What's new

Tell us about Canadian whisky

Great article, thanks! The thing that has always made me a bit hesitant with Canadian whiskey is #2 (and 10, kinda related?) and the whole GNS scenario. I suppose that someone MAY define some of the grains used as a GNS, but sounds like it is NOT in the scenario that it is typically presented. Perhaps it is time to consider giving my northern neighbors some love in sampling of their whisky.

No, as the article makes clear . . . NO grain neutral spirits are allowed, even under the 9.09% rule. If you are anywhere close to the Canadian border, you should slip across when it reopens. Usually a wider selection.

But if you have some at your local, I'd be happy to recommend something.

Most of the things I would say about Canadian whisky wouldn't be helpful to anyone living outside of Canada, unless you're willing to come and get them, heh.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest, Alberta Premium, and Forty Creek, as already mentioned, would be the ones most likely to find outside Canada that are any good at all, imho.
White Owl is an interesting one to experience too, though it is by design intended for mixing, not sipping. It's a barrel aged whisky that is then filtered back to completely clear. Arguably so much is lost along the way, but it still retains some of the rye it started with.

Glen Breton is a great single malt produced in Nova Scotia that I would HIGHLY recommend if you can find it. There's also a kinda humorous debacle where the Scottish Whisky Association tried to stop them from using "Glen" and "Single Malt Whisky" on their labels cause apparently it was too similar to scotch. You might be able to order it direct from the distiller for shipping, but I'm not sure about their international shipping abilities.

Then there's my favorite, The Laird of Fintry single malt from Okanagan Spirits. You will not find that outside of Canada, and in all probability not even outside BC. They only make so many bottles a year, and there's enough demand that they do a lottery for the chance to buy it. The cask strength offering is particularly awesome. The same distiller makes a bourbon style whisky too, which they simply call BRBN, and is also excellent.

And the last one I want to mention is the provincial government liquor store in BC sometimes does their own private bottlings, and they've been excellent every time I've tried em. Again, won't find em outside BC.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Then there's my favorite, The Laird of Fintry single malt from Okanagan Spirits. You will not find that outside of Canada, and in all probability not even outside BC. They only make so many bottles a year, and there's enough demand that they do a lottery for the chance to buy it.

You had me right up to "lottery".

I'd love to know your thoughts on Macaloney's Caledonian Distillery ... a recent Ralfy video about the Scotch Whisky Mafia trying to shut them down prompted me to order a few bottles.

You had me right up to "lottery".

It's a bit nuts, but you don't have to pay to enter, just submit your email and if you get drawn, you can buy a bottle. I wouldn't bother if it wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted that was made in Canada, lol.

I'd love to know your thoughts on Macaloney's Caledonian Distillery ... a recent Ralfy video about the Scotch Whisky Mafia trying to shut them down prompted me to order a few bottles.

I'll have to check out Ralfy's video after work, first I've heard of this specific issue. Though between "The battle of the Glen" with Glen Breton and (I think) Compass Box getting slapped for trying to list ALL the component whiskies in their bottle, I generally think the Scottish Whisky Association needs to have all the sticks up their asses removed.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'll have to check out Ralfy's video after work, first I've heard of this specific issue.

I generally think the Scottish Whisky Association needs to have all the sticks up their asses removed.

1628543203948.png

Ralfy agrees.

Ralfy agrees.

Haven't been watching his videos lately, but he's definitely the only serious (mostly) whisky channel I ever look at*. He's good people.

*The only other whisky channel I ever look at is the Whisky Tribe, largely because they are rarely serious, lol.

Top Bottom