What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

I'm going to go with something different this year. Injector blades, despite only having one edge, have a reputation for longevity. Personally I found them a little rough going after 15-20 shaves. I should be able to extend this to the full 28. I plan to use my favorite the Schick J1. Its a long handled razor but exceedingly mild. Blades are the common Shick blades made in China, the "Chicks". Should be fun.

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

That's darn nice of you. What's it been... nearly ten years now since Sue passed? I still get choked up about what she went through... her husband dying and then her fight with breast cancer. She was an amazing woman. I never did find the strength or words to post in her thread.

I'm going to go buy something from saintcharlesshave.com right now.

Apologies for de-railing the thread a bit, but it never hurts to remember a great human being.

That's darn nice of you. What's it been... nearly ten years now since Sue passed? I still get choked up about what she went through... her husband dying and then her fight with breast cancer. She was an amazing woman. I never did find the strength or words to post in her thread.

I'm going to go buy something from saintcharlesshave.com right now.

Apologies for de-railing the thread a bit, but it never hurts to remember a great human being.

Sorry but I don't know if this exchange is still active. I started this thread and copied @goby text just to have it started.
However, if there is an easy way as a European to donate I'll make a donation myself.

OK I'm in
I have a Gillette Platinum Plus with two shaves already on it in my Slim, that I think will last through the month.

The blade will be a Gillette Silver Blue this year, although I haven't finalized which razor. I was thinking my 63 Slim, but may use the 58 Flare Tip Super Speed this year. I think I used the Slim last year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was going to give this a miss this year, as I was doing a fair bit of swapping around, but I've changed my mind :D

I'm in! :punk:

IMG_20190129_225655_edit.jpg

I've just loaded up the Dovo shavette with a fresh Derby Premium saloon blade, and this will be a more significant challenge for me than usual this year. :blink: I've never tried sticking with straight format shaves for an extended duration, and it will be interested to see how I get on with trying to just* use the shavette for a month.

*Disclaimers:
A) I might not shave every day. I might need to give myself some recovery days between shaves.
B) I will (evoking Rule #4) be taking one day off and using the Jagger. :ciappa: I have a reunion to go to later in February, and will be wanting to be certain of a fully clean and irritation free shave, which I'm not certain of with the Dovo at my current level of experience.

I'm in!
Took a Nacet to 14 last year so I'm looking to improve by at least one..I shave every other day.
Stuck in a remote camp and won't be able to get my first in till Saturday, but maybe I'll double up on weekends or something.
Good luck, fellas!

I usually shave in the evening as I never seem to have time in the morning so have had shave No1 with mighty Old Type, Gillette Green blade, Cella and my 30mm synthetic brush.
It's the evening of the 31st here in NZ just incase you were wondering :)

May have settled on a blade--an Astra "Blue" Stainless. It's one of the last three blades in a old sampler pack (the other blades being a Personna Med and a Rockwell). Having never used a Astra Stainless before, we'll see how it goes.

I was also thinking about a Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum "Black." I rode one for 12 shaves last month and was disappointed with the last few shaves it provided. But I may have paired it with the wrong razor and I'm willing to try again. It will only be the second time using this blade.

I was going to give this a miss this year, as I was doing a fair bit of swapping around, but I've changed my mind :D

I'm in! :punk:

View attachment 948008

I've just loaded up the Dovo shavette with a fresh Derby Premium saloon blade, and this will be a more significant challenge for me than usual this year. :blink: I've never tried sticking with straight format shaves for an extended duration, and it will be interested to see how I get on with trying to just* use the shavette for a month.

*Disclaimers:
A) I might not shave every day. I might need to give myself some recovery days between shaves.
B) I will (evoking Rule #4) be taking one day off and using the Jagger. :ciappa: I have a reunion to go to later in February, and will be wanting to be certain of a fully clean and irritation free shave, which I'm not certain of with the Dovo at my current level of experience.

Going to be following this one with much interest.

I sense a new primarily-shaves-with-straight guy (like me :) ) in the making. That is, if the Derby blade can go the distance, and I'm kinda wringing my hands over that part. Should be ok since you won't be shaving every day, but if you have a coarse beard, it'll still be tight.

I'm in with a P4 (4th quarter 1970) Gillette Super Stainless. Precursor to the Spoiler.

I only shave Monday / Wednesday / Friday - 12 shaves in all. Should be no problem for this blade.

I'm in. Let's see if one Polsilver SI can get me through the whole month. I'll be using R41 (2013) and Rockwell 6S on plate 6 as usual.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Going to be following this one with much interest.

I sense a new primarily-shaves-with-straight guy (like me :) ) in the making. That is, if the Derby blade can go the distance, and I'm kinda wringing my hands over that part. Should be ok since you won't be shaving every day, but if you have a coarse beard, it'll still be tight.

Yeah, a Derby Premium in my Edwin Jagger DE3D14 gave me 15 shaves, so in theory, I should comfortably get 7 or 8 shaves with a saloon blade in the Dovo. A full month is a big ask, even not shaving saily, but we'll see what it can do :)

I am going to be making a game-time decision tomorrow. Currently am debating between a Polsilver, Dorco prime, Nacet, or Bolzano blade. I am thinking of using either my Gillette Black Beauty Adjustable (or whichever has the plastic base) or a Schick Krono. Good luck to everyone and enjoy.

I'm in with a Dorco Premium Platinum STP301 blade. I'll be using it with a Yaqi Mellon DOC cap and Pearl OC baseplate. It should be an interesting month.

Top Bottom