What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

Astra Superior Stainless (27)
Merkur Futur, set to 1
TOBS Badger brush
Gillette Pure shave cream, face lathered
Barbasol Pacific Rush After Shave + Institut Karité Paris Shea After Shave Balm

The challenge may be over, but the blade isn't. I'd like to make up for the two shaves I skipped in February, perhaps even take it to 30+. No reason to doubt this considering today's shave with the Futur was phenomenal. No other way to describe getting such a smooth, comfortable shave with a blade that's provided 26 of them already.

I believe this year's challenge was my fourth. I, too, had takeaways...

• Lather counts. The slicker the better as the blade degrades.
  • You can't skimp on prep
  • The razor makes a difference.
I used nine different razors this challenge. My worst shave, at #15, was with my new Velvet open comb. Years ago, I would have blamed the blade and changed it out. But as moving the Astra to a different razor proved, there was still life in the blade. Technique has to adapt to the razor, and that's an ongoing lesson, for me.

#27 with Gillette Silver Blue using a Merkur Slant razor. I learned about some of the nuances of technique during this challenge, but essentially changed nothing from my usual routine.

Astra Superior Stainless (28)
Merkur Futur, set to 1
Proraso boar brush
Proaso Crema Pre Barba
Gillette Pure shave cream, bowl lathered

A February's worth of shaves. Number twenty eight. Excellent too.

Did it with no blade gymnastics...No stropping, no flipping. No wiping the blade, no soaking in alcohol, no drying it after a shave. Also no irritation, no razor burn, no nicks, no discomfort. Then only noticeable dullness being that it just takes longer to shave. Too long in the time I have to get ready for work, so when I hit thirty shaves, it's goodbye.

If you are looking to add a blade to your stash, I can heartily recommend Astra Superior Stainless!

The Polsilver that was in use before February began and carried me through the month did it's 81st three pass shave this morning.
dave

I finished up the last shave with my Gillette Silver Blue blade. 28 days, 28 close, comfortable shaves. This is my first year of participation in One Blade February, and I'm already looking forward to next year with another one-blade challenge. I did learn to fine-tune my technique during February and also paid attention to prep, as others have mentioned. I did a full-shave face each time, usually two passes and a clean-up. Thanks to everyone who participated. I learned some things from your comments.

I made it to 40 shaves today with a made in China Schick blade in a Schick J1 razor. I could push it on but the efficiency of the blade has dropped off. This will be it unless I'm in a rush tomorrow. I'm really impressed with how well the injector blade held up. No flipping, no cleaning, just shaved with it.

I should make 40 shaves on the first edge of that Topaz Platinum, so expect around 80 total shaves. Probably sometime in June with the current rotation.

Not all that much of a challenge, next year I will try something more off the beaten path that isn't platinum coated, although those are my favorite blades.

Quick update even though I didn't formally participate in the challenge.

I decided this morning to change my blade. I had used the same Parker Platinum Premium since February 1st. I shaved with it every day except for 3 days in February. That makes for a total of 25+16=41 days of use. The blade probably still had a few shaves left but I changed it anyway because it was starting to get a bit scratchy and I didn't want to get any irritation and ruin the perfect record.
Record:
Cuts=0
Weepers=0
Irritation=0
And that is with a very basic razor (Wilkinson Classic)
These blades are my new favorite. The new blade this morning, like the first one, gave me an effortless 1-pass BBS even though I was not trying for that.
Sharp, durable, cheap. What's not to like? :)

Switched to the second edge today on that Topaz. Probably good for 90 shaves. Much better blade than I had anticipated.

That Topaz finally ran out on Monday at 83 shaves. Started pulling badly and leaving a ton of stubble no matter how many passes I did.

That makes in an average blade for me -- very nice shaves, just doesn't have the life of a Polsilver or 7 O'Clock black.

107 on a Polsilver SI. Will probably rack up more than that on the 7 O'Clock Black I revived when the Topaz went bad.

Top Bottom