What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looking back over the last few pages this thread makes me so happy. I can't even compete with Connie's @Intrigued short rib beef chili (beans knocked down her meal 2 notches though) so I won't. Instead I will just use straight flank or chuck mixed with chili ground beef. Its still great though.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My red is very similar. I brown cubed brisket in bacon fat, use water in place of chicken stock, add no sugar or vinegar, and add some bourbon. I think I'll try the chicken stock (or beef stock). Chili season approaches. BTW if your chili is extra hot (forgot to mention I add a lot of chiles de arbol), a great side is a mango cream cheese jello. I learned that from a friend from El Paso.

My red is very similar. I brown cubed brisket in bacon fat, use water in place of chicken stock, add no sugar or vinegar, and add some bourbon. I think I'll try the chicken stock (or beef stock). Chili season approaches. BTW if your chili is extra hot (forgot to mention I add a lot of chiles de arbol), a great side is a mango cream cheese jello. I learned that from a friend from El Paso.

Try adding a little vinegar. The acid really helps bring out some depth of flavor. It doesn’t take much.

I love the idea of adding some bourbon. Will try that with my next batch.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't add the sugar anymore but the vinegar at the end adds something that brightens it all up.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Wait for a deal on brisket, break out the big knife and cutting board, and cut in 3/4" to 1" cubes. They cook down a bit. The leftovers are PERFECT nacho toppings.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I always make a batch that fills the large (7.25 qt) Dutch oven just about to brim, so there's always something to pop in the freezer. We still have a couple of quarts left, so we'll go through that before I start a new batch.

The last batch was fun. It was the first one when I used meat freshly ground. I used the 1/2" plate, so it was good and coarse. Excellent texture--just like I like it.

When the older son went back out of the nest, we sent him with the house recipe. He actually wrote it down around 10 years ago. I had never written down my recipe and decided I ought to. He and I made it a team effort. I called out everything I was doing as I was doing it, and he wrote it all down, correcting if needed. We sent him off with a copy of that paper.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is using ground beef allowed? I assumed that was a no go.
If I am making it for family or friends, I use a roast like eye of round. If I am making it for coworkers ( only did that once), I supplemented that with hamburger. I don’t like them enough to splurge on two roasts. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wow. This thread has been cooking since 2014 . . . almost long enough to contribute to global warming. :eek2:

I'll eat chilli year around but more so in the colder months.

Link to post #1

Link to Connie / Intrigued's short rib chilli pics

Link to how Connie did it . . .so far as she will admit the truth. And a bit more.
Hey Mike,

Texas stays at a constant 102 degrees year round. If it dips down to 63 in September I call that an Ice Age.

If that happens we bring out the Red almost immediately.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It’s time
C8091C92-CABA-4250-B605-CC37D2AC9756.jpeg

Top Bottom