What's new

Talk to me about Vetiver Soaps

Stirling Port-au-Prince is like falling face first into a pile of mulch. I think it's currently discontinued along with most of their sheep bases. The scent lasts forever on my skin, too. Outcompetes the Veg.

I'd send you my mostly full tub but I suppose shipping would be atrocious.

Le Père Lucien Vetiver is a raw vetiver with nothing else. It is smoky greasy earthy sooty.

DR Harris Windsor is also along this line, but tempered with other things (lime, leather) to make it more palatable.

Martin de Candre Vetiver is a refined masculine fragrance. If they call it Vetiver I assume it contains vetiver, but it doesn’t smell like a chimney.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
So, I'm on a Vetiver kick, and have been using a sample of Fine's Green Vetiver which is a terrific soap. Great slickness, and I love the scent.

Of course, it is discontinued and not available anywhere.

I've got a sample of MdC Vétyver, and the performance is excellent, but the scent is a very muted peppermint. I've allowed that the soap is old, so I have another sample on the way.

I also really enjoy Proraso's Single Blade Cypress & Vetyver: again, performance is good, and the scent is lovely (and persists well after the shave).

I'm considering a blind buy of SV's Desert Vetiver, because their soaps are so good that I doubt I'll be disappointed.

So, what are my options for soaps in that Green Vetiver space? Shipping from the US is hopeless at the moment, so EU would be preferred.

Thanks!
The best Vetiver scent, hands down is Cyril R Salter French Vetiver, it's not for the faint of heart.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Stirling Port-au-Prince is like falling face first into a pile of mulch. I think it's currently discontinued along with most of their sheep bases. The scent lasts forever on my skin, too. Outcompetes the Veg.

I'd send you my mostly full tub but I suppose shipping would be atrocious.

Late to the dance, but you can flatten soaps into a thin sheet, put them in a small ziplock, and mail up to an ounce in a standard letter envelope for a stamp.

I have a bottle of Fine Green Vetiver aftershave. I only used it a few times. There is somthing in it that causes some iritation.

The zip lock holds the fragrance pretty well.
I can see it now. Me in the kitchen rolling out soap with Mrs. Scandalous's French rolling pin. Mrs. Scandalous murdering me with said rolling pin.

(actually she'd probably be all in on the project and just buy a dedicated rolling pin)
I have a bottle of Fine Green Vetiver aftershave. I only used it a few times. There is somthing in it that causes some iritation.
The Port-au-Prince soap makes my skin itch a little so I don't use it often. It's a shame because Mrs. S loves the scent of it.

I can see it now. Me in the kitchen rolling out soap with Mrs. Scandalous's French rolling pin.

For hand flattened artisinal shaving soap, I think this is what you are actually looking for, Matt... ;)

Final update.

Not a vetiver, but I threw a sample of MdC Fougère in to the cart, and it is lovely. Great scent, and the sort of performance you'd expect. Will probably pick up a tub of this down the road.
How does this compare with SV Felce Aromatica ? MdC Fougere is on the milder side but pleasant nonetheless.

How does this compare with SV Felce Aromatica ? MdC Fougere is on the milder side but pleasant nonetheless.

They are both terrific, but different enough that I will probably buy a tub of the MdC when I finish the sample. MdC is a darker, earthier, more traditional fougère; whereas Felce is brighter. If I had to choose between them, it would be the SV.

I use quite a few sandalwood and vetiver products by Scottish Fine Soaps: body soap, shampoo, aftershave balm and splash. They have all been very good and have a really nice scent (to me). There is a shaving soap too, but I have so many other soaps already that I haven't tried that yet. I certainly would though.

Top Bottom