What's new

INFO! 2023 Badger & Blade Gold Dollar Mod Entry Thread

Today is July 1. Several of you have worked diligently to turn a very crude Gold Dollar straight razor into a beautiful custom shaving instrument.

Please post your entries to the Gold Dollar Mod Competition here. This is open to all Gold Dollar modifications created between May 1 and today. Let's keep discussions in the main discussion thread. Once we have everyone's entries here, no later than July 8, I'll start a poll so the B&B members can vote on your entries.

Modified GD66 #4 : "No, I'm Sixtysix". May-June 2023.

Screenshot from 2023-07-01 17-36-50.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It may not be a great looker but I am more appreciative of inner beauty.

I tried to keep my modifications reasonable simple. Ended up with a ⅞ French point full hollow with thumb notch, dressed in Queensland black bean timber scales with lead wedge and brass pins with nickel alloy collars. I then found a nice mahogany timber case for it.

Cased Face.JPG

Face Profile 0701.jpg Reverse Profile (Finished)0701.JPG
Blade Face Profile 0701.jpg Blade Reverse Profile 0701.JPG
Point.jpg Lead Wedge 0701.JPG
Pivot Pin (Face).JPG
As for shavability, I honed this SR up as I normally would and finished on diamond pasted balsa. I have been shaving almost daily with this SR since finished and just can't stop myself. I love the way it shaves and its feeling in-hand. I have a winner.

Last edited:
The following indicated that they will be (maybe?) entering this competition:
@Kaldane (entry received)​
@lloydw (?)​
@alpster (entry received)​
@rbscebu (entry received)​
That just leaves @Derwent (who hasn't been seen on B&B since 13 June) to lodge his entry and possibly @lloydw and @LooneyToons816 if they took on their projects.
Thanks, I was wondering how Derwent is doing. Hopefully we'll get a few more entries. I like the ones I've seen so far!

Just to trying to be a little different, I chose to create a fancy kamisori from a GD66. A few pics of the process are included. Have had 2 nice shaves with this one. Cheers.

View attachment 1679721View attachment 1679722View attachment 1679723View attachment 1679724View attachment 1679725View attachment 1679726View attachment 1679728View attachment 1679729View attachment 1679730View attachment 1679731
That's absolutely beautiful. Doesn't look like a cheap razor in any way. Amazing work.

I'm not finished...life got super crazy busy last couple of weeks and I haven't touched a razor in ages.
I'll finish this one up, and I'll post up pictures...but I've missed the deadline for the comp.

This is meant to be the quiet part of the year for my business...but I've still found myself coming home at the end of the day and sitting down for a couple of hours with admin stuff then just going to bed...and we have started some house renovations as well which is sucking time.

I'll have a finished item to show in a week or two, but go ahead without me for the comp, and I'll be in like Flynn next year.

I'm not finished...life got super crazy busy last couple of weeks and I haven't touched a razor in ages.
I'll finish this one up, and I'll post up pictures...but I've missed the deadline for the comp.

This is meant to be the quiet part of the year for my business...but I've still found myself coming home at the end of the day and sitting down for a couple of hours with admin stuff then just going to bed...and we have started some house renovations as well which is sucking time.

I'll have a finished item to show in a week or two, but go ahead without me for the comp, and I'll be in like Flynn next year.
Sorry you won't be joining the competition but life sometimes gets in the way. Looking forward to seeing what you make when you get it done.

Top Bottom