What's new

SWMBO wants an Espresso Machine

I told her that the K-cup must go (counter space issue, and besides the coffee that comes from it is horrible IMHO), I use a Moka Pot or my PressPot for my daily brew, she only used the Keurig on the weekends or if she has a day off during the week. So I told her that she needs to drink Capp's in the AM or make Americanos...I think I have that sold...

So I am down to two models and wanted some feed back...Seems the $400 range is where we need to be for a decent machine...yes/no?

Gaggia Classic
$41GEJM8TPSL._SY450_.jpg

Breville 840 "Infuser"
$81oVxYB2VXL._SL1500_.jpg

there is also the Gaggia "New Baby" (but reviews dont like the plastic construction) and the Breville "Cafe Roma", both of these are $100 cheaper, but not sure by the reviews that they are worth the savings.

I already have a good conical burr grinder!

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I think they're both a double boiler machine, which is good. I would go with the Gaggia personally. The construction seems more commercial and the pump is over 17bar as opposed to the 15bar pump on the Breville. The Gaggia also has a brass 58mm portafilter which will give you options down the road since that is a pretty common size. Keep in mind I have not used either one of these.
Have you considered the Rancilio Silva? I have used one of those and found it to be a very high performing machine. It's the closest to a full size LaMarzocco I've seen in my limited experience using home models. You would have to stretch your budget on the Silvia though.

Forgot to mention...there are many 'coffee geeks' out there who can PID the Gaggia if you ever want that upgrade or at least you can find the step by step instructions to do it yourself. A PID will give you precise temperature control of your brewing. I would think that the Breville can be PID'd too.

One of the advantages for me is that the Breville is available locally, in a shop with a liberal return policy...if that should factor into any descision making

otherwise, thanks for all the above advice

You could not go wrong with either you have narrowed it down to.

Our espresso machine got relegated to the basement as were were not using it enough :sad:

The Gaggia is definitely a single boiler machine. I've owned a couple and used this one. The only thing to know about it is the boiler is aluminum, not brass, which is is expected at that price point these days. I didn't see anything about a grinder in your post. You will need a good burr grinder to make quality espresso.

I already have a good conical burr grinder!

The Gaggia is definitely a single boiler machine. I've owned a couple and used this one. The only thing to know about it is the boiler is aluminum, not brass, which is is expected at that price point these days. I didn't see anything about a grinder in your post. You will need a good burr grinder to make quality espresso.

Covered!

Breville has a hit/miss on quality from my research. You can check for yourself at Coffeegeek.com. Lots of good info there. I have the gaggia classic and love it. If you plan on making 3 or more drinks very often, you may want to step up to a double boiler, but your moving into 2+ times what the classic costs. You say your grinder is covered, what do you have? The grinder is as or more important than the machine.

Lots of good info and reviews over at wholelattelove.com

if it were me I'd go with the Gaggia but would seriously consider the Rancilio Silva if you could swing it.

If espresso quality is your primary concern, go with the Gaggia. If milk is at all a part of this equation, you'll want something with more steam power. In that regard, Silvia is a good option, but it is certainly not the only option.

Not to mention, if milk is not part of the equation, I would go with the cheapest Gaggia you can look at and not cringe. The internals are all exactly the same (except for the 3-way valve on the more expensive ones, starting with Baby).

This means that a used Gaggia Espresso or Evolution is no worse.. just less convenient. (you'll have to allow the residual pressure to dissipate before removing the portafilter, lest you experience the "portafilter sneeze")

Furthermore, Gaggia machines all feature a 3.5oz boiler, which is why milk is out of the question for anything bigger than a traditional cappuccino.

There is also the Lelit PL041, which runs $425 (a very good price point considering what you get, imo).

You should also be aware that it takes a few minutes after the shot is pulled to be able to froth milk, as you'll be waiting for the boiler to get up to steaming temperature. This is only really a factor if you're obsessed with the shot and milk being finished at the same time, or if time is a rare commodity.

I know you say you already have the grinder thing covered, but these gents mean it. Espresso is relentlessly unforgiving to anything less than spectacular grind quality. You say you have it covered, and I'm not saying that you don't.. just making sure that you're sure. I'd rather you and your wife enjoy your espresso experience rather than be unnecessarily frustrated with it.

Feel free to PM me for any reason. I hope this helps.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I did not buy any of those two but I would only say that you should have a look if you cups are fitting under the coffee maker before buying it. I got to remove the tray under the dripper every time I make a coffee because the dripper is too low...

