
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Prog...8-5&keywords=gillette+fusion+razor+with+blade
One year cost - $ 12.47

Fusion blades - $ 33.14
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+fusion+blades+refill
One year cost - $ 66.28 (based on 2 weeks of shaves per cart)

Barbasol Shaving Cream - $ 5.97
http://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Orig...48655241&sr=8-1&keywords=barbasol+shave+cream
One year cost - $ 23.88 (I used one can every 3 months while cart shaving)

Total outlay for one year - $ 102.63 (which includes the razor which is good for many more years).

One year shows a winner in DE shaving by a small margin. $ 99.76 for DE and $ 102.63 for cart.

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.

The reason so many people think that shaving our way is NOT cheaper is because we
Buy more and more razors looking for that perfect BBS shave every single morning. Rotation anyone?
Buy that East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush with unobtanium handle for the equivalent cost of the GDP of a small country.
Keep buying the latest soap from the latest manufacturer even though we already have a 15 year supply on the counter.

It's not the system we use that is expensive here fellas. It's being in constant communication with a large group of like minded fellows who are all enablers.
Agreed totally:thumbup1:

There is indeed a very good reason. I don't keep a kettle in my bathroom, but I do boil water in my kitchen for my shaving scuttle. My reason? I love a piping hot scuttle, which creates piping hot lather for my face. And what's more, when the shave is over, my first rinse uses the slightly less (but still quite) hot water from the scuttle to remove the leftover lather and soap film from my face. This is followed by a lukewarm rinse, then a cool rinse, and then a cold rinse.

Do I claim that it's necessary? Never. But don't tell me there's absolutely no reason for it. The hot lather and that first hot rinse are the best start to a day I can imagine in my mid-50's.
Its all about YMMV:thumbup1:

I've enjoyed writing this, but I must admit that I am as addicted to the purchasing of products as anyone here! :lol:
I've managed to pare down my selection of Straights and DE's to a reasonable amount, (I was never a fan of single edge razors except a brief period in the early 70's) but I still have more brushes than I need, and I have enough soap and cream to shave a medium sized army.
Having said that, I'm in the process of making the Christmas list from the selection at West Coast Shaving for my wife to get me! :w00t:
More stuff? So your aiming to shave a large Army soon:lol:

Me too Phil, me too... I have managed to fly under the wife's radar for a while, meaning I have been careful not to affect our budget. I do see an end, albeit an expensive one- a 1947 Super Speed with box and its tan Speed-Pak dispenser in excellent condition that I WILL use; and a coin toss for either a V3 or a Black Tip Super Speed with a metal TTO knob instead of a plastic one. My Blue Tip needs a case too, and that has been elusive. I may restore another Art Deco Ever-Ready shaving brush should one fall into my lap. Otherwise, I have scratched off my shopping list. I use ALL of my razors, and have given away more than I own, which has been rewarding. My twin brother, a dedicated electric razor guy-received a really nice 1954 Flare Tip Super Speed for his birthday, which of course was mine too. However, once this is finished-they will last me the rest of my life. Amortized over my shaving years, this stately sum becomes quite inexpensive. I then will throw money at my historic SCCA MGB rally car restoration, but my wife clearly knows the costs for that project. I have done all the work to save money, which has been a lifelong goal. God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Very enjoyable thread, Phil! I find it impossible to argue with any of your points.

I have known for very many years that hot water does not open our pores. I normally shave with very warm water. A few years ago, I was forced by circumstances to shave with cold water. I was amazed at the quality of the shave (perfect BBS as usual) and I honestly I could detect no discernible difference in the results.

My Mühle R89 (same head as the EJ89) is one of my favorite razors and it has a reputation of being mild. I don't use it nearly as much as I did several years ago (can you guess why?), but once in a while I break it out and pair it with a Feather blade. Each and every time I am reminded of the undeniable fact that our technique trumps everything else when it comes to shaving. I normally get an incredibly smooth and perfect BBS in three passes.

And let's not forget that part and parcel of technique is a lather which will provide sufficient cushion and glide; such a lather will normally require a minimum amount of time and elbow grease-more or less depending on the softness/acidity of the water used. I never settle on subpar lather; mine always has that picture perfect look because it is more or less perfect-regardless of whether it takes ninety seconds or four minutes to build.

+2. Well stated! The perception that an experienced shaver must graduate from "mild, beginner's" razors is indeed a myth!

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.
Personna twin blade carts bought in bulk through Amazon cost about the same as Personna DE blades bought in bulk through Amazon.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Personna twin blade carts bought in bulk through Amazon cost about the same as Personna DE blades bought in bulk through Amazon.

And if you use a sharpened spoon and ivory soap with no brush it's cheaper still. :w00t:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Clarification

One may choose to believe whatever one chooses to believe. Again, my perspective on this is the average Joe looking at average pricing from average sources. If one is willing to shop around one could reduce the overall cost of DE shaving. Just a quick check shows Astra blades available at $ 0.09 each.

http://store.mensroombarbershop.com...lades-green/?gclid=CMbZzKPXs8kCFcGXgQodig8BUw

Again - my perspective only. Believe whatever you want.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

6. Shaving makes your beard grow back thicker or fuller.

False. Shaving has absolutely no effect on the growth of your beard except it's length!

This is a somewhat commonly held belief which is no more than an old wives tale. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to suggest that shaving has any effect on the regrowth of facial hair. But there are absolutely reasons why many people believe this myth, and it has to do with our powers of observation.

A young man is told that shaving his hair will make it grow back thicker, or fuller. He takes this to heart and shaves regularly. Over the course of the next year or so, he notices that his facial hair is indeed growing back thicker and fuller. What's up with that?

Hormones. The young mans hair would have increased in thickness and fullness even if he hadn't shaved because as he ages, his hair growth changes. It grows in thicker and fuller. That's the difference between peach fuzz as a youth, and grizzled stubble as an older man. That would have happened whether he shaved or not. Puberty anyone?

Another couple of things that are happening is the shape of the hair we are dealing with. Longer hair appears to be softer than shorter hair. Take a ruler and put on a desk with 10 inches overhanging the edge and "twang" the overhanging end. It will bounce quite a bit. Take that same ruler and place it so 4 inches overhangs. It won't be so easy to "twang" and the movement is much reduced. The same thing happens with hair, though the composition of the hair hasn't changed.

If you look at a hair that has grown naturally, it is long and tapered like a javelin. When you cut the hair, what is left is the thicker base of the hair. As this grows out, it is no longer tapered at the end, but as thick as the rest of the hair growing out. This thickness near the end as opposed to the tapered end of an uncut hair makes it appear and feel thicker, though the composition of the hair hasn't changed.

Combine these two factors and a growth of facial hair can have quite a bit of observed differences between longer, uncut hair and shorter hair that has been previously cut.

This is a fairly easy myth to debunk, and I don't think there are many folks here at B&B who believe it.

Top Bottom