What's new

Tang - only tapers on one side. How to center in scales?

Working on some scales - almost done except I hit something odd. The tang only tapers on one side instead of evenly. So when I put it in the scales, the edge hits the scale on the side with no taper. I have it mocked up with double washers on the tapered side and that helps a bit. But is there a method you guys have used to center blade on something like this?

Attachments

• taper on one side.JPG
    taper on one side.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 32
The blade is F. Schlemper - Solinger-Merscheid. Hollowing is symmetric on both sides of the blade.

Microtomes are the blade not the shaft. They’re kinda like kami’s.
It’s not uncommon to find this. Some cases more pronounced than others. And it almost always seems the flatter side is the back which I believe is because of stamping . Possibly when the makers mark was put on.
Anyway, the easiest fix is sanding the inside of the scale to allow room for the shaft to slip in and not force the blade to go off center. The scale basically pushes the blade in one direction. So just gradually remove some of the inner scale in that area ( easy to see where it touches) and blend it out a bit and you’ll never notice it.

There are also times where the tail causes the same problem. It too can push against that small section of scale that projects beyond the hinge pin. Same cure. Sand off a bit of the inner scale where the contact is made.
With the tail , the inner lower edge is sanded and the shaft it’s the inner upper edge of the scale is sanded. Sometimes it’s a combination of both tail and shaft. sand a little here, a bit there and all falls into place easily.

Last edited:
Microtomes are the blade not the shaft. They’re kinda like kami’s.
It’s not uncommon to find this. Some cases more pronounced than others. And it almost always seems the flatter side is the back which I believe is because of stamping . Possibly when the makers mark was put on.
Anyway, the easiest fix is sanding the inside of the scale to allow room for the shaft to slip in and not force the blade to go off center. The scale basically pushes the blade in one direction. So just gradually remove some of the inner scale in that area ( easy to see where it touches) and blend it out a bit and you’ll never notice it.

There are also times where the tail causes the same problem. It too can push against that small section of scale that projects beyond the hinge pin. Same cure. Sand off a bit of the inner scale where the contact is made.
With the tail , the inner lower edge is sanded and the shaft it’s the inner upper edge of the scale is sanded. Sometimes it’s a combination of both tail and shaft. sand a little here, a bit there and all falls into place easily.

I knew the blades were ground asymmetrical, was a guess about the shank. I have never held one.

8BC9D348-1A38-47F9-891E-76B3F42AC688.jpeg
8A1412A9-AEBD-4CF7-9808-35C9080E98D2.jpeg
4FA7C6BF-70D7-488A-B2FF-1ECBA1294B3B.jpeg
Here’s mine. A York. One of my first BBS shaves off this blade.
Since it was almost kamisori ish I did a carved satinwood samurai sword type scale in respect to the shape.
Well I guess I have to hone it up and give it a go now that I drug it out!

Attachments

• F886DB51-8888-44A5-AD16-3986589FD6E9.jpeg
    F886DB51-8888-44A5-AD16-3986589FD6E9.jpeg
    681.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. It was fun and it’s different.
I need to redo the gold. Maybe paint instead of gilding will wear better.

Top Bottom