What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

Tatara is able to sell you different parts together? Or you did buy the separately?
You can combine any parts and "build your own" under the shop now option on their website.

At the very bottom of the home page there is a link (Nodache vs Masamune) to information on blade gaps/exposure for each combination.

You can combine any parts and "build your own" under the shop now option on their website.

At the very bottom of the home page there is a link (Nodache vs Masamune) to information on blade gaps/exposure for each combination.
Ok, I bought Tatara Nodachi in small specialized shaving shop already packed so I had no idea. Thanks 👍🏼

Two shaves with the Masamune Open comb - and this is the first open comb i've used, so it's an interesting change.

From the Tatara specs the difference is very small & still negative blade exposure, and so it proves. Still comfortable and safe shave, a touch more aggressive and I did get a couple of weepers today with a new Feather blade... but then it's a new Feather blade (!), and one of those nicks I was definitely to blame due to feeling over confident and sloppy due to it having performed so nicely.
Not totally sure which way I might go for daily use - maybe back to the closed comb... but one benefit of the open is the ease of rinsing (especially with the Cella/WWF stick which tends to give a thicker lather than the Arko/MWF I alternate with). I'll give the OC more time - off down south of Thailand soon to go offshore on Wednesday, so will see if I take the open or closed with me.

Very pleased with the Tatara/Semogue Badger brush - only 2nd shave with it and it feels & lathers great already. the 24mm vs 21mm of the Muhle Rocca feels good for my shave stick/face lather usage and the smaller diameter handle and the lip of the Tatara feels very comfortable - it's also slightly lighter than the Muhle, a nice balance of heft yet still easy to lather.

Two shaves with the Masamune Open comb - and this is the first open comb i've used, so it's an interesting change.

From the Tatara specs the difference is very small & still negative blade exposure, and so it proves. Still comfortable and safe shave, a touch more aggressive and I did get a couple of weepers today with a new Feather blade... but then it's a new Feather blade (!), and one of those nicks I was definitely to blame due to feeling over confident and sloppy due to it having performed so nicely.
Not totally sure which way I might go for daily use - maybe back to the closed comb... but one benefit of the open is the ease of rinsing (especially with the Cella/WWF stick which tends to give a thicker lather than the Arko/MWF I alternate with). I'll give the OC more time - off down south of Thailand soon to go offshore on Wednesday, so will see if I take the open or closed with me.

Very pleased with the Tatara/Semogue Badger brush - only 2nd shave with it and it feels & lathers great already. the 24mm vs 21mm of the Muhle Rocca feels good for my shave stick/face lather usage and the smaller diameter handle and the lip of the Tatara feels very comfortable - it's also slightly lighter than the Muhle, a nice balance of heft yet still easy to lather.
I have been reading along, if you didn't notice, and am really happy to hear how this is all going for you. I use the Nodachi cap exclusively, but have both SB and OC plates and am glad I do. The SB plate cost me as much as a Winning Razor that many people have been buying, but made more sense to me since I already have Tatara parts.

The brush is actually even more interesting to me and I was almost cheering for you to buy it and try it. I have 1 Semogue brush and this one was on my buy list when I ordered the SB plate, but budgeting changed. Your review isn't helping my desire subside. I WILL HAVE IT one day, probably sooner than I should.

Thanks for continuing to post your experiences.

The brush is actually even more interesting to me and I was almost cheering for you to buy it and try it. I have 1 Semogue brush and this one was on my buy list when I ordered the SB plate, but budgeting changed. Your review isn't helping my desire subside. I WILL HAVE IT one day, probably sooner than I should.

Not to enable you... but, yes, sorry, the Semogue/Tatara badger seems wonderful for feel and lathering and of course looks fabulous and a perfect match to the Masamune. While you're gazing at it on the Tatara website... i do recommend the cork stand too. I mean, may as well while you're there paying the postage just for a brush, LOL.

Apart from how good the lipped & dimpled handle feels for heft and grip... I barely noticed too much difference from my usual Muhle silvertip badger - so that's a compliment. I didn't really scrub or push/splay too hard at all as Arko/MWF stick lathers so easily, but it does seem to have more backbone which suits me.

