What's new

The all inclusive list of shaving myths

lots of myths out there. I've found that the handle design seems to be more conducive to close shaving than the head, at least for me. I need a long handle where I can get a proper angle without bumping my mitts into my face.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

5. This shaving system gives you a closer shave than that system.

False. Everyone has their favorite system, for some it is a DE, for some a SE. Still others prefer a straight, a shavette, or a combination of systems like the old Rolls or Wilkinson 7 blade sets, still others love their Trac II or their Dorco 7.

But unless you are shaving with an electric or other non-bladed system, you're not cutting the hair any closer than any other bladed system.
The question boils down to how many passes are necessary to get the hair cut as short as possible, and the relative comfort involved in doing so.
You could pick up a shard of obsidian, and with enough work, enough practice, and enough trial and error - get as close a shave as any bladed system out there.
It may not be as comfortable for you as another system may be, it may not be as fun for you as another system may be, it may not be as "cool" as another system may be, but a cut hair is a cut hair, and you can't cut a hair shorter than that which can be cut by any "razor sharp" edge, regardless of what type of handle it has or whether that edge is intended to be resharpened or thrown away after one or multiple uses.

There are reasons that one may prefer one particular system over another, for certain. There are people who prefer one method because, for them, it is less work or less trouble than another. But if an edge can cut a hair, then one won't shave "better" than the other.

Some reasons why people may prefer one system over another, not related to how it cuts the hair are
Clogging. Carts and to some extent DE and SE may be susceptible to clogging if there is enough hair there.
Irritation. Carts for some people do indeed cause irritation. Straights and shavettes can be very irritating until you are well versed in the process which can take a LONG time.
Weight. While some prefer the feather light feel of a Bic disposable, other prefer the heft of a Fatboy, or the mass of a wedge.
Passes. If you've got more than peach fuzz, and a three day weekend of growth to cut off, good luck going at it with a Fusion Cart. A straight shaver knows that his 6/8 full hollow will just mow it down.
"Cool" kid factor. Let's face it. There is a certain attraction to the systems we choose, and the reasons for that are as varied as the choices available. But we all do it because we are different from the masses out there in the dark, bumping around with glazed eyes under the spell of the Advertising Executives.

Use what you want. Cart, or DE, or SE, or straight, or shavette, or disposable, or that spoon you have sharpened to a wicked edge, but you won't get a comparatively "better" shave if skill and other variable parameters are eliminated.

2. Alcohol splashes damage your skin and should be avoided at all costs.

It's not quite what you make it out to be. Alcohol isn't good for the skin, if you have dry skin it will dry it out further, and if you have oily skin, by drying out your skin it will make you produce more oils.

That said, most people can still get away with it without any ill effect, the same as a healthy fit person can eat bacon (within reason) and suffer no ill effects, though you wouldn't say that bacon is good for you. The fact is that in general, two equivalent products, one containing alcohol, one without, you're not going to gain anything by using the alcohol containing one, though you may not lose anything either, YMMV.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks, Phil. Great thread. When can we get the rest of the myths list?

I don't really have a "list". I'm just putting down what occurs to me. Ideas are gleaned from the thread as well, as you can see.

It's not quite what you make it out to be. Alcohol isn't good for the skin, if you have dry skin it will dry it out further, and if you have oily skin, by drying out your skin it will make you produce more oils.

That said, most people can still get away with it without any ill effect, the same as a healthy fit person can eat bacon (within reason) and suffer no ill effects, though you wouldn't say that bacon is good for you. The fact is that in general, two equivalent products, one containing alcohol, one without, you're not going to gain anything by using the alcohol containing one, though you may not lose anything either, YMMV.

First post. Please read it.

YMMV, so if you read this and don't agree - that's your option. You don't have to agree with me, and I don't have to agree with you!

I'm not interested in counter arguments, and I'm not engaging them, though I do reserve the right to delete obnoxious posts should they appear! :w00t:
This is all personal opinion. Take from it what you will.

Last edited:
Buy that East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush with unobtanium handle for the equivalent cost of the GDP of a small country.

The thing is, you really don't want to overstress your East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush and to allow for proper drying, you really need a set of 7.

