What's new

INFO! The 2023 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thank you for the clarification! I think ill hold off on purchasing one then!

-looney
I was selling them a couple years ago, shave ready, Method honed. Only one was ever returned to me, and he just couldn't figure out how to shave with it. If you know how to hone a razor, REALLY know how to hone a razor, you can make a good shaver out of this ugly duckling, and they cost chimp change. Currently, I don't know anyone honing and selling them shave ready that I can recommend. Straight out of the box, they aren't going to shave.

A total noob should NOT buy one. Cheap is still not a good deal if it is unusable. This is not the razor you want, for learning to hone razors, nor would you want to try to teach yourself to shave with ANY razor that you are also trying to teach yourself to hone.

However, this contest absolutely requires buying at least one Gold Dollar. So buy, or don't enter. I would get at least three or four.

I was selling them a couple years ago, shave ready, Method honed. Only one was ever returned to me, and he just couldn't figure out how to shave with it. If you know how to hone a razor, REALLY know how to hone a razor, you can make a good shaver out of this ugly duckling, and they cost chimp change. Currently, I don't know anyone honing and selling them shave ready that I can recommend. Straight out of the box, they aren't going to shave.

A total noob should NOT buy one. Cheap is still not a good deal if it is unusable. This is not the razor you want, for learning to hone razors, nor would you want to try to teach yourself to shave with ANY razor that you are also trying to teach yourself to hone.

However, this contest absolutely requires buying at least one Gold Dollar. So buy, or don't enter. I would get at least three or four.
I am a total noob when it comes to honing razors! Looka like this is NOT for me until i get some skill in honing and such! What kind of steel do these gold dollars use?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am a total noob when it comes to honing razors! Looka like this is NOT for me until i get some skill in honing and such! What kind of steel do these gold dollars use?
The "competition" is not about honing, it is about modifying the looks of a GD66. You don't even have to hone it to win.

The GD66's blade is of high carbon steel (HCS), heat treated to a hardness of about 58 to 60 RHC. The steel is about as easy to hone as most HCS SRs.

The "competition" is not about honing, it is about modifying the looks of a GD66. You don't even have to hone it to win.

The GD66's blade is of high carbon steel (HCS), heat treated to a hardness of about 58 to 60 RHC. The steel is about as easy to hone as most HCS SRs.
One of the criteria is to be "shave ready" (opening post on this thread) - though that seems to cover a multitude of sins when it appears on the web. I suppose technically it doesn't say how it gets that way : I'd assumed it was to be done by the entrant, but I'd be open to stretching that if it means more entries.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here are some of the previous entries:

I suppose if you tell us it's shave ready we have to believe it. 😇

I'm planning to use mine on Saturday morning. That usually means I'll post on the "Rate the shave 1-10" General Shaving thread, but let me know if anyone wants me to hold off on that posting until the competition thread opens and I've put it in there.

Here are some of the previous entries:
@LooneyToons816 You can find them all together in the Gold Dollar Mod Compendium.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What I learnt

This competition has been an enjoyable learning experience for me. What I have learnt is:
  • Don't drop a SR onto a tiled floor.
  • Queensland black bean timber makes for lovely looking scales.
  • I really like brass pins with nickel silver collars.
  • Don't over do the CA finish if you still want the feel of timber.
  • Don't apply CA finish with the scales still stuck together. It becomes difficult to separate them without damaging the finish.
  • If going for a deep gloss finish, pay particular attention to the smoothness of the scales. Any slight imperfection will show up in the gloss finish.
  • The positioning and shape of a thumb notch can make all the difference in how a SR feels in-hand.
  • My calculations for SR balance using a lead wedge work out well.
  • I like to leave the hollow grind marks on a blade as they let the polished bevel and spine wear really stand out.
  • I was going to PIF this SR so chose a French point thinking that would be more acceptable. Later I realised that there was no way I was going to PIF or even sell such a wonderful razor.
  • Band-aids work well on cut fingers.
It's the first of July where I am.

Last edited:
The entry thread is live! Please post pictures of your finished razors there. Let's keep the discussions going on this thread and just have entries in the other thread. I'll post a poll when everyone's pictures are up. Can't wait to see what everyone has created!

Top Bottom