What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

----------------------------------
Time is running out, February is knocking on the door. Since @goby is not here for some unknown reason, I'll start the thread in his name. I'll copy/paste his text from the previous year.
May the blade be with you, and I hope @goby is ok.
-----------------------------------

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Hope everyone is ok with that I started this thread instead of @goby but it's soon to late.

I'll be using my Merkur 34c paired with a German Wilkinson sword.

I'm in. I'll be using my Merkur 34c paired with a Rapira Platinum Lux. Wish me luck. I've got very good medical insurance.

Remember you can use any razor you like. It's only the blade which needs to remain the same throughout February. :wink2:

Remember you can use any razor you like. It's only the blade which needs to remain the same throughout February. :wink2:
Thats true, but I will try to keep the same razor throughout February. It's a great opportunity to learn the razor, as well as the limits of the blade :)

That's true, but I will try to keep the same razor throughout February. It's a great opportunity to learn the razor, as well as the limits of the blade :)
It sounds like you need to join us in the FFFMM when it comes up this year, Pippirull. :wink2:
upload_2019-1-25_20-13-34.png

This is definitely going to be an interesting month.
I've not decided on AC, injector or DE. I have blades that I've already tried to make last a month and have given up halfway thru due to an insatiable thirst to try something else.

Needless to say my razors (and blades) have been picked depending on my final decision will most likely be Mongoose SE AC with Feather Pro, or Karve (D plate) with a GSB, or Schick I1 with a Chick. FYI I am a daily shaver so it makes it all that much more fun.

Ya beat me to it, I was going to start the thread tonight when I got home from work.

Anyway, time to start the official participant's list:

1. psfred Topaz Platinum.

Copy and past the list then add your handle and which blade you are using so we have an "official" list of particpants.

Ya beat me to it, I was going to start the thread tonight when I got home from work.

2. MM879 Rapira Platinum Lux

Copy and past the list then add your handle and which blade you are using so we have an "official" list of particpants.

This is definitely going to be an interesting month.
I've not decided on AC, injector or DE. I have blades that I've already tried to make last a month and have given up halfway thru due to an insatiable thirst to try something else.

Needless to say my razors (and blades) have been picked depending on my final decision will most likely be Mongoose SE AC with Feather Pro, or Karve (D plate) with a GSB, or Schick I1 with a Chick. FYI I am a daily shaver so it makes it all that much more fun.

Yup, count me out.

I was going to give this a try, but I just have way too many blades (both already here and en route) to do this.

After finally getting an acceptable DE shave, my OCD just won't allow me to use one blade for an entire month, unless it was my Hess stainless straight.

I've truly enjoyed my straight razor passion for the last 11 years, and am now just as excited about DE's. I find myself wishing I could shave more than once per day.

But I will be following the thread with great interest, and wish you all a very enjoyable February. Just don't remind me that I'll be turning 52 during the month, OK?

Let's see, my current blade has 55 shaves on it.
By Feb 1 it will have 62 shaves.
Then by the end of February (the shortest month of the year, I noticed) it will only have 90.
Piece of cake.
I'm in.

I'm using one of these vaguely-named Personnas DE SS blades ("barber blades"?), from Sally Beauty Supply.
proxy.php

2. John Rose - Personna barber blade (the incumbent)

Updated list, since MM879's didn't take

1. psfred - Topaz Platinum.
3. MM879 - Rapira Platinum Lux

To add your name, copy and paste the list into a new reply, then add yourself to the bottom -- the "quote" tag pops up when you copy. You don't want that, it just quotes the content when you want to expand the list for someone else to copy.

Hey guys! OBIF has always been an "I'm in" thread. No official participants list.

I know @goby hasn't been spotted yet, but I think he should be consulted if you want to change the rules.

I've made my decision. I hope it works out well.

Far be it beyond me to change the rules. (I am in).

I'm in with a Mongoose SE and Feather Professional

Not much into rules so I"M IN too
Will be using my faithful Gillette Old Type and Gillette Green blade, as I don't have to shave every day there is a good chance it will last a month :)

Top Bottom