What's new

Synthetic Brushes Give Different Lather?

I started using synthetics in 2012 when they first came out. Some of those earlier synthetics, IMHO, were horrible. You can read about my experiences here.

Over the years I added to my collection of synthetics. I have use synthetics made by Muhle, AP Shaving, Muhle, Shavemac, Rudy Vey, AP Shaving, Yaqi, Maggards, Plisson, Parker, HIS, among others.

In my experience, there is a difference between the various synthetics. The Muhle, Rudy Vey, one made by Graydog that contains a Juro knot, and Shavemac synthetics load far better than the others I have. They have more backbone and load soap far better than others. They are still soft to the face while at the same time load soap easily.

I'm just finishing the FFFMM with a synth, I have 2, and I can't wait to shave with one of my boars tomorrow. I like the synths just fine but I really missed that luxurious softness of my boars. I don't like badgers at all and even replaced a badger knot with a boar knot. I even looked at my synth a few times this month and wondered about a boar knot in the handle.

Been using boar brushes pretty much exclusively the last 4 years or so when shaving from home. I take a synthetic on the road with me for reasons you are all aware of. Well, decided to use the Fine Stout brush of mine at home because I was having a hard time with Mystic Waters shave stick using my Semogue SOC boar. Long story short, lather was great! No foamy bubbles like I have been getting most of the time. Used it again for today's shave for B&M Reserve and got that dense, low-structure, very hydrating looking lather that seems to elude me much of the time with my Semogue. I wouldn't say the lather I get on the boar is bad. It just doesn't look like many of the lather shots I see posted, whereas the Fine Stout gets it there pretty easily.

I always considered myself a boar guy over these last few years, but the last few shaves has me considering looking at a nice Muhle or EJ synthetic. Are these results expected or consistent with your experiences?

I have a Semogue 830 boar brush that I can never get a consistently good lather with, but I keep telling myself it needs to be broken in. However, lathers are rarely an issue with my synthetic and badger brushes.

I have a Semogue 830 boar brush that I can never get a consistently good lather with, but I keep telling myself it needs to be broken in. However, lathers are rarely an issue with my synthetic and badger brushes.
I have a 830 in a same situation as well. I just try to use it to the best of my abilities but it does lack performance compared to synthetics no matter how much I try. It feels nice though.

IMHO the difference, and there are big differences between synthetics and boar, is not in the lathering but in the loading. Synthetics, swirl for swirl load a lot less, and I mean a lot less product than boars do. Right now I only have one boar (a Semogue) and two synthetics (a tuxedo and a plisson) through self imposed minimalism. I can make exactly the same lather with any of them and any of my soaps but I have to load the synthetics dramatically differently than the boar. I have been using natural brushes on and off since the Ever Ready C 40 and a few synthetic brushes along the way and I have always found this to be the case. The primary reason I love boars and never liked any synthetic is face feel, not the ability to make a lather.

I'm just finishing the FFFMM with a synth, I have 2, and I can't wait to shave with one of my boars tomorrow. I like the synths just fine but I really missed that luxurious softness of my boars. I don't like badgers at all and even replaced a badger knot with a boar knot. I even looked at my synth a few times this month and wondered about a boar knot in the handle.

I'm curious. What is your favorite boar brush?

Different lather? Well, if you like to use a wet brush, yes. Synthetics load better damp since they don't hold much water. With a large boar brush, I can leave lots of water in the brush and load heavy (aka Marco method). With boar brushes, I seldom need to add much water later on since all the water I need is already there in the brush.

I'm curious. What is your favorite boar brush?

I have 2, the Omega 10098 Pro and a boar knot from The Shave Forge (24mmx68mm), it's the one that replaced my badger. I can honestly say the Shave Forge knot is my favorite. It was shave ready right out of the box, no break in required. I sat it just right for backbone and splay. It is like lathering with a cloud. It lathers any soap I have easily and is not a lather hog. It makes yogurty lather that you can feel the weight of the lather. I really don't see a difference in the lather with any of my brushes.

Might have to try a synthetic. I use badger and boar brushes, mostly boar. I had a hard time lathering up mystic waters Irish traveler soap with all my badger and boar brushes. Great scent but just didn’t work for me. I think it’s the soap more than the brushes, no trouble lathering up any other soaps.

Might have to try a synthetic. I use badger and boar brushes, mostly boar. I had a hard time lathering up mystic waters Irish traveler soap with all my badger and boar brushes. Great scent but just didn’t work for me. I think it’s the soap more than the brushes, no trouble lathering up any other soaps.

Mystic Waters is the only soap I've never been able to lather if my life depended on it. Never tried doing it with a synthetic though.

I have two boars. Always run out of lather after 2 passes. Synths are so much easier. But my fav brush is a shavemac badger.

Mystic Waters is the only soap I've never been able to lather if my life depended on it. Never tried doing it with a synthetic though.

I’m sure you have but have you tried more and more water? I have 4 or 5 Mystic Water soaps and they’re all amazing! But they are very thirsty (I use mostly my synthetics with Mystic FYI but also badgers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that my synthetics (APShaveCo SynBad and Cashmere) tend to create a less foamy, denser/creamier lather than my animal hair brushes. They're also faster at doing so. I used to use a Muhle STF brush, but because of how it was harder to splay on my face I didn't use it much and don't remember if it also made a creamier lather faster.

Exactly this. My SynBad & Cashmere brushes make creamier denser lather faster than any badger I’ve ever had.

I’m sure you have but have you tried more and more water? I have 4 or 5 Mystic Water soaps and they’re all amazing! But they are very thirsty (I use mostly my synthetics with Mystic FYI but also badgers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put quite an effort into getting it to work, loading longer, etc. I could never get anything better than thin bubbles, so I just gave up on it. I am very picky with my shave gear, if it's a hassle, even a minor one, I'll keep looking for better and only keep using an item if there's nothing better, or if the pros far outweigh the cons. I could never shave with the stuff so it was an easy call. You're fired!

I have a mixture of boars, badgers, and synthetics. My favorite brushes fall in the badger category. I get a decent lather with all of my brushes. The only thing I dislike about synthetics is that many of them seem to splatter lather on the mirror which makes my wife unhappy. When my wife is not happy, I am not happy! :scared:
I keep a bottle of Windex and a microfiber close by. A quick spray and swipe 10 secs will make your wife happy.

Top Bottom