What's new

Tell us about Canadian whisky

I have certainly sampled a few bottles of "local" whiskey in the US that, upon further inspection, were actually labelled as Canadian whiskey. One was "from" Oregon, the other "from" Indiana. Both were of the "nothing special" variety. I wish I could recall the brand a former co-worker enjoyed. It was not available south of the border, but he had a customer bring a bottle down. All I recall is that it was 12 years old.

Could this be LOT 40 12 YO cask strength?

Alberta Premium (mentioned previously) recently released two special bottlings . . . a cask strength offering, as well as a 20 YO offering. The 20 YO is one of the smoothest, almost butter-cream-like whiskies I have ever tried. Wish I had purchased more.

The basics have already been covered in terms of what is required of a manufacturer to legally call their spirit "Whisky" but, if you've got questions, fire away and I will try and answer as best I can. Used to write reviews on spirits, but kept a focus on Canadian products because . . . nationalism.

From my reviews page, elsewhere.

Tonight's review is Lot 40 100% Rye Whisky, Cask Strength, from the 2018 Northern Border Collection. This year's version is only 11 years old, as they did not have sufficient quantities of the 12 YO to make enough to satisfy demand. Next year will be back to a 12 year age statement, so this year's bottling is somewhat unique. It is also bottled at 58% abv, and leaves incredibly thin tears within my glencairn.
There is cinnamon on the nose, but hints of caramel and mint (?), as well. Rye bread bitterness underpins those aromas, along with black pepper and cloves. Everything seems a little crisper on the nose . . . more defined almost. There is an oaky quality, as well, that is subtle. It's as if these aromas are all waiting their turn for the taster to find them.
The first sip is a blast of sweet caramel and spicy pepper notes, that set the tone immediately. This is not last year's Lot 40 CS. This one wants you to know it is a high test whisky from the outset. After the initial wave subsides, your palate is met by a warming cinnamon tide that brings cloves and dill to the back of the tongue. A taste of vanilla washes back, and the next wave brings some oak char, a touch of dark fruit and a warm glow in the chest. The finish is of medium length and dry, a perfect table-setter for your next sip.
Water turns the caramel notes into a smooth butterscotch. Rye's bitter airs disappear, leaving the pepper scent a tannic leathery aroma. On the palate, water brings the cinnamon to the forefront, quickly supplanting the butterscotch's buttery smoothness with a tingly heat. Vanilla is a little bitter in aspect with water. A drawn breath finally reveals that touch of mint noted on the nose, presenting a cool burn on the tongue.
This year's version, also aged in Virgin Oak barrels, is another standout whisky from Dr. Don Livermore. I think this is a more lively bottling than last year's 12 YO offering, but I think it would be an enjoyable evening of sipping to try and determine which I prefer.

One more and then I will quit annoying you all . . .

November 2nd is All Souls Day, and so it is particularly appropriate that I am reviewing the another member of the 2018 Northern Border Collection, Gooderham and Worts 11 Souls. This whisky is named for the 11 children that William Gooderham adopted after their parents perished during the voyage to Canada in 1832. Within each bottle you will find a blend of 11 unique whiskies, comprised of 4 different grains (including at least 3 different types of Rye), two different methods of distillation, and multiple barrel types (new, used, ex-bourbon). In short, there is a LOT going on here. According to Master Distiller Dr. Don Livermore of J.P. Wiser's, this is the most complex whisky he has created to date. The whisky is bottled at 49%abv, and is oily in the glass, with streaky tears.
Orchard fruits on the nose first, roasted almonds and honey follow. Some floral notes, as well as vanilla fudge and toffee drift by, and there is cereal and brown sugar, too. The longer it sits, the more there is to find. The last thing I note is some citrus peel.
Creamy toffee coats the palate, and a perfumy air inhabits the mouth. There is dried fruit that is supplanted by a warming glow of spices and vanilla. Nutmeg and cloves come next, with a slight bitterness. Not enough to be unpleasant, but it leads one towards a nice firm oak-laden finish that dries the palate in preparation for more.
Usually, I make a point to add water to the whiskies I review, but I am not going to do so now. In my eyes, there is nothing to be gained from diluting this spirit, and everything to lose by muddying it's flavours. As I said at the beginning, there is a lot going on in this glass, and I am going to sign off now and enjoy the rest of the evening in sorting it all out. Dr. Livermore likes to say that Canadian Whisky does not have to take a backseat to any other type and, with this bottling, he backs up that statement in full measure.

