What's new

The 300 BLK?

Got a .223 upper and a .300 upper that can swap over. Same mags, same BCG, use the same 0.3" suppressor. Can load subs or supers depending on what i'm after.

Nice to use quiet subsonics in close bush on deer. Just make sure the projectiles you're using for subs will go splat on impact at those slow speeds rather than pencil through... LeHigh make some nice ones, but there are few other cheaper options out there now.

LeHigh .300 Maximum Expansion for subs:
View attachment 907098

Oh, and if you're going the subsonic route, make sure you get pistol length gas on your upper. Will save you lot of headaches with cycling.
Wow.... Bullets that turn into fishing hooks. Talk about ultimate sporting gear recycling.

I was on the Daniel Defense site and they have a nice AR in .308, but while I was browsing, I saw one in .300 with a built-in suppressor. Too many choices!!!!!!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was on the Daniel Defense site and they have a nice AR in .308, but while I was browsing, I saw one in .300 with a built-in suppressor. Too many choices!!!!!!!

There are too many. In .308, I have heard good things about the DPMS Oracle, the Aero Precision M5E1 and PSA's AR-10. All very reasonably priced.

If the feds would cut out that ridiculous tax on suppressors I would probably get one or a few, simply to preserve my ears.

Yeah. DD rifles are expensive anyway. The DDM4-ISR will require an additional $200 for the stamp. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to drop that kind of coin someone will have abolished the stamp tax.

If the feds would cut out that ridiculous tax on suppressors I would probably get one or a few, simply to preserve my ears.

When I watched a nephew sight in his .223, I asked if it was a .308. It was surprisingly loud. No, I don't know the barrel length, or if that really matters.

There are too many. In .308, I have heard good things about the DPMS Oracle, the Aero Precision M5E1 and PSA's AR-10. All very reasonably priced.

I kind of like the DPMS Classic, but it lacks a rail for easy attachment of a sights and scope, and I read something about the peep sight that raised questions. OTOH, the rifle weight looks as good as padding to me. Think it weights in close to 12 pounds. Yes, would consider a strap for the thing.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I kind of like the DPMS Classic, but it lacks a rail for easy attachment of a sights and scope, and I read something about the peep sight that raised questions. OTOH, the rifle weight looks as good as padding to me. Think it weights in close to 12 pounds. Yes, would consider a strap for the thing.

Definitely would want rails. Gotta have a bipod for it also. :)

When I watched a nephew sight in his .223, I asked if it was a .308. It was surprisingly loud. No, I don't know the barrel length, or if that really matters.

Yes barrel length matters. Short barrels are LOUD. Also round and its powder load make a difference. And whether you are slightly in front of, next to, or behind the muzzle. And the aforementioned muzzle device.

I remember one time at the rifle range, I took my Dad along with just to give him a different experience. I put him in 21dB foam core plugs thinking he'd be ok. After I turned back around to talk with him having put three rounds down range he told me he didn't enjoy the experience - I saw one of the plugs had come out and he hadn't noticed. I can only slightly imagine how his ear rang after three 5.56 rounds launched less than 10 foot away from his head.

Rather put a wet blanket over the idea of the entire afternoon's plans. No sense torturing someone after their head has been rung like a hi-freq gong.

Yep. When I was still wet behind the ears I once went over to a buddy's house who lived in the boonies miles away from any neighbors. Had my pistol (.45 ACP) in my IWB holster as usual, and he asked if we could shoot in the backyard. They had a sort of natural dip so that we would be shooting downhill into a decent backstop so I said I guessed so, but didn't have my earplugs with me, so it sure wouldn't be fun. I told him we can take a few shots but that's it.

His turn I covered my ears tight and was fine. My turn I covered my right ear with my left hand by putting my arm over the top of my head and tried to use the bicep of my left arm to cover my left ear. Took about 3 or 4 shots at the target and that was IT. I couldn't hear right out of that ear for almost two days. I will NEVER do that again unless it's an emergency.

Back in the early 60's I got myself on a ROTC rifle team in college, smallbore. We shot on an indoor range under the stadium, steel bleacher type stands were the roof, concrete floor and brick wall, and finally an angled steel plate with a sand trap for bullets. Two years of that, plus shooting my 30-06 without ear protection did a job on my ears. A good friend, an optometrist I finished high school with, did the same and has the same problem.

Top Bottom