I've got a Gaggia Classic that I've had for probably 5 years. I don't use it much, except on really cold days (and there are few of those in Texas this winter). It takes a while to run, and I'm fairly lazy so normally I just run a pot of strong drip coffee and heat some milk in the microwave and go from there. I used it a lot more when I was retired, but now that I'm doing a six month assignment every year for the past four years that runs from Feb-July, I haven't hooked up the Gaggia much at all. I've got it in a cabinet, along with the other stuff (tamper, knock box, etc.) and it hasn't been used in over a year. If I were you, I would be sure the machine would get a lot of use before I put the money into it. I just don't use mine nearly as much as I thought I would.

Good luck.

There are much more capable/affordable machines out there than the Silvia. 10 years ago it was THE ENTRY machine for almost everyone. A lot has changed since then. Check out www.1st-line.com or www.seattlecoffeegear.com for a host of options.

The coffee geeks and home baristas though, think fairly highly of the Gaggia classic as an entry machine. For curiosity's sake, what grinder are you using?

Breville has a hit/miss on quality from my research. You can check for yourself at Coffeegeek.com. Lots of good info there. I have the gaggia classic and love it. If you plan on making 3 or more drinks very often, you may want to step up to a double boiler, but your moving into 2+ times what the classic costs. You say your grinder is covered, what do you have? The grinder is as or more important than the machine.

The double boiler would only be beneficial if milk is involved. For straight 'spro any machine with temp stability, whether it's SB, HX, or DB will suffice. You just need to understand it's limitations and recovery time.

Forgot to mention...there are many 'coffee geeks' out there who can PID the Gaggia if you ever want that upgrade or at least you can find the step by step instructions to do it yourself. A PID will give you precise temperature control of your brewing. I would think that the Breville can be PID'd too.

PID is definitely a plus when dealing with temperature inconsistent single boiler machines! I've not come across too many people who regretted it.

I think they're both a double boiler machine, which is good. I would go with the Gaggia personally. The construction seems more commercial and the pump is over 17bar as opposed to the 15bar pump on the Breville. The Gaggia also has a brass 58mm portafilter which will give you options down the road since that is a pretty common size. Keep in mind I have not used either one of these.
Have you considered the Rancilio Silva? I have used one of those and found it to be a very high performing machine. It's the closest to a full size LaMarzocco I've seen in my limited experience using home models. You would have to stretch your budget on the Silvia though.

umm..... really?
:sosp:

One last thing. In the spirit of B&B and all things "acquisition disorder," I'd like offer this word of caution. If you think you'll be prone to the common espresso machine disease known as "upgraditus," it might be in your best interest to save your pennies and invest in a machine that will either prevent, discourage, or otherwise prolong the desire to upgrade, or invest in a machine that will maintain a decent trade/resell value. You may have to wait a little longer to purchase said machine, but you would be grateful in the long run.

ENABLE ALERT::My personal recommendations among that "class" of machine (upgrade preventers)
Vibiemme Domobar Super (HX or Double Boiler versions)
Quickmill Vetrano or Andreja (Both HX)
Alex Izzo (version 2 or 3) (HX) or Alex Izzo Duetto (DB)
Mini Vivaldi II (HX or DB)
Rocket (Various versions HX or DB)

For me, a completely "upgrade proof" machine would be the Elektra T1... however, $4200 is a bit much to convince the SWMBO. So in 2 years or so, when we're ready, I'm probably going to go with the VBM or the Izzo HX models.

The double boiler would only be beneficial if milk is involved. For straight 'spro any machine with temp stability, whether it's SB, HX, or DB will suffice. You just need to understand it's limitations and recovery time.

Exactly! The OP mentioned that his wife would be making "Caps" which include milk.

Love the recommendations above. I considered going upgrade-proof, but in the end the $4,200 was a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the kitchen renovation that included a wet bar, plumbing for the new machine, cabinetry, granite tops, etc.

Last edited:
Exactly! The OP mentioned that his wife would be making "Caps" which include milk.

Love the recommendations above. I considered going upgrade-proof, but in the end the $4,200 was a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the kitchen renovation that included a wet bar, plumbing for the new machine, cabinetry, granite tops, etc.

Ah, I must have missed the line regarding the cappas. Regardless, a good HX would be more than enough.

Top Bottom