What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Bob. What makes chili so good is its ease of preparation, and it taste great. Just dump and heat, very simple, very easy. This recipe is not as easy to make. You are actually using real food, like onions instead of onion powder, real garlic instead of granulated garlic, real peppers instead of chili powder, etc. The championship chili cook-offs rarely use real food other than the beef. It's all a series of dumps and most include tomatoes somewhere allow the way, usually canned paste or sauce. This recipe is a throw-back to a time before all that.

I never use onion or garlic powder in my chili.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Do you make it that way on purpose? I mean you don't like garlic or onions. IF not you just must try it it well taste totally better.

No, I love garlic and onion, so I use the real thing, not the ground up and dehydrated stuff. If I can use fresh herb/seasonings, etc, I will always go that route before using the bottled stuff.

Now that's some fine looking chilli there.

Can almost smell it through the screen.... almost..... not quite....

No, I love garlic and onion, so I use the real thing, not the ground up and dehydrated stuff. If I can use fresh herb/seasonings, etc, I will always go that route before using the bottled stuff.

Even better Owen......I understand you now, we usually do the same 98% of the time. ;0)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Even better Owen......I understand you now, we usually do the same 98% of the time. ;0)

Yeah, I should have been clearer in my original statement. I am trying to cook more often now to get a little of the processed stuff out of the diet. Fresh is generally better.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks, Aaron. This has been copied and pasted and I will be trying it shortly after Christmas and I can't wait. I've never made chili this way before. Those of us ignorant types from New England use beans and tomatoes :lol:

Ground beef can still be used. I liked the cubed meat a lot and it has a certain texture that's different than ground. The cubed just takes a lot longer to get tender...similar times with making regular beef stew.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks, Aaron. This has been copied and pasted and I will be trying it shortly after Christmas and I can't wait. I've never made chili this way before. Those of us ignorant types from New England use beans and tomatoes :lol:
Chili is like BBQ, IMO- made different ways in different regions, but all good. There is only one Texas Red, though :biggrin:

The funny thing is though folks argue over this thing called chili. It's peasant food. Made before the advent of refrigeration so you would slaughter a beef and eat on it smoking as much as you could and using the rest till it started to turn. Then you would take the last of the turning meat and add heavy spices, and stew it for a day or two to stretch it. Add masa to stretch the grease. Maybe beans if you were lucky to have them. That's poor! That's "soul" food. That's chili.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The funny thing is though folks argue over this thing called chili. It's peasant food. Made before the advent of refrigeration so you would slaughter a beef and eat on it smoking as much as you could and using the rest till it started to turn. Then you would take the last of the turning meat and add heavy spices, and stew it for a day or two to stretch it. Add masa to stretch the grease. Maybe beans if you were lucky to have them. That's poor! That's "soul" food. That's chili.

You're onto something here. I imagine a trail drive from San Antonio up to Kansas City included chili off the chuck wagon. Beef, onions, garlic, salt, flour and of course peppers. I'm sure a cast iron dutch oven was used. A hardy meal for hardy men.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I won't disagree with its origin but just because it was peasant food (for want of a better word) does not mean it is still that way today.
Take haggis for example, it was for the lower classes to eat now it's well respected and sort after by all classes.
Also many Italian dishes have some very humble origins.
Chili was a means to the end but has survived the invention of refrigeration due to the fact people enjoy eating it.
I do not view myself a peasant by any means.

Now I would like to join the Texas Red Chili club, so I picked up some chili today. I will use a Beef Short Rib.

$20141218_165658.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's a great website on the history of chili.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

Chris, it looks like you found both guajillo and ancho chili's. I used about 6 guajillo and 2 ancho peppers with 2 pounds of beef. Approx. 2 to 3 ounces of peppers. Get those babies completely rehydrated and soft like a noodle.

This is getting pretty exciting.

When you get ready to purée the peppers use a little of the pepper water to get things moving until it's nice and smooth like ketchup.

Last edited:
I won't disagree with its origin but just because it was peasant food (for want of a better word) does not mean it is still that way today.
Take haggis for example, it was for the lower classes to eat now it's well respected and sort after by all classes.
Also many Italian dishes have some very humble origins.
Chili was a means to the end but has survived the invention of refrigeration due to the fact people enjoy eating it.
I do not view myself a peasant by any means.

Now I would like to join the Texas Red Chili club, so I picked up some chili today. I will use a Beef Short Rib.

View attachment 531274

No doubt. But like sauerbraten or many other ethnic dishes the seemingly overworked spices are really there to disguise the meat. Not to stray from topic but I have a wonderful sauerbraten recipe from Vincent Price who was also a classically trained chef that recommends leaving pork to rest at room temperature for 24-48 hours to rest. After 48 hours at 70 degrees F pork has a rancid smell. Add enough vinegar and you can kill it. What remains is something quite different than anything you have ever had this side of Korea. It's sad our palates are so winnowed by discretion.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No doubt. But like sauerbraten or many other ethnic dishes the seemingly overworked spices are really there to disguise the meat. Not to stray from topic but I have a wonderful sauerbraten recipe from Vincent Price who was also a classically trained chef that recommends leaving pork to rest at room temperature for 24-48 hours to rest. After 48 hours at 70 degrees F pork has a rancid smell. Add enough vinegar and you can kill it. What remains is something quite different than anything you have ever had this side of Korea. It's sad our palates are so winnowed by discretion.
I am sure spice can be and is still used to mask rancid meat in some countries but is no longer the mainstay.
Fresh is not always best with meat but rotten is never good.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks, will give it a go. From the ingredients I can say I will love it

Stranded...wish I knew your first name, I am sure you have had the same sauce made for enchiladas or for pulled pork tamales. We all would love to see pictures of the finally dish.

Top Bottom