What's new

The 300 BLK?

A very successful attempt.

Big wallop (200+gr 30 cal slug) that's relatively accurate at medium distances and can be shot subsonic. Great with a can. All you need to do is swap barrels. What's not to like? Hogs don't like it :)
+1 on the above - Harder hitting round that can be shot out of an AR-15 pattern rifle (very similar to 7.62x39). Because of the heavier bullet/slower velocities it is also much more quiet with a suppressor and works very well with really almost any length barrel with out having reliability issues (vs. the .223/.556 - where an 11.5 inch barrel or above is optimal).

Downsides are the limited manufactures of ammo and its ammo price. Also, its effective range is no where near .223/.556. But as with any gun selection - you start with what you want it to do caliber wise and work your way back to the gun selection of what can shoot that caliber. If all you want to do is shoot hogs at under 100 yards - Its perfect.

I built an upper in 300BO but ended up selling it. Was a neat round, just not something I felt I really needed. I seem to go through cycles of what I want, when I get them I like them for a bit then want to trade them off for something new.

There was an earlier very similar cartridge developed by J.D. Jones called the .300 Whisper, based on I think a .221 Rem. Fireball case. It was never standardized and you rarely hear anything about it any longer. Like the Blackout it used the long 220 gr spitzers for low velocity and was indended to be used in suppressed rifles.

Top Bottom