Hmm . . . Only 12 YO Canadian Whisky that comes in a round bottle, off the top of my head would be Gibson's Finest.

Glenrothes has a bottle similar to Blanton's but that's a Scotch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Alberta Premium (mentioned previously) recently released two special bottlings . . . a cask strength offering, as well as a 20 YO offering. The 20 YO is one of the smoothest, almost butter-cream-like whiskies I have ever tried. Wish I had purchased more.

IIRC the cask strength was selected as "Whisky of the Year" ... I think by the same guy who picked Northern Harvest a few years prior. Both bottlings of Alberta Premium have now become Alberta Unobtanium ...

Hmm . . . Only 12 YO Canadian Whisky that comes in a round bottle, off the top of my head would be Gibson's Finest.
Recalling that this conversation was over 6 years ago, but Gibson sounds right. Obviously I may have mis-recalled the shape of the bottle. I'm told that on this particular business trip, I MAY have consumed a larger than typical amount of bourbon, so some memories may be a bit fuzzy. It also occurred in a location that claims certain things remain in the location, so there's that to consider as well. ;)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
These aren't annoying at all. @Bakker1964 . They're exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread. Keep the info flowing!

Not much more I can give you absent specific questions, except to say that you guys down south often have greater access (State dependent) to stuff we cannot get. Example . . . Wiser's makes limited edition bottlings for sale in specific Provinces. The most recent was to celebrate Manitoba's 150th year as a Province. It was a wheat forward whisky, but not for sale in Ontario, so I have no idea on how it tastes. Same for certain bottlings only available in B.C.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Do you mean that many producers are buying juice from larger houses (much like many USA producers do)?

Someone has to be doing a mash.
I think he means that each different grain is distilled seperatly and then blended at the end as opposed to having a mash “bill” like US producers do of a certain percent Corn/Rye/wheat/whatever that are distilled together.

My best friend is a Crown Royal loyalist. He likes it with one ice cube. His son-in-law likes to add ginger ale or Coke to it - but my friend thinks that is a sacrilege.

A few weeks ago at a bartender's suggestion, I tried Pendelton Midnight. It had a spicy taste to it - far more flavorful than Crown Royal or Canadian Club.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Crown Royal XR is the nicest whiskey I've ever tasted. Its the last batch from the original barrels that were lost in the fire at the distillery.

Do you mean that many producers are buying juice from larger houses (much like many USA producers do)?

Someone has to be doing a mash.

There are some distillers who will use a "mashbill" a la US bourbon makers. But it is not common practice.

I think he means that each different grain is distilled seperatly and then blended at the end as opposed to having a mash “bill” like US producers do of a certain percent Corn/Rye/wheat/whatever that are distilled together.

Exactly, the various grains will be distilled and aged individually, and only be brought together just prior to bottling. It is what allows a more consistent flavour profile in Canadian whisky. It is also why the most important person in a Canadian Distillery is the Master BLENDER, not DISTILLER.

Great article, thanks! The thing that has always made me a bit hesitant with Canadian whiskey is #2 (and 10, kinda related?) and the whole GNS scenario. I suppose that someone MAY define some of the grains used as a GNS, but sounds like it is NOT in the scenario that it is typically presented. Perhaps it is time to consider giving my northern neighbors some love in sampling of their whisky.

Top Bottom