What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I won't disagree with its origin but just because it was peasant food (for want of a better word) does not mean it is still that way today.
Take haggis for example, it was for the lower classes to eat now it's well respected and sort after by all classes.
Also many Italian dishes have some very humble origins.
Chili was a means to the end but has survived the invention of refrigeration due to the fact people enjoy eating it.
I do not view myself a peasant by any means.

Now I would like to join the Texas Red Chili club, so I picked up some chili today. I will use a Beef Short Rib.

View attachment 531274

Chef Chris, are you ready? Let's see that bowl of Red. Remember, not too thick and not too thin, but just right. YeeHaw!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron, I just sent this recipe to my wife, will have to try it around the upcoming holiday!

That's great news Brian. Please send me a PM or post here for questions.

A high quality ground beef could also be used if browning the 3/4" sized cubed beef is too many extra steps.

Pictures...pictures please.:001_smile

Here one you healthy folks will like!:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

Crockpot Turkey Chili

Serves: 6
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 6 hrs
Total time: 6 hrs 15 mins

Ingredients

• 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
• 1 small white onion, diced
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 29oz. can tomato sauce
• 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
• 2 tbsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• salt & pepper to taste (I only used ½ tsp. salt)

Instructions

1. Prepare crockpot by spraying well with cooking spray or lining with a crockpot liner.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until it is browned, making sure to break it up as you cook it.
3. Add the turkey and onion to the bottom of the crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients on top and stir well to combine.
4. Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
5. Serve and enjoy! Note-Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.

You're onto something here. I imagine a trail drive from San Antonio up to Kansas City included chili off the chuck wagon. Beef, onions, garlic, salt, flour and of course peppers. I'm sure a cast iron dutch oven was used. A hardy meal for hardy men.
Yep to me Chili is very regional just like tamales In Mississippi and Eastern Ark we have Hot Tamales made by mostly AA families. While here in Tx it is a part of the food tapestry Ark Chili unless the Cook is making Texas Red always has Beans and usually it is a combination of Pinto, Kidney and White/navy beans.

My Quick 3 bean Chili takes one can of Navy , Pinto and Red Kidney Beans, 1 pound of 80/20 ground beef and one tube of Pork Sausage. 1 large can of Stewed Tomatoes and 1 small can of HEB Mexican tomatoes with peppers and Mexican Cilantro. Then I add a whole chopped Yellow Onion.

Plus your standard spices like Cumin, Chili Powder and some Beef stock.

First in my Dutch oven or Crock Pot I brown my meat with a touch of salt and pepper, Once Meat is browned I add the Onions then I add the rest of the stuff into the pot. I add Beef stock as needed to make it nice and moist. Put the lid on it and set the Crock pot on low or the stove on low and let it simmer 3-6 hours.

White CHICKEN CHILI

In a large pot add the following:

2 POUNDS CHOPPED CHICKEN (I used a large rotisserie chicken from the SuperCenter and I used only the breast and thigh meat)
½ medium chopped onion
2 cans Navy Beans with liquid
2 cans White Corn drained
2 blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
3-4 cups Chicken Broth (depends on how thick you like it)
2 packages McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning
1 tsp White Pepper
½ TBS Minced Garlic
Decent dose of Cavenders
1 can chopped Green Chilies

Bring to a boil and add simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Add one small container (8 oz I think) sour cream and stir in and simmer for 5 minutes.

Ready to eat! Throw some sharp cheddar cheese and some fritoes on top and you're ready to go.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here one you healthy folks will like!:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

Crockpot Turkey Chili

Serves: 6
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 6 hrs
Total time: 6 hrs 15 mins

Ingredients

• 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
• 1 small white onion, diced
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 29oz. can tomato sauce
• 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
• 2 tbsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• salt & pepper to taste (I only used ½ tsp. salt)

Instructions

1. Prepare crockpot by spraying well with cooking spray or lining with a crockpot liner.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook until it is browned, making sure to break it up as you cook it.
3. Add the turkey and onion to the bottom of the crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients on top and stir well to combine.
4. Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
5. Serve and enjoy! Note-Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.

Are you putting beans and tomatoes in my chili thread? Oh, the humanity!!! Just kidding Delta.:laugh: I like this recipe a lot and one we've made numerous times. The pinto's...yes, but the kidney beans have got to go though(wife won't eat'em). Red beans or black beans take your pick or just through them all in.

BR's 5 Bean Sweet chili. I use a 16 QT cooker to make it. And let it simmer for a whole day..

You can use whatever type of beans you like... You also can add a diced Jalapeno or two in you want it hotter.

3 or 4 lb ground beef
1 lb ground hot or Italian sausage
4 pkgs Chili Mix I use the HOT style
4 cans Italian style diced tomatoes with juice
2 cans Stewed Tomatoes
1 large red onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 can kidney beans (with juice)
2 can pinto beans (with juice)
2 can great white northern (with juices)
1 can Black Eyed Peas (with juice)
2 can Pork & Beans
1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 cup BBQ sauce I use KC Masterpice HOT

Last one for today

This recipe works best with ordinary chili powder, which typically includes not only ground dried chiles but other spices as well. Pure chile powder will be too strong. Chili may be made 2 days ahead, cooled completely, then chilled, covered. Reheat before serving. Onion, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead and chilled in separate sealed plastic bags.

1/2 pound sliced bacon
4 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large white onion, chopped
1 to 2 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup water
1 (28 to 32-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with puree
2 (19-ounce) cans small red beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Accompaniments: toasted, salted pumpkin seeds, chopped red onion, torn fresh cilantro sprigs, diced avocado, lime wedges, sour cream, and warmed corn chips or tortilla chips

Cook bacon in a 6 to 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, turning, until crisp. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot. Crumble bacon. Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Add oil to pot and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown pork in about 6 batches without crowding and transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add onion and jalapenos and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, then cook, stirring, 1 minute. Return pork to pot with any juices accumulated on plate and add broth, coffee, water, and tomatoes with puree.
Simmer chili, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until pork is very tender, about 2 hours. Stir in beans and bring to a simmer, stirring.

Serve chili with bacon and accompaniments.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chef Chris, are you ready? Let's see that bowl of Red. Remember, not too thick and not too thin, but just right. YeeHaw!!
almost ready Aaron................Chili is soaking now.

$20141220_124156.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looking great, Chris- and that is some fine chopping on the garlic and onion. I would need a processor to do that.

That's a great recipe. Thanks for posting. I got to give this a try on a Scout campout. This would be awesome over a fire in a Dutch oven.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and Chris, I just have to say if you keep this up the guys in Austin may make you an honorary Texan.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Owen. The fine dice is made easier with a thin and sharp knife.
I may loss a few points for not having a corn bread with this.
Maybe, but those are points that can be easily made up the next time. I need to get a good knife one day, and learn how to use it properly. If I keep hanging around in the Mess Hall it is just a matter of time.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chef Chris has been a very busy Kiwi. Sorry I wasn't around to see all the excitement. The wife and I attended her work Christmas party downtown Austin at the Driskill Hotel.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Filet

Top Bottom