What's new

INFO! The 2023 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

This morning I spent hours grinding the point underwater to a lovely Spanish style and was very happy with the finished result. Then I dropped it onto a concrete floor - only a couple of feet. They don't make Gold Dollars the way they use to.

Next week I will start on giving this blade a different point styles, one that hopefully is not as delicate.
You could always call this point the “Bat Wing” :laugh::blink:

Larry

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Got an additional 6 for $15. Can’t complain.
Sounds good. GD 66s can be an economical and fun blade to play with. At times they produce a razor that is also enjoyable to shave with.

My latest purchase was two at about US$12 total including shipping. Just hoping they arrive before the last week of June so that I can still be in this competition. I will modify both to my liking and probably PIF one to a worthy member.

Sounds good. GD 66s can be an economical and fun blade to play with. At times they produce a razor that is also enjoyable to shave with.
Thank you for the info. And yes, I do have some experience with them. Actually I’m posting a favorite oldie GD in SOTD. A bit fru-fru . And I’m pairing it with a blade I just did this afternoon.
Again, thanks.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My replacement GD66s have arrived in Australia (10 days). Next they need to clear customs and have Australia Post deliver them. Looks like they will be in my hot sweaty hands early June. Until then, I have a couple of weeks to think about how I can improve this already exceptionally good razor 😊.

Life is full of challenges.

My replacement GD66s have arrived in Australia (10 days). Next they need to clear customs and have Australia Post deliver them. Looks like they will be in my hot sweaty hands early June. Until then, I have a couple of weeks to think about how I can improve this already exceptionally good razor 😊.

Life is full of challenges.
Great news! Hope you get them soon.

Not competing but my recent order of 10 should be here around the 8th. So they say.
Gives me a cushion to maybe get a couple right. Maybe I should have just got a dozen in case I really screw up.

Last edited:
Almost feel like I'm cheating by getting stuck in while others are still waiting for the post...

Working title : "No, I'm Sixtysix" - with apologies to Kirk Douglas and Thiers Issard. I wanted to try something that looked more like an established "proper razor" this time round, so I'm calling it an homage.

Rough stuff mostly done. Square point, stabiliser gone and thumb area shaped to pretend it has Grelot ambitions. Beechwood scales - I'm thinking beeswax to finish so it's raw-ish wood rather than varnished or stained.

Out with the files and sandpaper...

Screenshot from 2023-05-20 11-02-03.png

Not competing but my recent order of 10 should be here around the 8th. So they say.
Gives me a cushion to maybe get a couple right. Maybe I should have just got a dozen in case I really screw up.
If you get the time, go ahead and jump into the competition. You have until July 1.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I live well out of town so do not get mail delivery. I received a message from the post office that they have a parcel for me to collect. Chinese tracking shows "Delivered". I will make a special trip into town this morning. Here's hoping that that parcel is two Gold Dollar 66s.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
They are here!

IMG_20230530_151955.jpg

Before they arrive, I thought that I would have to reprofiled the heel area. Looks like GD have already fixed the heel problem.

Now to work out how I can improve upon existing perfection. Life is full of chachallenges.

I'm not going to let a crappy GD 66 ruin my day. I have now ordered two more from China, just to be on the safe side. If they arrive before the last week of June, I will have the time to modify one and still be in the competition
Amazon is your friend haha

Top Bottom