What's new

First time cleaning espresso machine

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Where else BUT here can you ask? :001_tongu

The new Breville Cafe Roma changed my life back in November.

The 15-bar pressure definitely makes better coffee - to me - than the moka pots we used for years. Anyways.

It's reached the three-month mark. Old Mr. Coffee-type makers, people would just run white vinegar through it.

I did just order some cleaning tablets off 'Zon:
Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets - CleanEspresso Model BR-040 - For Breville Espresso Machines

but other sources indicate running half vinegar, half water through also.

The machine DOES have a double-wall filter - by its nature, needs super-cleaning.

Our water is not calcified/hard etc. - here on the Gulf Coast we have the opposite, I think? Where the sprinkler well-water makes iron stains? We have that water, I am guessing.

Am I on the right track? Because I am not going to live without this sweet, sweet machine.

Thanks for help.

AA

Iron stains are also indicative of hard water. We’ve used filtered water in our espresso machines.

Follow the manufacturers instructions for cleaning and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used citric acid (available in the canning or spice isle).

I've heard bad things about vinegar and rubber parts/gaskets so never tried it

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Iron stains are also indicative of hard water. We’ve used filtered water in our espresso machines.

Follow the manufacturers instructions for cleaning and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aha! OK, I had it backwards; thanks.

AAA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've always used citric acid (available in the canning or spice isle).

I've heard bad things about vinegar and rubber parts/gaskets so never tried it

Yikes. Ok; well, I'm not sure what's in these tablets but they ARE said to be OK for Breville machines ... not risking damage. I need this machine for life-support:

AA

I agree with Mick - citric acid is what you need for a good clean and descale of the boiler. Get some food-grade citric acid - it's cheap as chips.

Descaling routine: Put about 40g citric into your reservoir, and fill with warm water, stir to dissolve if possible or use hotter water and leave for 10min. Once the solution is fully dissolved place a cup under the group head. Run the machine on the group (in your case also leave the PF attached for thorough cleaning of the filter) until the reservoir is about 70% depleted... Now top up with about another 25g citric and water and run the steam and HW wands if you have them, until the reservoir's about 30% depleted. Leave it for an hour or so with the boiler on - heat is a catalyst and helps the descaling. Using tap water rinse thoroughly through the group head and any wands on the machine. Put at least 1.5L through. After this you're good to go.

I do the same as OldGnome and use filtered water for my machine. Possibly a bit superstitious, as I definitely live in a soft-water area, but I feel it can't hurt.

If you don't have such a routine already, I'd also recommend doing the following daily to ensure you continue to get nice-tasting espressos:

- remove portafilter
- run machine into a large mug until no more grounds appear in the water
- brush thoroughly with a Pallo group brush or similar
- wipe into and around group head with a clean cloth
- rinse once more

That process ensures you get a minimum of rancid coffee oils entrained with your espresso.

ETA: I occasionally use baby-bottle sterilising fluid to clean the reservoir, as biofilm will eventually form however often you use the machine. Try not to leave water in the reservoir if the machine is out of use for more than a day or so, and leave it on for 30min or so before use to kill any microbes in the boiler.

Luke

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I agree with Mick - citric acid is what you need for a good clean and descale of the boiler. Get some food-grade citric acid - it's cheap as chips.

Descaling routine: Put about 40g citric into your reservoir, and fill with warm water, stir to dissolve if possible or use hotter water and leave for 10min. Once the solution is fully dissolved place a cup under the group head. Run the machine on the group (in your case also leave the PF attached for thorough cleaning of the filter) until the reservoir is about 70% depleted... Now top up with about another 25g citric and water and run the steam and HW wands if you have them, until the reservoir's about 30% depleted. Leave it for an hour or so with the boiler on - heat is a catalyst and helps the descaling. Using tap water rinse thoroughly through the group head and any wands on the machine. Put at least 1.5L through. After this you're good to go.

I do the same as OldGnome and use filtered water for my machine. Possibly a bit superstitious, as I definitely live in a soft-water area, but I feel it can't hurt.

If you don't have such a routine already, I'd also recommend doing the following daily to ensure you continue to get nice-tasting espressos:

- remove portafilter
- run machine into a large mug until no more grounds appear in the water
- brush thoroughly with a Pallo group brush or similar
- wipe into and around group head with a clean cloth
- rinse once more

That process ensures you get a minimum of rancid coffee oils entrained with your espresso.

ETA: I occasionally use baby-bottle sterilising fluid to clean the reservoir, as biofilm will eventually form however often you use the machine. Try not to leave water in the reservoir if the machine is out of use for more than a day or so, and leave it on for 30min or so before use to kill any microbes in the boiler.

Luke

Great info Luke; many thanks!

AA

Am I the only one that plops razors in the carafe during descaling a coffee maker? Makes them clean as a whistle, super shiny.

I have the Breville Oracle. I've had Juras, Capressos (same machine under a different name), and a few others. The Breville is by far the best of the machines I've tried and their customer service is superb. I had a few issues with minor parts and they both sent the parts at no charge and also instructions on how to install them. Never had to get into the machine and the cleaning procedure is the simplest of any I've had. There are times when I think I must have overlooked something in the manual as the maintenance of this machine is too simple.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the Breville Oracle. I've had Juras, Capressos (same machine under a different name), and a few others. The Breville is by far the best of the machines I've tried and their customer service is superb. I had a few issues with minor parts and they both sent the parts at no charge and also instructions on how to install them. Never had to get into the machine and the cleaning procedure is the simplest of any I've had. There are times when I think I must have overlooked something in the manual as the maintenance of this machine is too simple.

Almost a year of daily use later, I still love the Breville Roma.

I do run white vinegar through it every three months. Only use these tablets for soaking the double-boiler. Think they would eat the insides up.

AA

There is a liquid product that you can get I use it on my machine once every few months I run a tank of water with it mixed in and it blasts all the scale out and as you run the machine it desolves it there are a few brands of solution iv got a sunbeam machine my self and there hasn’t been an issue for me and it leaves not adverse tast to you brew at all but I’m in Australia and I’m not sure if you can get it where you are it’s 250 ml to 2 leters I think it converts over to half a gallon In the old math and works great it’s an expresso machine descaler I just got the cheap store brand but it works

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cafiza espresso machine cleaner! I was recommended this a long time ago and have used it ever since. I clean my pot and mugs with it.

Citric acid for cleaning boilers. I've cleaned many hx boilers with it. Try it in your kettle (boil water in your kettle with a sprinkle in there) and see its effective!

Top Bottom