Extremism

What I mean by this takes one of two forms while shaving:
1. People who have an electric tea kettle on their sink.
2. People who empty ice trays into their sink.

There's absolutely no reason to go to these extremes.

There is indeed a very good reason. I don't keep a kettle in my bathroom, but I do boil water in my kitchen for my shaving scuttle. My reason? I love a piping hot scuttle, which creates piping hot lather for my face. And what's more, when the shave is over, my first rinse uses the slightly less (but still quite) hot water from the scuttle to remove the leftover lather and soap film from my face. This is followed by a lukewarm rinse, then a cool rinse, and then a cold rinse.

Do I claim that it's necessary? Never. But don't tell me there's absolutely no reason for it. The hot lather and that first hot rinse are the best start to a day I can imagine in my mid-50's.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Clarifications

There is indeed a very good reason. I don't keep a kettle in my bathroom, but I do boil water in my kitchen for my shaving scuttle. My reason? I love a piping hot scuttle, which creates piping hot lather for my face. And what's more, when the shave is over, my first rinse uses the slightly less (but still quite) hot water from the scuttle to remove the leftover lather and soap film from my face. This is followed by a lukewarm rinse, then a cool rinse, and then a cold rinse.

Do I claim that it's necessary? Never. But don't tell me there's absolutely no reason for it. The hot lather and that first hot rinse are the best start to a day I can imagine in my mid-50's.

I think water for a scuttle is a different matter. It's not water you are shaving with per se. Therefore, it falls outside the parameters I was discussing in my post.

Wow that brush normally goes for around the ten dollar mark on maggard's or italian barber. I guess in that aspect it is cheaper, but there is no fun in not having a few ADs. :lol:

I tried not to find the very cheapest products available, because people can always shop for a bargain. I just wanted to point out the possibilities presented to an average Joe, looking on an average online shopping venue.

4. Our method of shaving is NOT cheaper.

False. Ok, we've all heard it "This traditional way of shaving will save you money." Which is immediately followed by vast quantities of money being spent on shaving related items, thus seemingly debunking the idea that it is cheaper. Right?

Wrong!

This method IS cheaper.

Let's use DE shaving for an example.

Average quality, average priced razor blades = $ 0.13 each
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Doub...-2&keywords=personna+double+edge+razor+blades
One year cost - $ 6.76 (based on 1 week of shaves per blade)

Average quality, average priced soap = $ 10.00
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...8&qid=1448654326&sr=8-4&keywords=shaving+soap
One year cost - $ 20.00 (A dedicated test of a tub of Proraso, shaving daily, lasted me 1 year)

Average quality, average price Razor = $ 33.00
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-...448654412&sr=1-3&keywords=merkur+safety+razor
One year cost $ 33.00

Average quality, average price brush - $ 40.00
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065-B...=1448654594&sr=8-15&keywords=omega+boar+brush
One year cost - $40.00

I'm leaving aftershave off the list, as it would be used in any blade type shaving system.

Total outlay for one year - $ 99.76 (which includes the razor and brush which is good for many more years).

Gillette Pro-glide razor - $ 12.47 (with 2 carts)
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Prog...8-5&keywords=gillette+fusion+razor+with+blade
One year cost - $ 12.47

Fusion blades - $ 33.14
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+fusion+blades+refill
One year cost - $ 66.28 (based on 2 weeks of shaves per cart)

Barbasol Shaving Cream - $ 5.97
http://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Orig...48655241&sr=8-1&keywords=barbasol+shave+cream
One year cost - $ 23.88 (I used one can every 3 months while cart shaving)

Total outlay for one year - $ 102.63 (which includes the razor which is good for many more years).

One year shows a winner in DE shaving by a small margin. $ 99.76 for DE and $ 102.63 for cart.

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.

The reason so many people think that shaving our way is NOT cheaper is because we
Buy more and more razors looking for that perfect BBS shave every single morning. Rotation anyone?
Buy that East Himalayan High Mountain White Silver Water Badger brush with unobtanium handle for the equivalent cost of the GDP of a small country.
Keep buying the latest soap from the latest manufacturer even though we already have a 15 year supply on the counter.

It's not the system we use that is expensive here fellas. It's being in constant communication with a large group of like minded fellows who are all enablers.

