What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

Just aquired both the Masamune and the Nodachi. Have used both since. The Masamune first shave was with a Rapira Swedish. One of my favorites. First shave had a little tugging on two days growth. Left me with some irritation and did not feel very smooth. Shaved the second day with the Nodachi and a Perma Sharp. It felt more smooth and left a comfortable shave with two weepers. I’m wondering if the Rapira was a dud. Will use the Masamune again tonight.

Have wanted these razors for some time now and scored both with an extra OC Masamune plate for $200. I was prepared to buy the Masamune that same day and was offered the used trade ins and could not pass up the deal. Glad to be part f the club

Just aquired both the Masamune and the Nodachi. Have used both since. The Masamune first shave was with a Rapira Swedish. One of my favorites. First shave had a little tugging on two days growth. Left me with some irritation and did not feel very smooth. Shaved the second day with the Nodachi and a Perma Sharp. It felt more smooth and left a comfortable shave with two weepers. I’m wondering if the Rapira was a dud. Will use the Masamune again tonight.

Have wanted these razors for some time now and scored both with an extra OC Masamune plate for $200. I was prepared to buy the Masamune that same day and was offered the used trade ins and could not pass up the deal. Glad to be part f the club
I am sure that Rapira was a dud, but I would have switched the razor/blade pairing around. I have found a similar blade to the Rapiras, nothing wrong with them or anything, and I find them perfect in more efficient razors(Nodachi). The blade clamping on the Tataras really makes a difference as they can tug a little bit which would create irritation. On the flip side, I have read some people find the rigid clamping makes the shave harsh initially. You can definitely feel it switching between razors!

Nacet, Bolzano and Wizamet SI are my top blades for Masamune and combinations. For Nodachi, Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack (very forgiving blade).

Masadachi is my favorite combo. (Masamune cap, nodachi base)

But it's nice to have all combos anyway. If in the mood for a different shave you have it.

BTW I find Masadachi more effective than the other combo.

I finally bought myself a Muramasa and it arrived today. Had been vacillating over it for a long time - partly because I never really got along with my Nodachi, and partly because of so many reviews saying that the Muramasa is just too mild. In the end I felt it would be nice to have such a competent and well-made adjustable, and to have a gentler razor in the armoury.

First shave today and I learned a useful lesson with the first pass - the Muramasa felt extremely bladey and had massive blade chatter, to the extent that it felt extremely rough. I inspected the razor and figured out that I hadn’t tightened the handle properly. I guess with this design it isn’t obvious when the handle isn’t tight unless you look closely at the head. Still, it’s the kind of thing you only need to learn once.

Back to the shave, with the handle screwed in properly, it was just a lovely experience. I ended up with a superb shave, very gentle feeling but perfectly efficient, with no need for excessive buffing. My face is completely smooth with no irritation (but, reasonably enough, a couple of small weepers under my chin from the first pass when the handle wasn’t on and the blade wasn’t clamped). Maybe that first pass mistake made the shave closer, but I don’t think so and in any case I bought the razor for a gentle feeling, which I definitely got. I just like the way the razor handles and feels on my skin. The safety bar feels nice and using the razor was a calming experience - just what I had hoped for.

All those comments I read about the Muramasa not being efficient enough were nonsense. I mostly use high-efficiency razors and I know when I’ve had a satisfyingly close shave, and I got one from the Muramasa first time. I used setting 99 for the first pass (untightened handle), then 3.5 for the second pass and 2.5 for the third. It works really nicely on all settings and I’m going to like this razor a lot.

By the way, I had no problems with the small setting window. I don’t have the best eyesight these days but I could still read the numbers without straining or wearing my glasses. Anyway, when the window is in the middle it is on setting 3; 4 and 5 move the window to the right; 1 and 2 are on the left. Even if you can’t read the numbers you can certainly see where the window is and you can tell if it is on a number or between numbers. It’s not a problem at all.

BF9C4462-428D-400B-8E7E-9945C4EC011B.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a lovely shave this morning with the Masamune closed comb - the couple days of growth was no problem, my usual two pass was all that was needed for me.
Had skipped a day of shaving due to nicking a 'beauty spot' i have on my upper lip with the Masamune Cap & Nodachi base plate, and the previous use of the open comb Masamune was also an issue in that area (along with the usual areas of my bony/prominent adam's apple and scar on my chin).
Post shave alum block also much calmer with the 'full' Masamune, so it's looking more and more like this my usual regular razor setup for daily shaves.

All were with the Gillette London Bridge Blade, and Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe shave cream. Tried out this cream on a whim as it's available online here in Thailand (and made in Thailand) - very nice somewhat medicinal scent like Noxcema and worth a try if you like creams - seems to be around £10 if you're in the UK.

All those comments I read about the Muramasa not being efficient enough were nonsense. I mostly use high-efficiency razors and I know when I’ve had a satisfyingly close shave, and I got one from the Muramasa first time. I used setting 99 for the first pass (untightened handle), then 3.5 for the second pass and 2.5 for the third. It works really nicely on all settings and I’m going to like this razor a lot.
That's great! I love the Muramasa for the same reasons: great, efficient 2-pass razor with comfortable feel.

