What's new

Thater Premium Boar

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anybody who knows me knows two things about me.
  1. I love my collection of premium boar brushes.
  2. I regret purchasing the Thater Premium Boar.
The Thater Premium Boar brush is a lousy brush by any standard.
  1. It is floppy.
  2. It is scritchy.
  3. It won't break in.
  4. In every head to head test I've conducted it fails to perform as well as whatever boar I put up against it.
It does have a very nice handle, but the handle doesn't make up for a lousy and expensive and totally unsatisfactory brush.

Partly because I want to like the brush I've persisted with the break in process. Mind you, this is a brush I've had since February and not had a single good experience with.

ThaterPOS.Boar.10-31-18.JPG

This happened tonight while I was towel drying the brush's tips following a soak. Just normal breaking in stuff. What a knot!

Thing is, I'm not sure this is worse. What a P.O.S. brush. I told Bullgoose it was a bad brush shortly after I received it, but they didn't buy it. Now this.

I've got a good many good boar brushes and a selection of badgers, but this expensive - $85 worth of expensive - Thater Premium Boar really takes the cake for poor quality. Across the board it's the worst brush I've ever seen.

I'm not happy about any aspect of this. It's not going to ruin my day, but I suspect I won't be buying any more Thaters.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Now THAT would **** me off. I think i've seen other owners posting the same type of photo for that brush. How many make a trend, I wonder?
EDIT
Hey, we have automatic censoring here! Go figure.

Back to the brush. Mine broke in quickly and I really like it. No excuse for a knot breaking though.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow Jim. I dont know what else to say. I'd say sorry but you might be glad to be rid of it lol.

I'm sure I've seen another Thater do the exact same thing somewhere on this forum.

I'd contact Bullgoose and or Thater right away - somebody needs to make that right. I've never had a Thater boar, but my almost 12 year old 4125 silvertip is the best high-end badger I've ever owned (hasn't even shed a hair in like 10 years).

If you cannot get any satisfaction from Bullgoose and Thater, there is one thing you might try.

Dip ONLY the tips of the brush in very hot, but not quite boiling water, let's say 185-190 degrees F. As soon as the bristles hit the hot water, they will soften. Do not leave the tips in the water more than a couple of seconds. Pull them out and allow them to cool a few seconds and then repeat the process several times. You will soon find the hairs a starting to split. I did this with an Omega Professional boar brush and it is now as soft as a silvertip badger.

I hate to even suggest this for an expensive brush, but if all else fails this might help reclaim a brush you feel is otherwise unusable.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the brush Jim. I would be pretty miffed at that happening to a brush that cost me that much. Apart from contacting the manufacturer I don't know what else to do apart from finding a knot that you like to replace the one that you have.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I hate to even suggest this for an expensive brush, but if all else fails this might help reclaim a brush you feel is otherwise unusable.

I dont think theres any fixing that brush. Seating another knot would be an option, but then you'll have $150 brush so you'd need to be in love with that handle.

Anybody who knows me knows two things about me.
  1. I love my collection of premium boar brushes.
  2. I regret purchasing the Thater Premium Boar.
The Thater Premium Boar brush is a lousy brush by any standard.
  1. It is floppy.
  2. It is scritchy.
  3. It won't break in.
  4. In every head to head test I've conducted it fails to perform as well as whatever boar I put up against it.
It does have a very nice handle, but the handle doesn't make up for a lousy and expensive and totally unsatisfactory brush.

Partly because I want to like the brush I've persisted with the break in process. Mind you, this is a brush I've had since February and not had a single good experience with.

-----------------------------

Aside from that, you like it, huh?

That's a shame Jim. I've read your past negative experience with this brush and now this happens. I'm real sorry to hear that. I really like my Thater Boar Brush. It is broken in and very soft.

Sorry @Chan Eil Whiskers. That brush didn't work for you since the beginning. Now it doesn't deserve anymore of your attention.

Maybe you can put the handle on BST trying to recover something from this unpleasant experience.

Sometimes the luxury buying process is like at the movie Catch me if you can :

Frank Abagnale Sr.: You know why the Yankees always win, Frank?

Frank Abagnale, Jr.: 'Cause they have Mickey Mantle?

Frank Abagnale Sr.: No, it's 'cause the other teams can't stop staring at those damn pinstripes.

We think that an item is of high quality because it has a certain brand name and after we buy it, we convince and adapt our mindset that this is a great item.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I emailed Bullgoose last night and sent them a copy of the photograph.

Thater Premium Boar. $85. (meme).640.jpg

It's not going to ruin my life. It's a brush. I've paid more for things I liked even less than this brush. Still, it's been a lousy brush from the get go, and now it's not even good for cleaning the dust off my keyboard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you cannot get any satisfaction from Bullgoose and Thater, there is one thing you might try.

Dip ONLY the tips of the brush in very hot, but not quite boiling water, let's say 185-190 degrees F. As soon as the bristles hit the hot water, they will soften. Do not leave the tips in the water more than a couple of seconds. Pull them out and allow them to cool a few seconds and then repeat the process several times. You will soon find the hairs a starting to split. I did this with an Omega Professional boar brush and it is now as soft as a silvertip badger.

I'm a bit confused.

Thater Premium Boar. $85. (meme).640.jpg

Dipping the tips isn't gonna fix this.

Reports like this are exactly why I have not put in an order for the gorgeous 3670/5 Azul Cielo. Jeez, that is pathetic for a brush in this price range.

M

member 119848

I would keep persisting.

(complaining at BullGoose of course, not breaking the brush in)

Top Bottom