What's new

Synthetic Brushes Give Different Lather?

Been using boar brushes pretty much exclusively the last 4 years or so when shaving from home. I take a synthetic on the road with me for reasons you are all aware of. Well, decided to use the Fine Stout brush of mine at home because I was having a hard time with Mystic Waters shave stick using my Semogue SOC boar. Long story short, lather was great! No foamy bubbles like I have been getting most of the time. Used it again for today's shave for B&M Reserve and got that dense, low-structure, very hydrating looking lather that seems to elude me much of the time with my Semogue. I wouldn't say the lather I get on the boar is bad. It just doesn't look like many of the lather shots I see posted, whereas the Fine Stout gets it there pretty easily.

I always considered myself a boar guy over these last few years, but the last few shaves has me considering looking at a nice Muhle or EJ synthetic. Are these results expected or consistent with your experiences?

I've found that my synthetics (APShaveCo SynBad and Cashmere) tend to create a less foamy, denser/creamier lather than my animal hair brushes. They're also faster at doing so. I used to use a Muhle STF brush, but because of how it was harder to splay on my face I didn't use it much and don't remember if it also made a creamier lather faster.

Like yourself, I used boars for a long time until I started to realize how much more work they required to get my lather just right. I still love the way boars feel on the face but haven't used one in months because my synthetic takes 1/5th the time, and much less product to make an abundance of rich lather. Synthetics have flaws but their strengths handily make up for them if you ask me.

Same boat here. I’ll still use my boars and badger for feel. There’s a couple soaps I was frustratingly unable to achieve a dense lather. One practice lather with my Yaqi 24mm synth and the results were perfect. I can’t explain, it just worked with consistent results. The synth seemed to be much less sensitive to water balance. Holds the lather well, too.

Yep I’m with Altonius, sometimes if I scrubbed a little with my boar I would get a bit of reaction and reddening to my face. I can do what I want with my synth.

I have found the synthetics will get me to a very nice lather more easily and more consistently than a boar brush. Not that it can't be done with a boar, it is just easier with a synthetic.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No, I get the same lather with every brush. But I find every brush demands it's own technique.

I'm trying to imagine how you would have trouble with an SOC and can't come up with a suggestion - that's the easiest lathering brush I've used. But I think that proves my point and I think you're correct in purchasing brushes that work well with the technique you're using. Makes perfect sense.

I find that synthetics make the best lather with the least effort. I like using shave sticks and I can't get a boar brush to even work with a shave stick. I've tried many times with several boar brushes. I can only get one good pass then I run out of lather.
You can't beat a synthetic for making lather especially when using a stick. Right now I use a RazoRock Big Bruce which is hard to beat for only $13.00.

Hawk_Mystic Water.JPG

Ive always found synthetics to be very easy lathering brushes. They seem to make a great lather with any kind of soap or cream and seem to be more forgiving of using too much or too little water.
IMO, its in part to do with the fact that synthetics dont hold water like natural hair does, so its more difficult to water log the brush.

I have several "cheap" synthetics. They all perform just fine - thicker & creamier lather than any of my Badgers. Nevertheless, I was looking to get a Badger to have as a favorite brush. The Segrada Familia Badger is a good-looking brush, and lathers nicely, as does a VigShaving Badger. Nevertheless, compared to my Yaqi Cola synthetic, they still fall short; the synthetic creates a better, smoother lather more quickly.

I find boars to often be lather hogs. I could see why a boar could struggle with a shake stick, as from a tub I would load a boar brush notably heavier than a synthetic.

Synthetics do give different lather for me as well. Natural hair brushes tend to eat up the lather and especially a lot of the fatty content in the the soap. Often times, I load heavier with natural brushes but will still get less quality of lather than with synthetics. Regardless, I enjoy using all types of bristles but with synthetics, I know I can load less and still get a great result.

I have a mixture of boars, badgers, and synthetics. My favorite brushes fall in the badger category. I get a decent lather with all of my brushes. The only thing I dislike about synthetics is that many of them seem to splatter lather on the mirror which makes my wife unhappy. When my wife is not happy, I am not happy! :scared:

I have a mixture of boars, badgers, and synthetics. My favorite brushes fall in the badger category. I get a decent lather with all of my brushes. The only thing I dislike about synthetics is that many of them seem to splatter lather on the mirror which makes my wife unhappy. When my wife is not happy, I am not happy! :scared:
My wife long ago taught me to clean up after myself to make life easier on her :001_rolle. Nowadays, I'm on my own - if I don't mop up after myself, it won't get done.

I find boars to often be lather hogs. I could see why a boar could struggle with a shake stick, as from a tub I would load a boar brush notably heavier than a synthetic.
Never found that true of my one & only Boar Brush. BUT it's a 100 year-old Ever-Ready 100T from my Grandfather. Back then, they didn't pack them with a luxurious amount of bristles, so it's kinda scrawny by todays' standards. My larger Badgers all seem to be supreme lather hogs & need to be wrung out to complete the last pass or 2 of a shave. My one & only Cremo Horsehair seems to be the closest thing to a synthetic, whipping up a quicker lather & not hogging much soap as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not only do the synths differ from the boar, but also from each other. I've just gone all synthetic. My first boar brush was great. It's replacement wasn't. I'm now using three synthetic brushes on all my main products, to determine which will live in the travel washbag, which will live in the bathroom permanently, and which will by put away as standby, or only brought out for certain products. Not only are they varying in speed/efficiency and face feel, but also consistency and efficacy of the lather too, in my opinion.

I don't find a big difference between synthetic brushes. Of course there will be some differences because of the different sizes of the knot and how it is set. But I find more similarities than differences with synthetics.

Top Bottom