What's new

Tabac smell

Last week a charitable guy online sent me a small sample of Tabac so i could know what the scent was like before deciding to buy a whole tub.

I was prepared for the extremes -- love or hate. I read so many posts online where people describe it in such unusual ways -- so much emotion attached to this scent!

When i got the sample I initially felt it has a strong powdery scent, I can understand why people say it is like an old lady's purse. Kind of a familiar scent.

But as the days have gone by i am thinking all it really is, is the smell of SOAP. Not much different than any typical bar of hand soap, scented or unscented. I definitely don't smell tobacco, or any other scents in there.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm kind of underwhelmed and perplexed by the controversy over Tabac...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good thread! I've only tried Arko, of the two.

I admit, the first time I smelled Arko I was a bit taken aback by the strength of it's scent, but in a good way.

I kinda like being slapped in the face with a soap smell, good or bad.

I have both Tabac and Arko.
With Tabac the initial scent was strange but over time I've grown used to it and like the 'unique' scent rather than no scent. No tobacco smell at all I agree.
With Arko, I like it from the start. Again, I prefer a strong scent rather than none or too mild.

Tabac is easily one of my favorite scents...definitely a distinctive smell to my nose. I always describe it as smelling like the barbershop I went to as a kid, back when public smoking and cigarette vending machines were common. It's got kind of a powdery, barbershoppy smell to it, but also kind of a nostalgic smell, very 80s / early 90s after a fashion. (Though Tabac actually goes back to 1959! I guess I don't know how the 60s or 70s smelled, given I wasn't around yet.) It's not exactly a tobacco note like other tobacco soaps I've smelled, but it definitely reminds me of tobacco, in a powdery, barbershoppy way.

As for Arko...well, if you air it out, the stench goes down to bearable levels. I swear, Arko would be a no-brainer if they just made an unscented version...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tabac is easily one of my favorite scents...definitely a distinctive smell to my nose. I always describe it as smelling like the barbershop I went to as a kid, back when public smoking and cigarette vending machines were common. It's got kind of a powdery, barbershoppy smell to it, but also kind of a nostalgic smell, very 80s / early 90s after a fashion. (Though Tabac actually goes back to 1959! I guess I don't know how the 60s or 70s smelled, given I wasn't around yet.) It's not exactly a tobacco note like other tobacco soaps I've smelled, but it definitely reminds me of tobacco, in a powdery, barbershoppy way.

As for Arko...well, if you air it out, the stench goes down to bearable levels. I swear, Arko would be a no-brainer if they just made an unscented version...
Love your description of Tabac, I can smell it perfectly through your words!

I keep my Arko sticks stored in Rx bottles to prevent them "airing out!" lol.

I've used a few refills now as it's the only soap I use. My observations; Sometimes the smell is enough to fill the bathroom when new, other pucks have been fairly low key when opened. The sticks tend to be more 'full on'.

They all 'air out' down to lesser intensity with time. I use it exclusively because apart from being a great shaving soap it doesn't cause me any irritation at all.

Love Tabac, I remember unwrappingthe first puck I bought, taking a big sniff and getting a kick out of the scent strength, but loving it.

It's the first soap I ever 3017'd and I made sure I had a refill beforehand.

Funnily enough I have no problem with the Tabac scent when I'm shaving. But afterwards with the lid off for the puck to dry I can find when walking past it that the smell can be quite cloying.

I like the performance of Tabac. However, I read a review a few years ago that described the scent as “like the inside of an old ladies purse”. That image has been stuck in my head and I can’t get around to using Tabac again.

Top Bottom