After the OC or Closed decision... it'll really be down to what aftershave to settle on - finding Witchhazel (Thayer's) to be great, but just added some Tea Tree oil to it as I've used Tea Tree before with good results for my skin (and am used to the distinctive smell... but there again I kind of enjoyed the scent of Arko this morning :eek2: as i'd been using the Cella/MWF stick for a while). Found out Stirling sell some Witchhazel toners, and one has tea tree oil added already... and there's a stockist in nearbyish Malaysia who stocks it... along with the 1Kg Cella brick and MWF refills, so next time back home that's cued up for possible order.

I'd definitely recommend anyone who prefers a so called mild razor like Henson will love the Masamune - and should just get the open and closed comb Masamune plates (rather than the Nodachi, unless you know you get on with more aggressive)

On the way to work... the Masamune fits nicely in the Fine travel case.

Got a tube of Proraso cream to use up, then it'll be shave sticks all the way for me - took a Cella/MWF stick also

travelTatara.JPG

Well, it’s official! I have a titanium Muramasa on the way. Really.looking forward to getting it and using it. Tatara says they have nitrided some parts, not sure which ones or in what color.
If this razor works out as well as I hope, you may see my ti Henson and ti Taiga on the BST thread in the near future.
Jack

Well, it’s official! I have a titanium Muramasa on the way. Really.looking forward to getting it and using it. Tatara says they have nitrided some parts, not sure which ones or in what color.
If this razor works out as well as I hope, you may see my ti Henson and ti Taiga on the BST thread in the near future.
Jack
WTH! I am on the email list and have been checking the website twice a week to see if they are coming back in stock. I would email them, but I want to know the price before I commit. Is it by chance the same or less than a Sailor?

Jack
I’m interested in your Ti Henson (++?) if you ever decide to part with it.

WTH! I am on the email list and have been checking the website twice a week to see if they are coming back in stock. I would email them, but I want to know the price before I commit. Is it by chance the same or less than a Sailor?
As I understand it, the first 25 (?) people who signed up for the titanium Muramasa should be receiving an invoice for these razors. I don’t know if more than that initial number have been made, nor am I sure if the titanium models will be a regular thing or made in occasional batches. The ti Muramasa is 699 euros, not cheap and quite a bit more than the ti Taiga which I got shortly before the poop hit the fan with Russia. Offhand Idon’t know the price of the Sailor, but will look it up shortly.
I will post my impressions of the new razor after a few shaves. If it checks off all the boxes, I’ll be moving a few of my other razors on the BST.
Jack

What are the benefits of this nitride treatment? And is it just for the adjustable?

Titanium is not especially hard (although high strength to weight ratio)... which means it scratches quite easily - see Titanium golf drivers or most Titanium watches. Titanium bikes are often made in a brushed finish - so any minor scratches (which do and will appear) can be easily covered up by rubbing with a green Scothbrite pad for a perfect new brushed finish.

Nitriding it (not a coating, but a heat treatment in nitrogen atmosphere) produces a very hard outer (thin, surface) layer which is also even more corrosion resistant. It also will help prevent titanium galling.
It can also look lovely - here's a pic of a Ventura V-matic which is nitrided Titanium... very nice matte metalllic gray

v_matic_face.jpg

The Muramasa came in early enough that I was able to shave with it today. My normal schedule has me showering and shaving close to noon.
Loaded a fresh Wizamet in the razor, did customary shave routine, and shaved with it on setting 2. I‘d say the shave was identical to a Feather asd2 with the same blade. That is my standard for a really good shave. Tomorrow I’ll turn the dial up to 3 and see how that goes. If the shave is better, I’ll be delighted, but I’m pretty well pleased already.
Looks like some of my other razors will be going on the BST. I just want to have about three which give me consistently good shaves. Also I have a very limited amount if counter space.😁
Jack

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance
20220803_104450~2.jpg

Razor: Tatara Masamune Plate + Nodachi Cap (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

Thought this was going to be a High Efficiency razor, but fits better in the Mild/Medium category.
20220803_104612~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11872161

Respected Shoguns,

I'm eyeing a Tatara for my first "premium" razor. I was hoping you could share with me your experiences with the following combos to help me vet my decision:

• Masamune top cap with a Nodachi (closed) base plate
  • Nodachi top cap with a Masamune (closed) base plate

I've seen the chart that Tatara put out explaining the technical aspects of the various combos and understand that the former has a slight negative exposure with a larger gap, versus the later having a neutral exposure with a smaller gap, but I wanted to hear how that translates to real world use. As always I know YMMV, but I'd appreciate the feedback from those of you who have tried either one or both options!

Top Bottom