What's new

The 2 pass shave.

Interesting thread. I usually do WTG XTG ATG + touchup, but if I have any irritation,cuts, or bumps I get a pretty decent shave with just WTG XTG. Sometimes that's my Saturday morning shave as well when I'm lazy but need an excuse for a splash of AS.

Two passes and touch up, pretty much day in and day out. Once every two or three months I do a three pass shave for a real BBS if I'm anticipating a close encounter with my wife. Hey! We're talking about almost 30 years of marriage here. Things aren't quite the same as during the first few years.... Sorry to let you young studs in on such a well kept marital secret.

Oh, yeah, I have sensitive skin and do a two-pass shave once in a while to let my neck recuperate. It's especially needed if I've sweating a lot, like a hot summer day of yard work. No, it's not BBS but I look clean-shaven and there's only spots of minute scratchiness. I can get a BBS with a touch up after that but that touch up is where it gets me. If I get a two-pass shave in once a week my neck really appreciates it.

i am transitioning to a 2 pass shave and getting great results, actually same as my 3 pass.

i started by doing a couple 2 pass shaves with a slant, then today figured my face likes less passes and tried it with a gillette #70 and a polsilver (one of the best blades out there if you ask me) and got great results again.

3 passess works for me but if i can make 2 pass work and get the same results, it's a no brainer...i'll be moving to a 2 pass shave with the razors that work. i'm guessing my techs, blue tip and feather will not be 2 pass shaves, but for others like the #70 and a few others where it works, my face will thank me for the fewer passes.

when I do 3 pass (which has been 99% of the time up until a few days ago), I would do the following: WTG, XTG and ATG and no have to do any touchups. for my 2 pass, I do the following: WTG, ATG, no touchups.

but as others have said, whatever works for you is best for you.

+2. Thanks for the tip brucered and reminder that a good close irritation free shave that may not quite be BBS still beats a close shave with irritation any day.

Most of the time I can get a great shave with two passes, some razors require three to get a great shave. It all depends on the razor and blade I'm using. I'm still trying to find what's best for me.

I've switched to primarily a two-pass shave with touchups for daily shaving, 'cause I really don't need the extra pass with only a day's growth. I also do pretty much the same whenever I use my slant, because it's so damned efficient at cutting hair there's no need to do more. However, if I skip a day or more shaving, the first shave after with a non-slant's always a three-pass+.

I've gone almost exclusively to a two-pass. I recently improved my blade angle which makes my first pass reduce more than I used to and now my second pass can be a little more aggressive.

Yep. M-F is a 2-pass & touch up; usually 2 x WTG. Saturday night date night (19 years married unlike mistervee who's got 30)
I usually do a WTG, WTG, XTG/ATG hybrid. Close enough.

I'm glad that it works for you. As far as I'm concerned, I'll stick with the 3 pass + touch-up. WTG, 2x XTG.

I'm afraid that ATG is not for me, took a long time to learn that too!

I'm a daily shaver. Two passes give me a close, comfortable shave. WTG then a hybrid XTG on my face and ATG on my neck.

I'm doing a two pass shave for now, since I'm still getting the hang of DE shaving. First one is WTG, the second XTG and it's still better than any other shave I've had before! I strongly recommend this technique to any other beginners!

As someone vary new to wet shaving, I'm finding that two passes is working better for me. I've figured out the light touch has saved a lot of razor burn. And since the hairs on my neck go in every direction, this has been a better approach. It is also taking less time, as I'm getting more used to wet shaving. I have also purchased a couple of vintage Gillette razors,but have stuck with the EJ89, until I have more experience.

I can get a decent shave with 2 passes, especially if shaving 7 days a week which is often the case. I favour a 3 or 4 pass shave, but 2 passes - especially if one focusses on technique, prep, and blade angle - can get the job done. And yes, it's easier on the epidermis.

I'm contemplating switching to a 2 pass shave for weekdays, but perhaps with XTG as the first pass and ATG as the second. What I'm wondering is the WTG pass absolutely necessary as the first pass always. Do any of you skip that as well?

Right now, I use a three pass shave, but am interested in cutting down to a 2 pass shave. My concern is getting close enough. I noticed some of you use a "hybrid" XTG pass. What do you mean by that? Also, would switching to an adjustable help?

Top Bottom