What's new

Thater Premium Boar

Don't know flip about brush making but it looks like the knot was not imbedded properly in the adhesive.
I've seen that, and the entire knot falls out usually intact. These knots are coming apart and coming out in pieces.

I've seen that, and the entire knot falls out usually intact. These knots are coming apart and coming out in pieces.
Indeed. It almost looks like the glue holding the knot together - not the knot to the handle - ate through the hair.

I gotta say, along with my Thater boar, I also have a beautiful 26mm 2band badger beehive Thater. There's no way you'll ever convince me the same person made both brushes. The difference in workmanship is like night and day.

I gotta say, along with my Thater boar, I also have a beautiful 26mm 2band badger beehive Thater. There's no way you'll ever convince me the same person made both brushes. The difference in workmanship is like night and day.
I've got a 4125/2 silvertip well over a decade old and still my favorite badger of all time (and I've tried a lot of em).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find it interesting that I have had the exact opposite experience with this brush. The break in was fine, it's not at all scritchy (although I use a scuttle) and the backbone is fine. I don't, however, like the handle much.

I'm fairly certain, given my experience, that you got a bad brush. Either that or you need to lighten up on your preacher curls before lathering. I will be incredibly disappointed if they don't send you a new one.

I find it interesting that I have had the exact opposite experience with this brush. The break in was fine, it's not at all scritchy (although I use a scuttle) and the backbone is fine. I don't, however, like the handle much.

Which handle do you have, the beehive or the 4125 handle?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have receive an email bounce notification. I used the same email address I used when I complained about this brush back in February, but the address apparently no longer is operative. So, I found another way to get in touch with the vendor and did so.

I am awaiting a response.

Thater The Broken Boar!.jpg

Given my experience with this brush I certainly don't want anything from Thater or the vendor. The vendor blew it with me back in February. Somewhere on the forum I posted my email to Bullgoose and Phil's response to me.

Maybe someday I will become interested in putting another knot on the handle. I actually like the handle very much. It's very good looking to me and the shape works well for me. It could certainly be reused. However, I don't really have much interest in knot replacement, don't know exactly how to do it, and don't know what knot I'd use if I were interested in knot replacement.

Not to worry. I have a smallish collection of truly premium boar brushes and a sufficient number of good badgers. The loss of this lousy brush is no big deal.

Thater Failure.jpg

Anyone thinking of buying the Thater Premium Boar might be interested in knowing the brush has given me nothing but an understanding that Thater doesn't make premium brushes and the vendor doesn't listen to their customers. It's the worst boar I've purchased at any price, by miles, and has given me no satisfaction at all.

Well, that's not fair. I did get to compare the Thater head to head with my other boars. It failed the comparison tests but it was fun doing them so I got something out of the lousy Thater Premium Boar before it fell apart.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hope I'm not opining too soon, but I just inspected my brush with a 10x loupe. I didn't find any flaws; the workmanship appears excellent. I wonder if they may have had either a bad batch of glue or a trainee making brushes?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hope I'm not opining too soon, but I just inspected my brush with a 10x loupe. I didn't find any flaws; the workmanship appears excellent. I wonder if they may have had either a bad batch of glue or a trainee making brushes?

Thater. $85. Trainee Made It. .jpg

Sounds about right.

If it were my brush, I would be angry.

However, the vendor is a fella who sells stuff. He did not make it. To my mind, the brush maker bears the responsibility to make this right, and that means a new brush.

My two pennies.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If it were my brush, I would be angry.

However, the vendor is a fella who sells stuff. He did not make it. To my mind, the brush maker bears the responsibility to make this right, and that means a new brush.

My two pennies.

I'm with you. Two pennies well spent!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Issues with Thater's customer service on defective brushes rang a bell in my feeble, old mind. I think it was because people lathered circular rather than only with paint-brush strokes, Thater claimed it was user abuse of the brush, voiding the warranty, resulting in a vendor discontinuing to carry them after he made good on the vendor's problem.

My google-fu is apparently working and yes, it was Thater and the vendor was BullGoose.
Shavemac Silvertip vs Thater silvertip. Can't decide!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Issues with Thater's customer service on defective brushes rang a bell in my feeble, old mind. I think it was because people lathered circular rather than only with paint-brush strokes, Thater claimed it was user abuse of the brush, voiding the warranty, resulting in a vendor discontinuing to carry them after he made good on the vendor's problem.

My google-fu is apparently working and yes, it was Thater and the vendor was BullGoose.
Shavemac Silvertip vs Thater silvertip. Can't decide!

Customer service at its worst?

Interesting post. Thanks.

Top Bottom