What's new

Swiss Army Knives?

i keep a small victorinox for everyday use and it has yet to fail.i forget how long ive had it but its been a good long while.

I bought a SwissTool (the plain Jane SwissTool) because I got sick of Leatherman and Leatherman imitations falling apart and I wanted to try something different. Plus, the SwissTool had tools that were more useful to me, and less tools I won't use. In fact, I regularly use every tool in the SwissTool. I seriously abuse mine. I use it in ways that are beyond it's design intent. If and when it ever does give up the ghost, there's no way I'm sending it in for repair, I'll buy another.
I'm on year 4 with it. The red paint is almost gone, and the hard wire cutter is dull because I tried to cut wire too hard (and I did know I was doing the wrong thing at the time, but didn't have a choice). I keep it sharp and oiled, and it doesn't fail me.

Incidentally, the SwissTool does not work like a traditional Leatherman. You do not have to open it up like a pliers to use the other tools. You don't even know the pliers are there unless you need them. And, every tool locks. You can even use and lock multiple tools, though that is strongly discouraged.

Swiss Army Knives are NOT TOYS!

Instead they are some of the best bang for the buck in the knife industry! I'm a custom knifemaker and simply have 100's of knives... on a daily basis I carry 2 SAK's!!

I carry a Hercules on my belt and a mini Champ in my pocket. The Farmer and Pioneer are also favorites of mine!!

Tom

Legion

Staff member
So Ive looked through the Victorinox and Wegner sites...some nice looking knifes, and knowing that they are more that just for looks, I think I'll get one...however, it seems that all of the ones in my price range either come with a Phillips head, OR a cork screw, and not both...

Get the Philips head. More and more wine bottles are coming with screw top lids. You always use the screw driver.

I carry two. The older "Soldier" (first knife picture) is often in my pocket, depending on the day's activities. The newer "Standard Issue" (second knife picture) is in my car. This one is bigger than the older one and is more "pack-able" than it is "pocket-carry-able". These are both Victorinox.

The older version is no longer available but there are a couple that are nearly identical. I think there is one that IS identical except it has a bail (for attaching key chain, etc.). I think a Wenger version was pictured in one of the above posts.

I just love the Victorinox CEO, Carl Elsener, Jr. (remaining picture). There are videos of him speaking about Victorinox. He has a very distinctive voice and accent (when speaking in English).

Attachments

• $800px-Soldatenmesser_08-2.jpg
    $800px-Soldatenmesser_08-2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 126
  • $Swiss_Army_Knive_opened.jpg
    $Swiss_Army_Knive_opened.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 124
  • $elsener.jpg
    $elsener.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I love Swiss army knives, specially the older Soldier model. I like this one for traveling, Especially in times when knife laws are getting strikter and strikter " locking blades are not allowed in some countries".

Legion

Staff member
I love Swiss army knives, specially the older Soldier model. I like this one for traveling, Especially in times when knife laws are getting strikter and strikter " locking blades are not allowed in some countries".
Yes, I think the sight of the old red handled SAK is probably the least likely to make people nervous these days. When I was an eight year old in the cub scouts you were required to carry one. Now as an adult I could get arrested. Go figure.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
This great medium sized Victorinox has held up for years in someones pocket. It was a second hand find for me and a few minutes work on a few stones had the nicks out of the blade and it nice and sharp. Long enough to hold easily but with a very slim thickness so you hardly feel it in your pocket. They obviously hold up well as all the age on this one shows.

Tony

Attachments

• $swiss.jpg
    $swiss.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 119
I carry one every day, usually one of the Executive series, like the SwissLite. I use it every day, sometimes hourly! I chafe every time I get on an airplane and not have it. The blades are honest, relatively easy to sharpen, the scissors work, the tweezers are indispensable in an emergency (wood splinters, for instance). I usually lose one every couple of years. I've never worn one out.

Legion

Staff member
Oh yeah, worth mentioning that they have some of the best nail scissors I can find. I actually keep a Victorinox in my bathroom just for trimming my nails. I hate those little nail trimmers.

Inspired by this thread I walked around and counted all the SWK's I own. Eight, of one model or another, scattered all over the house and in the car.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I carry a SD all the time and have various other models in coat pockets of winter jackets and car glove compartment. The tweezers on the SD are life savers. You really don't want the itchiness or pain of a splinter that has been working its way in for hours.