In your scenario I think most Fusion users would be lucky to go two weeks on a cartridge. One week would be more likely. I can only get three days. That would raise the cost considerably.

Cartridge users can cut the cost of cartridges considerably though. Dorco is MUCH less expensive as is Harry's or Dollar Shave Club. For the real tightwads among us, Micro Touch cartridges are the cheapest of all not only because you find a handle with 12 cartridges on ebay for $18.00, those 12 cartridges will last a month each. At least they can for me, and I only get 3 days from a Fusion Proglide. Since I mix the use of others during the month I'm still getting about 20 days from the Micro Touch, as I change it on the first of the month if it needs it or not.

Now if I could just quite buying brushes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Clarification

In your scenario I think most Fusion users would be lucky to go two weeks on a cartridge. One week would be more likely. I can only get three days. That would raise the cost considerably.

Gillette advertises a month of shaves on a Fusion cart, and no one I know gets that kind of mileage. I didn't want to raise anyone's ire by making the cart seem to last only as long as a DE blade, so I compromised at 2 weeks.

Not 30 minutes ago, I looked at Walmart for replacement carts for my Trac II, and they were $ 18.00 for 10. I get about a week out of a Trac II cart, so at $ 1.80 a week over even $ 0.25 a blade for DE, that's a substantial savings for me. I did not purchase them. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

4. Our method of shaving is NOT cheaper.

False. Ok, we've all heard it "This traditional way of shaving will save you money." Which is immediately followed by vast quantities of money being spent on shaving related items, thus seemingly debunking the idea that it is cheaper. Right?

Wrong!

This method IS cheaper.

Let's use DE shaving for an example.

Average quality, average priced razor blades = $ 0.13 each
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Doub...-2&keywords=personna+double+edge+razor+blades
One year cost - $ 6.76 (based on 1 week of shaves per blade)

Average quality, average priced soap = $ 10.00
http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavi...8&qid=1448654326&sr=8-4&keywords=shaving+soap
One year cost - $ 20.00 (A dedicated test of a tub of Proraso, shaving daily, lasted me 1 year)

Average quality, average price Razor = $ 33.00
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-...448654412&sr=1-3&keywords=merkur+safety+razor
One year cost $ 33.00

Average quality, average price brush - $ 40.00
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-10065-B...=1448654594&sr=8-15&keywords=omega+boar+brush
One year cost - $40.00

I'm leaving aftershave off the list, as it would be used in any blade type shaving system.

Total outlay for one year - $ 99.76 (which includes the razor and brush which is good for many more years).

Gillette Pro-glide razor - $ 12.47 (with 2 carts)
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Prog...8-5&keywords=gillette+fusion+razor+with+blade
One year cost - $ 12.47

Fusion blades - $ 33.14
http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+fusion+blades+refill
One year cost - $ 66.28 (based on 2 weeks of shaves per cart)

Barbasol Shaving Cream - $ 5.97
http://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Orig...48655241&sr=8-1&keywords=barbasol+shave+cream
One year cost - $ 23.88 (I used one can every 3 months while cart shaving)

Total outlay for one year - $ 102.63 (which includes the razor which is good for many more years).

One year shows a winner in DE shaving by a small margin. $ 99.76 for DE and $ 102.63 for cart.

BUT...

The biggest cost difference is blades with $ 66.28 for carts and $ 6.76 for DE blades for one year.
After the initial outlay of equipment, the cost per year after the first year, the difference is significant.

The reason so many people think that shaving our way is NOT cheaper is because we
Buy more and more razors looking for that perfect BBS shave every single morning. Rotation anyone?
Keep buying the latest soap from the latest manufacturer even though we already have a 15 year supply on the counter.

It's not the system we use that is expensive here fellas. It's being in constant communication with a large group of like minded fellows who are all enablers.
+1

As you say, DE could be cheaper if we'd let it. But we're all crazy her Eyes!

1. The Tech is a beginner razor.

I can't really call it false because it can be more accurately phrased The Tech is a good razor for beginners. That doesn't mean it's the wet shaving equivalent of training wheels, only that it's mild. I'll never forget that my father used a Tech for decades, and I hardly think he was a rank beginner during all that time. I - and my face - will agree there is nothing wrong with mild.

Top Bottom