What's new

The 300 BLK?

Didn't know this critter existed until I saw it in an NRA give-away. It looks like an attempt to get a .308 caliber round in a .223 magazine. I'm looking at this and going "Why this round?"

Comments?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
A very successful attempt.

Big wallop (200+gr 30 cal slug) that's relatively accurate at medium distances and can be shot subsonic. Great with a can. All you need to do is swap barrels. What's not to like? Hogs don't like it :)

I'm seriously looking at one. Ammo is still kind of expensive, at least compared to 5.56. Advanced Armament Corporation's development, also known as 300AAC. My local shop has a few around that is really twisting my head in directions I don't want it to go!

Don

Harder hitting than the 5.56. Relatively the same combat effective range. Longer distances the 300 Black drops off. I've been thinking about building one. Ammo is starting to become more readily available in my area.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Blackout rules. :gunsmilie:

Like .30 Carbine, but with better bullets choices and a modern platform. Same mags.

Get an upper!

AA

Got a .223 upper and a .300 upper that can swap over. Same mags, same BCG, use the same 0.3" suppressor. Can load subs or supers depending on what i'm after.

Nice to use quiet subsonics in close bush on deer. Just make sure the projectiles you're using for subs will go splat on impact at those slow speeds rather than pencil through... LeHigh make some nice ones, but there are few other cheaper options out there now.

LeHigh .300 Maximum Expansion for subs:
2yzhges.jpg

Oh, and if you're going the subsonic route, make sure you get pistol length gas on your upper. Will save you lot of headaches with cycling.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got a .223 upper and a .300 upper that can swap over. Same mags, same BCG, use the same 0.3" suppressor. Can load subs or supers depending on what i'm after.

Nice to use quiet subsonics in close bush on deer. Just make sure the projectiles you're using for subs will go splat on impact at those slow speeds rather than pencil through... LeHigh make some nice ones, but there are few other cheaper options out there now.

LeHigh .300 Maximum Expansion for subs:
View attachment 907098

Oh, and if you're going the subsonic route, make sure you get pistol length gas on your upper. Will save you lot of headaches with cycling.

That is an impressive sight!

AA

Also works well in a short barrel (16" or 10.5" SBR), while 5.56 does better (IMHO) with 18 to 20". Or, get an AR pistol in 300 black.

Personally I'll stick with my .458 SOCOM. If it's ever necessary, it will hit hard as hell at close to mid range quietly sub-sonic with a can. Long range, sniper-style, you shouldn't even need a can with a rifle and round more suitable. Too far away for the sound to matter a whole lot.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Personally I'll stick with my .458 SOCOM. If it's ever necessary, it will hit hard as hell at close to mid range quietly sub-sonic with a can. Long range, sniper-style, you shouldn't even need a can with a rifle and round more suitable. Too far away for the sound to matter a whole lot.

Good point. I'll take a .308 over both long range. I would think the .458 even suppressed would be a little overkill up close on anything smaller then Elk?

Seek and ye shall find or so it is said.
In about a week I shall receive a new Ruger Mini-30. Blue with wood furniture. Delivered with 5 and 20 round Ruger OEM magazines.
Fortunate that I kept the sling and Picatinney mount from my old Mini-14.
They will come in most handy.
All I need is one or two 10 round magazines and it seems there are a bunch of Pro Mag specimens around. I recall having less-than-great luck with Pro Mag stuff in the past. Has their quality improved any?

Good point. I'll take a .308 over both long range. I would think the .458 even suppressed would be a little overkill up close on anything smaller then Elk?

With the right ammo for the most part. But if you have a problem, the solution is always "get a bigger hammer" haha. There are a number of YouTube vids of suppressed .458 hog hunts. Good expansion is key or it will just freight train right on through. Nice thing about .458 is the caliber has been around for A VERY long time; lots of bullet choices available. Also .458 SOCOM will run perfectly fine from a normal .223 AR mag. Buying rounds isn't cheap, but I picked up 1000 brand new Starline cases and reloading dies when I bought my .458 upper in a group buy at arfcom about a million years ago when they were brand new.

7CB1AA0E-5C15-4CDA-AB21-24590D32D5DD.jpeg
F2BF22CC-9CE9-4DAC-BC88-D8282D78DDF7.jpeg
I will humbly suggest one or both of the rifles shown above will prove to be 100% effective as a game harvesting tool at extended distances. Sadly I lost in the drawing for this year’s TN elk permit. Had I been fortunate enough to win one, the BAR was ready to go. TWRA threw a Tikka 7mm in with the raffle. Nice, but I still would have taken the BAR.
Top: Browning .30-06 A-Bolt
Bottom: Browning .300 Win Mag BAR

Top Bottom