What's new

Tabac SC - Weird Lather (or lack of)

This was my first shave with Tabac. I had a heck of a time getting it to lather and never really did get a good one. I started with a regular size "snurdle", and not much was happening. Added some more and had enough to do first pass, but wasn't real smooth. Then added a few drops of glycerine for the next pass. It was better all the way around, but not a normal lather for me with the normal SCs like AOS, GFT, C&E, etc.

Possibly the worst lather I've ever had, but weird because it was very near BBS with almost no extra effort past the normal 3 passes.

Anyone use Tabac alot who can suggest something?

New guy here... I thought that you could use Tabac without any glycerin. I was going to try it for the 1st time tomorrow with the instructions on "how to make lather from soap tutorial". If there is anything else I should do let me know?

(Sorry to jump on the thread, but it was just a timely matter.)

Now that I look it over, you did say "SC". Is that Shaving Cream? I figured you were talking about soap.

I used Tabac SC for the first time yesterday (with a day 2 Derby in a 38C). I lathered in the bowl and got an excellent lather in a minute or 2. I had one of the best shaves since I started wetshaving 2 months ago. Pretty close to BBS ATG in most places. Last night I was amazed at my minimal 9 o'clock shadow.

I can't say for sure that it was the Tabac that made the difference, but the day before with a brand new Derby and TOS Shave Shop cream I got a mediocre shave (I think I might have made the lather too thick resulting in too much cushion).

The few times I used my Tabac SC, I had no problems with the lather and got great shaves...the scent was hard to get past, though, so I traded my two tubes.

The few times I used my Tabac SC, I had no problems with the lather and got great shaves...the scent was hard to get past, though, so I traded my two tubes.
I find the scent just on the favorable side of neutral, and that will probably keep it from being a favorite.

Never have had a problem lathering Tabac; in fact I find it to be one of my best latherers and it gives a superb shave. I lather strictly on my face and do nothing different than what I do with my other great creams, i.e. TOBS (Rose, Lavender & Avocado), Floris JF, Fraser's, Proraso (Green & Red), Musgo and Body Shop. The only "high-end" cream I don't get a good lather with is C&E Almond, but I think I may have an old tub, as the cream is semi-hard, a bit like Proraso soap.

Top Bottom