Mike

This great medium sized Victorinox has held up for years in someones pocket. It was a second hand find for me and a few minutes work on a few stones had the nicks out of the blade and it nice and sharp. Long enough to hold easily but with a very slim thickness so you hardly feel it in your pocket. They obviously hold up well as all the age on this one shows.

Tony

Tony, thats the Soldier and its a fantastic little knife. The Alox handled knives are my favorite.

I actually gave one of these to my dad as he was always breaking the blades of his Buck stockmen trying to use the blades as screwdrivers. After I gave him a Soldier he never had another broken blade!

GREAT KNIVES!

Tom

I think I've cut everything *except* fingernails with that scissor. It seems to stay sharp enough to cut paper even after cutting many wires.

Legion

Staff member
Does anybody know a simple way of getting the plastic scales off a SAK? I was thinking of getting some ivory if I can, if not bone, and trying my hand at making my own scrimshaw scales. A victorinox might be a good practice knife which is reasonable quality, without costing too much if I bugger it up. I have plenty of those to play with.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
And for those who need everything in a knife we have the Victorinox Ruby Swiss Champ XAVT:

The SwissChamp XAVT includes the following tools:​

• Large blade
  • Small blade
  • Corkscrew
  • Can opener with
  • -small screwdriver 3 mm
  • Bottle opener with
  • -large screwdriver 6 mm
  • -wire stripper
  • Reamer
  • Key ring
  • Tweezers
  • Toothpick
  • Scissors
  • Multi-purpose hook (also parcel carrier)
  • Wood saw
  • Fishscaler with
  • -hook disgorger
  • -ruler (cm & inches)
  • Nail file with
  • -metal file
  • -nail cleaner
  • -metal saw
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Chisel
  • Pliers with
  • -wire cutters
  • -wire crimping tool
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Magnifying Glass
  • Ball point pen
  • -also to set DIP-Switches
  • Pin
  • Mini-screwdriver
  • Sewing eye
| width="300" |
  • Wrench with
  • -5mm female Hex drive for D-SUB connectors
  • -4mm female Hex drive for the bits
  • -Bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Slotted 4 mm
  • -Bit Phillips 2
  • -Bit Hex 4 mm
  • -Bit Torx 8
  • -Bit Torx 10
  • -Bit Torx 15
  • Large blade
  • LED light, white
  • Multi-purpose hook with nailfile
  • Reamer
  • Pruning blade
  • Electrician's blade with wire scraper
  • -wire scraper
  • Pharmaceutical spatula
  • Combination tool with cap lifter
  • -can opener
  • -screwdriver
  • -wire stripper
  • Watch opener
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Digital clock
  • Altimeter
  • Barometer
  • Alarm
  • Countdown
  • Timer
  • Thermometer
|-

Attachments

• $V53509_open.jpg
    $V53509_open.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 89

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And for those who need everything in a knife we have the Victorinox Ruby Swiss Champ XAVT:

The SwissChamp XAVT includes the following tools:​

• Large blade
  • Small blade
  • Corkscrew
  • Can opener with
  • -small screwdriver 3 mm
  • Bottle opener with
  • -large screwdriver 6 mm
  • -wire stripper
  • Reamer
  • Key ring
  • Tweezers
  • Toothpick
  • Scissors
  • Multi-purpose hook (also parcel carrier)
  • Wood saw
  • Fishscaler with
  • -hook disgorger
  • -ruler (cm & inches)
  • Nail file with
  • -metal file
  • -nail cleaner
  • -metal saw
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Chisel
  • Pliers with
  • -wire cutters
  • -wire crimping tool
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Magnifying Glass
  • Ball point pen
  • -also to set DIP-Switches
  • Pin
  • Mini-screwdriver
  • Sewing eye
| width="300" |
  • Wrench with
  • -5mm female Hex drive for D-SUB connectors
  • -4mm female Hex drive for the bits
  • -Bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Slotted 4 mm
  • -Bit Phillips 2
  • -Bit Hex 4 mm
  • -Bit Torx 8
  • -Bit Torx 10
  • -Bit Torx 15
  • Large blade
  • LED light, white
  • Multi-purpose hook with nailfile
  • Reamer
  • Pruning blade
  • Electrician's blade with wire scraper
  • -wire scraper
  • Pharmaceutical spatula
  • Combination tool with cap lifter
  • -can opener
  • -screwdriver
  • -wire stripper
  • Watch opener
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Digital clock
  • Altimeter
  • Barometer
  • Alarm
  • Countdown
  • Timer
  • Thermometer
|-

I'm waiting for the model that has the chain-saw and lawn chair.

Top Bottom