What's new

TGN High Mountain White

Anybody with any experience with these knots help me out. I've got a nice Made-Rite 100 handle with a 21mm hole. So I figured a 20mm knot would be just the ticket. My question is how deep do I want to set the knot? the hole is about 10mm deep right now, and the knot has a loft of 65mm. Set in the handle it would have a loft of 55mm. Do you think it would be too much of a lather hog at that loft? My other option is to go with a boar knot which would make for a more proper restoration as the handle does say pure bristle on it.

I have a 24mm TGN HMW knot set at 50mm loft and it is literally perfect. Dealing with similar brushes like a Simpson's classic or a Rooney 1/1 I would have to say that anything over 45mm for face lathering may go into being floppy.

I've used TGN HMW knots in several restorations. While dense, they have very, very little backbone. I set one at 52mm, one at 50mm and one at 48mm. For me, the 48mm is excellent. The 52mm was too floppy for me. The 50mm was at my floppy breaking point. lol

It's all a personal preference thing. I can't deal with floppy knots.

Do yourself a favor (TGN HMW knots aren't cheap), before you set the knot in epoxy, tack the knot in at different loft settings and use the brush. Once you find your ideal loft setting. . . .then epoxy the knot in the handle.

I've used TGN HMW knots in several restorations. While dense, they have very, very little backbone. I set one at 52mm, one at 50mm and one at 48mm. For me, the 48mm is excellent. The 52mm was too floppy for me. The 50mm was at my floppy breaking point. lol

It's all a personal preference thing. I can't deal with floppy knots.

Do yourself a favor (TGN HMW knots aren't cheap), before you set the knot in epoxy, tack the knot in at different loft settings and use the brush. Once you find your ideal loft setting. . . .then epoxy the knot in the handle.

Silicone is good for this.

Ya' know I thought about that after I made the OP. I think a little silicone glue may be in order, also I'll have to fill the handle with epoxy as going any deeper will punch through the shelf. That's okay though, I like a brush with a bit of heft.

I'd go with the previous advice: at 20mm diameter, I'd go no more than 48mm loft, maybe even 45. Testing with the temporary set of silicone is the way to go, because, of course, YMMV. Most vintage brushes originally set with boar have a shelf that is way too shallow for a soft badger knot like the HMW, so go ahead and punch through it and fill the handle. If you don't want to fill the whole thing with epoxy, a piece of synthetic wine cork works well.

Oh, and we need pics when you're done.:thumbup1:

If you are going to set it in epoxy for the final setting Loctite Marine epoxy is excellent (YMMV) but from our experience, once it is set it is done for the rest of the life of the knot and handle (set up time is long longer than 1/2 hour depending on temp). Basically, if there is a mistake, you will have to drill out the knot. Now, I don't know after daily use for 20 years, yet. Best of luck!

If you are going to set it in epoxy for the final setting Loctite Marine epoxy is excellent (YMMV) but from our experience, once it is set it is done for the rest of the life of the knot and handle (set up time is long longer than 1/2 hour depending on temp). Basically, if there is a mistake, you will have to drill out the knot. Now, I don't know after daily use for 20 years, yet. Best of luck!

When payday comes (next week), and I get the knot ordered, and determine the best depth for me, I'll be using some 30 min epoxy I have on hand.

Okay... as promised here are some pic's. the brushes stat's are:

Handle 48mm
Loft 49mm
Total length 97mm
Weight 2oz.

Pre lather:

Post lather:

Turned out great.

How do you like the HMW @ 49mm?

Thanks, I like it fine at 49mm. I tried it less (set with silicone) and it was a bit to stiff. So far it's less of a lather hog than my 24mm silvertip, and of course has a bit more backbone. I think it's going to work out just fine in the rotation.

Top Bottom