I finally bought myself a Muramasa and it arrived today. Had been vacillating over it for a long time - partly because I never really got along with my Nodachi, and partly because of so many reviews saying that the Muramasa is just too mild. In the end I felt it would be nice to have such a competent and well-made adjustable, and to have a gentler razor in the armoury.

First shave today and I learned a useful lesson with the first pass - the Muramasa felt extremely bladey and had massive blade chatter, to the extent that it felt extremely rough. I inspected the razor and figured out that I hadn’t tightened the handle properly. I guess with this design it isn’t obvious when the handle isn’t tight unless you look closely at the head. Still, it’s the kind of thing you only need to learn once.

Back to the shave, with the handle screwed in properly, it was just a lovely experience. I ended up with a superb shave, very gentle feeling but perfectly efficient, with no need for excessive buffing. My face is completely smooth with no irritation (but, reasonably enough, a couple of small weepers under my chin from the first pass when the handle wasn’t on and the blade wasn’t clamped). Maybe that first pass mistake made the shave closer, but I don’t think so and in any case I bought the razor for a gentle feeling, which I definitely got. I just like the way the razor handles and feels on my skin. The safety bar feels nice and using the razor was a calming experience - just what I had hoped for.

By the way, I had no problems with the small setting window. I don’t have the best eyesight these days but I could still read the numbers without straining or wearing my glasses. Anyway, when the window is in the middle it is on setting 3; 4 and 5 move the window to the right; 1 and 2 are on the left. Even if you can’t read the numbers you can certainly see where the window is and you can tell if it is on a number or between numbers. It’s not a problem at all.

View attachment 1506227
Great review (the last part lol)! What blade/s do you like so far with your Muramasa?

I have been extremely pleased with my Titanium Masamune Nodachi razor since it arrived, so pleased in fact that I have hardly used my steel Masamune Nodachi and Muramasa.

I became even interested in the priciest of the Tatararazors, the Ti Muramasa Adjustable, but providence saved me…

All Ti Muramasa razors are now sold and shipped and their won’t be any new TI Muramasas this year…
Phew, that was a close call and saved me a lot of money… :cool:

B.

My first post and more to come lol. Always scanning B&B for good advice though!

Is there anyone with the Nodashi plate and Masamune cap combo that also recommend the Muramasa? I’m wanting to take the plunge but will it be same efficiency and smoothness I’m getting now from Tatara. Only other adj I have is a Rex, but certainly not a daily for me

My first post and more to come lol. Always scanning B&B for good advice though!

Is there anyone with the Nodashi plate and Masamune cap combo that also recommend the Muramasa? I’m wanting to take the plunge but will it be same efficiency and smoothness I’m getting now from Tatara. Only other adj I have is a Rex, but certainly not a daily for me
In my opinion the Muramasa is both smoother and more efficient then the Nodachi/Masamune combo, even on the highest settings.

Recently acquired a Tatara Masamune with a Nodachi top-cap and both base plates (using the milder Masamune) off the BST forum. I'm still in the process of learning the in's and out's of this particular razor but I'm liking most everything about it. Would like to try the Masamune top-cap but don't want to shell out the money for one... Yet.
View attachment 1395845

View attachment 1395847
I have an extra Masamune Top cap in black.

I am just catching up. I love this razor. I have a Masamune top cap and would love to trade for a Nodachi top cap. If anyone has a baseplate I am looking.

So far I have the black OC with base.

I love how maneuverable it is.

I definitely love the Masamune OC. The more I use it the more used to the feeling of the teeth I get and the more I wonder if I wasted my money on the closed comb plate. (Gotta have the set).
Now I wonder what I like about this razor. The handle length yes. The maneuverability yes.
What makes the shave better?
The aggressiveness? The open combs? The clamping?
Idk. Can't wait to try the closed comb. However, this is super nice. It just has a more intuitive angle for me and more easily get hair in hard to reach areas.

I have been extremely pleased with my Titanium Masamune Nodachi razor since it arrived, so pleased in fact that I have hardly used my steel Masamune Nodachi and Muramasa.

I became even interested in the priciest of the Tatararazors, the Ti Muramasa Adjustable, but providence saved me…

All Ti Muramasa razors are now sold and shipped and their won’t be any new TI Muramasas this year…
Phew, that was a close call and saved me a lot of money… :cool:

B.
I didn’t have your willpower, and bought the titanium Muramasa. I am extremely happy with it. I hated spending that much money, but curiosity got the best of me. With my preferred Wizamets, I consider setting two as almost identical to a Feather AS-D2. Currently I’m doing my first pass at 3-3.5, then turn it down to 2 for second pass and touch up.
I’m pretty sure that if I had bought the stainless version when they had their sale last winter I would have been equally happy and had a larger bank balance.😁
Jack

Top Bottom