What's new

Tech Inquiry

I stumbled into a picture of a Gillette (Ranger?) Tech. It looks like one of my Dad’s razors. He also had a Super Speed later in his life.
It has me curious about them.
Can you tell me about them?
Are they available?
Are there current models (clones) like them?
I had an attack of sentimentality followed by curiosity.
Thanks!

The ranger tech is more rare and it can be differentiated between the 40s style superspeed by a shiny band near the turning knob at the bottom of the handle.

many of the 40s style superspeed's were made and so they are easily available . Mine shaves really well and I would not have a problem if some catastrophe hit my razor collection and that was the only one I had left.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I think the shave is very similar between the two.

My guess is that it is because the grip of the shaving head is very close to the shaving edge and so there's not as much flexibility , which results in a controlled smooth shave. And I guess the geometry is just set just right, for me at least , with the amount of blade exposure compared to the top cap and safety bar.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I stumbled into a picture of a Gillette (Ranger?) Tech. It looks like one of my Dad’s razors. He also had a Super Speed later in his life.
It has me curious about them.
Can you tell me about them?
Are they available?
Are there current models (clones) like them?
I had an attack of sentimentality followed by curiosity.
Thanks!
Good info from @sugardaddy . I'll add this: As noted, the Ranger Tech is at least somewhat rare. It is available but may come fairly dear on the big auction site. Super Speeds on the other hand are quite common and can be found pretty inexpensively. You might find a SS at your local antique/flea market/junk store venues, if you are so inclined. Otherwise, the big auction site is a good bet.

There are several incarnations of the SS, ranging from the 1940s version (the successor to the Ranger Tech, and very similar in appearance) to the Flare Tip, made from approximately 1954 through about 1967, and then the Black Handle, that was made up until about 1987. There are minor variations among each of these versions but they aren't significant unless you are a collector. All, IMHO, are great shavers and well worth seeking out.

There are some cheap current production clones (like the Baili and the Weishi) but none that equal the shave and (especially) the build quality of the original SS. You should definitely get a couple of originals.

Techs are the best value in simplicity and quality. They’ve stood up to the test of time.... my favorite de razor.
Especially the post war Ball End models.

There are also the British Rocket and the Aristocrat Junior, with somewhat similar appearances (to the Ranger Tech), until you compare them side-by-side.
Both are great shavers.

Thanks guys!
It has me curious.
I might pick up one for a June trip to North Carolina. I use the 34HD.
I expect comparable shave.
It might not help but it couldn’t hurt.

Thanks guys!
It has me curious.
I might pick up one for a June trip to North Carolina. I use the 34HD.
I expect comparable shave.
It might not help but it couldn’t hurt.

For my face, the Ranger Tech is a better shave with the same blade vs. the 34. Both are really good. The Ranger was just more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nice razor that was only produced in 1941 and a short stint in 1946. The 41 seems easier to find than the 46. I like the 41 since it doesn't have end caps and has etching on the lower band. Of course you can't go wrong with anything named "Ranger".
tech2.jpg
IMG_4454.JPG

Last edited:
I nice razor that was only produced in 1941 and a short stint in 1946. The 41 seems easier to find than the 46. I like the 41 since it doesn't have end caps and has etching on the lower band. Of course you can't go wrong with anything named "Ranger".
View attachment 978109 View attachment 978110

Thanks for the pictures!
That’s the razor I watched my dad shave with growing up.
The band above the knob is distinctive.
That’s it!
He got a Superspeed when we moved to Denver.

Top Bottom