What's new

Talk to me about Vetiver Soaps

So, I'm on a Vetiver kick, and have been using a sample of Fine's Green Vetiver which is a terrific soap. Great slickness, and I love the scent.

Of course, it is discontinued and not available anywhere.

I've got a sample of MdC Vétyver, and the performance is excellent, but the scent is a very muted peppermint. I've allowed that the soap is old, so I have another sample on the way.

I also really enjoy Proraso's Single Blade Cypress & Vetyver: again, performance is good, and the scent is lovely (and persists well after the shave).

I'm considering a blind buy of SV's Desert Vetiver, because their soaps are so good that I doubt I'll be disappointed.

So, what are my options for soaps in that Green Vetiver space? Shipping from the US is hopeless at the moment, so EU would be preferred.

Thanks!

I'm considering a blind buy of SV's Desert Vetiver, because their soaps are so good that I doubt I'll be disappointed.
SV's are good soaps but lightly scented. I prefer light scented or even unscented saops but if you are into heavy scented soaps then I am afraid you will not be satisfied with SV!

Extro and LE PÈRE LUCIEN have vetiver shaving soaps (have never tried them)

By the way, it seems one online shop has still some of fine vetiver :)

JabonMan Eufros Vetiver de Haití shaving soap is a good one. It is a straightforward vetiver scent to my nose and strong/pungent. I enjoy it very much.

If you can find one of the discontinued Fine Fresh Vetiver shaving soaps, that's a good one too.

I realize you said you are in the EU, but West Coast Shaving has a cream, Grapefroot, that is made and scented by Caties Bubbles that is excellent! It has some citrus in there, but vetiver is the star of the show.

My favorite is Mike's Natural Soaps Vetiver(sorry another US artisan.) It is also vetiver forward, but different than the others.

Good luck in your quest for vetiver!

DR Harris Windsor is a lovely Vetiver-centric scent. It’s not a straight Vetiver though and the surrounding cast of characters integrate so well with it it’s hard to set it apart. The soap and cream are very similar, and both lovey. I prefer creams and when I want that scent that’s what I’m using. Scent and Longevity are subtle but stick around all day for me.

If you really like vetiver scents, try the Cyril R Salter French Vetiver cream.
This is a very intense vetiver, but great in my opinion. Others don't like the dirt-y scent.

I also like the SV so I hope you do as well.

Others that I like and would recommend from both a scent and performance standpoint - although they may vary from the Green Vetiver scent as I don't recall that:

Eufros - Vetiver de Haiti
Five - Cedar, Vetiver and Sweetgrass
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co. - Bespoke #1
Midnight and Two - The Study
PannaCrema - Pure2O Vetiver
Wet Shaving Products - Vetiver

Eufros and PannaCrema are European soaps, so I assume that they may be easier for you to get than the others. I hope they're still in production or otherwise available for purchase.

Martin de Candre Vetyver is a monumentally good scent. It is a darker, earthier vetiver, and it is very pure and natural. There must be something wrong with that old sample you have. My wife notices the difference between MdC Vetyver and any other vetiver scent I’ve used, and the MdC stands out dramatically for her (as it does for me).

Of course taste is subjective, but I would be surprised if your brain interprets a fresh MdC Vetyver sample as pepperminty or anything other than a very refined, pure and distinctive earthy vetiver.

I would be surprised if your brain interprets a fresh MdC Vetyver sample as pepperminty or anything other than a very refined, pure and distinctive earthy vetiver.

Yep, that's why I ordered another sample, I'm convinced the one I had has gone off in some way - there is barely any scent at all.

@all Thanks for all the great suggestions: my next cart will be full! :)

Creed vetiver is my benchmark for the green stuff.
If still in production, I'm sure it ships in Europe.

creed vetiver filarmonica oct 25 2013s.jpg

Stirling’s Faskally and Chiseled Face’s cedar and spice get my vote. The Faskally is a sweeter vetiver while the cedar and spice is a smokier and earthier vetiver. Though the Faskally is a seasonal scent and it looks like it’s being discontinued for this year so I’d recommend getting it soon if you’re interested in trying it

I've got a sample of MdC Vétyver, and the performance is excellent, but the scent is a very muted peppermint. I've allowed that the soap is old, so I have another sample on the way.
Of course taste is subjective, but I would be surprised if your brain interprets a fresh MdC Vetyver sample as pepperminty or anything other than a very refined, pure and distinctive earthy vetiver.
Agree 100% with @Mr. Shavington. There's no hint of peppermint in the 3 jars of MdC Vetyver I have experienced. I'm on my third now. It's probably my favorite MdC scent followed by Nature followed by Original.

Final update.

MdC Vétyver - second sample arrived and while there is a distinct vetiver note, it is quite subtle. I was looking for a bit more presence, so I ordered the SV Desert Vetiver, as I feel more confident that it will be a stronger scent.

DR Harris Windsor - wouldn't call this vetiver forward, but it is a very pleasant scent. I got the cream sample as it is what Maggards had in stock, and it lathered superbly but, again, not the scent I was looking for.

Not a vetiver, but I threw a sample of MdC Fougère in to the cart, and it is lovely. Great scent, and the sort of performance you'd expect. Will probably pick up a tub of this down the road.

Catie's Bubble's 322 is a full on vetiver experience. I've got the aftershave and have never used their soaps, but based on that experience, that sounds like the scent you would be looking for. It's the closest thing I've had to the old QED vetiver.

I like the SV Desert Vetiver and it's one the few soaps I use regularly, but it's not a pure vetiver experience.

Top Bottom