What's new

INFO! The 2023 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

I just want to apologize to everyone for muddying up this thread. I didnt mean to get off topic and cause trouble!! I wanted a cheaper straight to practice honing and getting it shave ready and thought the gold dollars are pretty cheap so i could practice my honing stropping and getting a razor ready to shave instead of using my vintage resto projects and ruining a nice vintage!

I just want to apologize to everyone for muddying up this thread. I didnt mean to get off topic and cause trouble!! I wanted a cheaper straight to practice honing and getting it shave ready and thought the gold dollars are pretty cheap so i could practice my honing stropping and getting a razor ready to shave instead of using my vintage resto projects and ruining a nice vintage!
I don't think you caused any trouble. In my view, it's just a useful but still civilised discussion. People will have different opinions, regardles what is under debate.

If you want a GD only for practicing honing and then throw it in the bin if you mess up, I don't think that's necessarily a bad deal. But if it has severe geometry issues, then you might have to put more effort to make something out of it. Or you could just get rid of it right away without loosing much money.

Alternatively, you could look on the second hand market and buy a vintage one in a semi decent shape, chances are it will have less geometry problems. If it's heavily rusted near the edge, then don't expect that edge to hold up very well. But it should be faily easy to find a decent one with only superficial rust.

If you understand what you're getting into, I think either way will be ok.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I spent hours grinding the point underwater to a lovely Spanish style and was very happy with the finished result. Then I dropped it onto a concrete floor - only a couple of feet. They don't make Gold Dollars the way they use to.

IMG_20230504_132818.jpg

Next week I will start on giving this blade a different point styles, one that hopefully is not as delicate.

This morning I spent hours grinding the point underwater to a lovely Spanish style and was very happy with the finished result. Then I dropped it onto a concrete floor - only a couple of feet. They don't make Gold Dollars the way they use to.

Next week I will start on giving this blade a different point styles, one that hopefully is not as delicate.

It's always after the work, isn't it? They never fall on the floor coming out of the box.

Could call it a "Reverse Dreadnought". Or something...

Does it need to be the good dollar 66 to enter - I’m happy to try but I dont have quick access to get a 66 from china - I can get a gd 100 - still a very plain basic version.

IMG_1085.jpeg

Did the same to my entry last year...and it became a shorty.
Sucks when it happens!

I know it is not practical but I kind of like that tip on the left side.

It took me a minute to realize that's not what a Spanish point is supposed to look like.

Sorry that happened. I hope you can salvage something from it.

Here we go...

(I think it's a condition of British citizenship to say that at least three times, so "Here we go, here we go, here we go".)

Not completely sure whether I'll go with beech or mahogany, but beech is looking like the one. They'll both darken with beeswax or oil.

Screenshot from 2023-05-06 10-18-36.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I reprofiled the point, did my grinding work on the shank/stabiliser and was happy with the result. This morning I got into the sanding and polishing - all by hand.

Started with 320 W&D then 600, 800, 1k and 2k. The blade was looking beautiful. It was while I was doing my final polish with Autpsol that I noticed the faintest of a crack at about mid-length of the edge. Upon closer inspection, the crack went right through the blade from the edge up to about 6mm long.

I gave up in discust and through the blade in the bin!

I'm not going to let a crappy GD 66 ruin my day. I have now ordered two more from China, just to be on the safe side. If they arrive before the last week of June, I will have the time to modify one and still be in the competition.

I reprofiled the point, did my grinding work on the shank/stabiliser and was happy with the result. This morning I got into the sanding and polishing - all by hand.

Started with 320 W&D then 600, 800, 1k and 2k. The blade was looking beautiful. It was while I was doing my final polish with Autpsol that I noticed the faintest of a crack at about mid-length of the edge. Upon closer inspection, the crack went right through the blade from the edge up to about 6mm long.

I'm not going to let a crappy GD 66 ruin my day. I have now ordered two more from China, just to be on the safe side. If they arrive before the last week of June, I will have the time to modify one and still be in the competition.
Sorry you weren't able to salvage the blade. I hope you get some more "raw material" in time!

Never let a Chinese blade beat you... I'm sure you'll turn out something to be admired!

I’m pressed for time , tired of scrolling , not entering the competition it’s been a long time since I got some and want to find some cheap GDs to try out some ideas. Years since I’ve been on eBay. I guess I got older bored and fed up with the BS.
Point me in a direction. Don’t care if it takes a month on the slow boat from China.
$200 gold dollars? When did this nonsense happen?
I’ll leave it to you guys to just say
“ go here Mark”
Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom