What's new

Analysis of irritation…

I’ve been wet shaving for about 14 years (except when I’ve grown a beard). Today I had something I’d like input on. The shave itself seemed very nice — bbs with no irritation. I felt smooth and comfortable for about an hour or so afterwards. Then I noticed a pronounced irritation all over the area I shaved. Usually these days, if I have irritation* it’s because I overwork a certain area or apply too much pressure**. Don't think either a-plies today. When I do that, it’s an instant or near instant feedback.

Thoughts on what might have caused this? My only theory is a reaction to the GFT limes cream that I’ve begun to 3017.

* the consistent exception is using my mmoc to go atg for a 2nd pass.
** I have neuropathy and don’t always have fine motor skill and feeling. That didn’t seem to be a big issue this morning but might have been worse than I thought.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve been wet shaving for about 14 years (except when I’ve grown a beard). Today I had something I’d like input on. The shave itself seemed very nice — bbs with no irritation. I felt smooth and comfortable for about an hour or so afterwards. Then I noticed a pronounced irritation all over the area I shaved. Usually these days, if I have irritation* it’s because I overwork a certain area or apply too much pressure**. Don't think either a-plies today. When I do that, it’s an instant or near instant feedback.

Thoughts on what might have caused this? My only theory is a reaction to the GFT limes cream that I’ve begun to 3017.

* the consistent exception is using my mmoc to go atg for a 2nd pass.
** I have neuropathy and don’t always have fine motor skill and feeling. That didn’t seem to be a big issue this morning but might have been worse than I thought.
I just checked my journal and I don't seem to have the dates recorded, but I started wet shaving in Feb. of 2022. I was using one razor until September... Somewhere, in the months in between, I had a skin reaction to a popular soap I used. I had red bumps all over my cheeks... none on my neck, oddly enough. For decades, I'd been using a Gillette cartridge razor of some sort, usually with Edge Sensitive Skin gel, after it first came out.. and sometimes, the Gillette Fusion gel... with no skin issues whatsoever.

But.... I guess because I'm older and developed psoriatic arthritis along the way... first affecting my skin (back, initially), then later, my joints... my face decided it was no longer going to tolerate the ingredients used to add fragrance to shaving soaps, regular face cleansers, etc... This according to my dermatologist.

So, though I can't say for sure, I'm guessing your face is telling you to lighten up on the lime. I tried a "natural" brushless shaving cream to bring along on our recent trip... I didn't see the "unscented" version they offer... but I tried the natural... Immediately, my skin reacted to the citrus ingredients and burned. Again, I'm not sure that's what's going on with you, but it just might be the case.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is not my area of expertise so I'm only guessing, but given that the irritation occurs an hour after your shave it would seem to be a reaction to a product. When I use too much pressure my face does not provide me with the luxury of waiting an hour for my punishment.

Could be a bunch of different things or combinations of them. One, as stated above by mm1951, it could be the soap that you are using. Try a good clean natural unscented soap. The less crap ( ingredients) the better.
So you will need to methodical and analyze your process, technique, hardware and software to find the culprit or culprits of the delayed irritation.
Some thoughts, comments and suggests:
Some Shaves state they do 2 or 3 passes. I believe some shavers are not doing a clean efficient pass. Some like to go over and buff a lot. You stated that you do not do that but really analyze your passes and habits. Specially do not re-shave areas that a protected with a good soap. Do not rely on the residual soap theory.
Think about the blade you are using. Use fresh ones. Some like to stretch the life of a blade. Buffing and a lot of water/rinses will kill that blade ever quicker. Do not wipe the blade. When done, take the razor apart wipe the razor down and just pat the razor dry and let it air dry.
Could be a bit much pressure, only you will know. Razor could be a bit to aggressive for you ( or again blade too sharp or too dull).
So I could go on with more, just hope you get to the root cause of the irritation. But analyze your routine, shave smart.
But seems a good unscented clean soap is a good place to start.

BFX

My face was still a little sore today. I went with a different setup…

IMG_0497.jpeg

‘So far better. Hard to tell if anything is remnant but I feel the same after as before the shave. Will probably try a one pass tomorrow and see from there.

I just checked my journal and I don't seem to have the dates recorded, but I started wet shaving in Feb. of 2022. I was using one razor until September... Somewhere, in the months in between, I had a skin reaction to a popular soap I used. I had red bumps all over my cheeks... none on my neck, oddly enough. For decades, I'd been using a Gillette cartridge razor of some sort, usually with Edge Sensitive Skin gel, after it first came out.. and sometimes, the Gillette Fusion gel... with no skin issues whatsoever.

But.... I guess because I'm older and developed psoriatic arthritis along the way... first affecting my skin (back, initially), then later, my joints... my face decided it was no longer going to tolerate the ingredients used to add fragrance to shaving soaps, regular face cleansers, etc... This according to my dermatologist.

So, though I can't say for sure, I'm guessing your face is telling you to lighten up on the lime. I tried a "natural" brushless shaving cream to bring along on our recent trip... I didn't see the "unscented" version they offer... but I tried the natural... Immediately, my skin reacted to the citrus ingredients and burned. Again, I'm not sure that's what's going on with you, but it just might be the case.
I used Jack Black Beard lube for years with no problem.
I'm using Jack Black Supreme Creme, and Noble Otter Lonestar. I can't use either on a daily basis. I start breaking out in about 3 days. I can swap back and forth.

For me to give someone with there is no r years of shaving under their belt would be goofy, homely in those year you learned you beard, face, and skin change over time. The is NO one blade, razor, soap, or b rush that are perfect pairing for everyone.

Try, try, try again until you find that work ]s for you.

If the plain soap
Could be a bunch of different things or combinations of them. One, as stated above by mm1951, it could be the soap that you are using. Try a good clean natural unscented soap. The less crap ( ingredients) the better.
So you will need to methodical and analyze your process, technique, hardware and software to find the culprit or culprits of the delayed irritation.
Some thoughts, comments and suggests:
Some Shaves state they do 2 or 3 passes. I believe some shavers are not doing a clean efficient pass. Some like to go over and buff a lot. You stated that you do not do that but really analyze your passes and habits. Specially do not re-shave areas that a protected with a good soap. Do not rely on the residual soap theory.
Think about the blade you are using. Use fresh ones. Some like to stretch the life of a blade. Buffing and a lot of water/rinses will kill that blade ever quicker. Do not wipe the blade. When done, take the razor apart wipe the razor down and just pat the razor dry and let it air dry.
Could be a bit much pressure, only you will know. Razor could be a bit to aggressive for you ( or again blade too sharp or too dull).
So I could go on with more, just hope you get to the root cause of the irritation. But analyze your routine, shave smart.
But seems a good unscented clean soap is a good place to start.

BFX
if this doesn't work you could try alum block or a different after shave. 3 passes for me is guaranteed irritation on my neck. 2 passes is my limit so I use more aggressive razors to wipe it out. Open comb razors I rarely get irritation from minus the Blackbird which is like a cheese grater on my face.

Top Bottom