What's new

INFO! The 2023 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After detailed examination of my two new GD66s, I selected the one the one that showed the most promise for modification.

The selected SR had some almost invisible faults. The toe and head line-up was not quite square with the top edge of the spine. They were out by almost 1°. The heel profile curve was not quite tangential with the edge line. Two of the jimp serrations were slightly uneven with the rest of the jimping. I just don't know how that SR escaped Ningbo Gold Dollar's stringent and thorough quality control. Must have been a very rare off day for them.

Anyway, with these now known fault to an otherwise perfect razor, I set about commencing my modifications. My intention was the have this already near perfect SR looking as close to original as possible when finished. It is working out that that may not be achieved.

Knowing that I would have to work on the faulty jimp serrations, I removed the exquisite ABS plastic scales. Although trying to save the scales for later refitting, I failed. The pin in the spacer under the shank broke.

Next I reworked the point and heel area. I was hoping to save the detailed fine artwork on the blade's face but after working on the point, that artwork just didn't look balanced. It had to go. From there I moved on to working the jimping area. All was starting to look good.

Then the hard work started. The spine surface had fine striations left over from the blade's factory grinding (think about 80 grit). I set about sanding these striations out as I want to give the spine a close to mirror finish. The spine surface is now finished with 2k grit W&D and ready for its polishing sequence.

Now I have to decide if I will polish the blade's face and reverse or leave them with their original grind striations. I'm not looking forward to all that sanding to prepare for polishing.

I have selected some old timber for the replacement scales and cut their profile. Yesterday I received some pinning materials from Austin Kennedy in Virginia, USA.

I am working on a professional project over the weekend for a client in Korea so this Gold Dollar restoration/modification project will have to go onto the backburner for a few days.

So… gunna do another box set? 😁
Besides , there’s no way I could compete with rbscebu.
He’s got it nailed when it comes to GD 66’s and his methods reading his posts .
He’s given me pointers on them as well. So Helpful. Very instructive.

I’ve ground a lot of GDs but I can’t master his technique of grinding under water as I can’t hold my breath very long.
I’ll wait for a tutorial.

Last edited:
So...first night with no Mrs and no kid...I got busy!

1000004658.jpg

1000004659.jpg

Only rough profiled so far, but I'm liking it.

Besides , there’s no way I could compete with rbscebu.
He’s got it nailed when it comes to GD 66’s and his methods reading his posts .
He’s given me pointers on them as well. So Helpful. Very instructive.

I’ve ground a lot of GDs but I can’t master his technique of grinding under water as I can’t hold my breath very long.
I’ll wait for a tutorial.

Well, are we really living if we’re not learning?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Blade profile finished and part way through the blade polishing. Lead wedge is made and pinning materials are on hand.

Today I finished treating the new scales with CA. This is my first attempt at CA treating of timber. Fourteen coats of CA, sanding with W&D between each coat. Started sanding with 600 then worked my way through and up to 2k grit on the final coat. Finished it with an Autosol polish. I probably over-did it but I am learning - and learnt a lot.

The CA treatment is not perfect but I'm pleased with my first result.

Next will be to finish the blade polishing, put it all together, finish the detailing and hone it up for its shave test.

Last edited:
Blade profile finished and part way through the blade polishing. Lead wedge is made and pinning materials are on hand.

Today I finished treating the new scales with CA. This is my first attempt at CA treating of timber. Fourteen coats of CA, sanding with W&D between each coat. Started sanding with 600 then worked my way through and up to 2k grit on the final coat. Finished it with an Autosol polish. I probably over-did it but I am learning - and learnt a lot.

The CA treatment is not perfect but I'm pleased with my first result.

Next will be to finish the blade polishing, put it all together, finish the detailing and hone it up for its shave test.
Sounds like it's coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the CA treatment on the scales.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now all assembled. I didn't get the shank grinding just right so will need to grind about 1.5mm off in one place. Once I am happy with the razor's in-hand feel, I will give it a final polish and hone it up ready for the shave test sometime next week.

One of the things that I did differently than normal was that I used brass pins with nickel alloy collars. I quite like the effect. The nickel alloy collars really highlight the polished peened heads of the brass pins.

As for the CA finish on the timber scales, it looks very good and really highlights the timber grain. The only problem for me is that it feels rather plasticy, were I am use to the feel of natural timber. Next time I try a CA finish, I will apply much less CA, hoping to retain a lot of the natural timber feel.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Finished honing my GD66 modification competition entry. Heavy metal removal on 400 Chinese synthetic, bevel set and initial refinement on 1k, 3k and 8k Chinese synthetics. Then onto a 10k Japanese synthetic before lapping films and finishing on diamond pasted balsa. Will shave test it tomorrow and, if it passes, clean it up for its photo shoot.

Pretty much there. I had a picture just before assembly, but it's too close to where it's going to be to post without a spoiler alert.

I'm another fan of the 400, 1k, 3k, 8k Chinese synthetic stones progression, with a 15k finisher and a run around a seatbelt webbing + Silverline white hanging strop before leather.

Barring mishaps or alien abduction we'll be here for the 1st of July.

“Here are the brass pins with nickel alloy collars. The collars came from a pre-1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" I had lying around.”

You can make near identical domed collars using Micro Fasteners 0 washers and a doming block. Blocks are inexpensive, you will only use 1 or 2 holes, no need to buy expensive multi domed blocks, $10-20.

It only takes a couple taps to dome a washer, you will need to deburr and re-drill the ID hole to fit. Easy job with a 1/16th inch drill in a pin vise. Dome collars help keep the pivot pin in tension and look more finished than flat washers.

Nice pinning.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shave test this morning. All I can say is WOW!

What a shave. In my eyes I have already won this competition. Others need not even try.

I was going to PIF this modified GD after the competition but now no way. This SR could be just about my perfect razor. It may not win any beauty contest but it feels oh so good in hand and shaves to perfection. I expect this SR will stay in my ready-use rotation for a long time.

This evening I will finish cleaning the razor up ready for its photo shoot in tomorrow morning's golden hour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom