What's new

Traditional Pocket knife vs. Utility knife

At one time, this would be a simple answer for me...pocket knife. Especially compared to the big and bulky box cutter options.

But, with many companies offering small, well made, inexpensive and multi-use utility knives now (bottle openers, screw-driver bits, pry bar, etc.), I'm not so sure. Plus, with a removeable box cutter blade that can be found anywhere, it may be easier to travel with. I'm especially thinking of having to cross state lines where knife laws have gotten a hundred times more complicated than gun laws- which is absolutely ridiculous. I'd hate to get in a situation where a State's 2.5 inch blade limit or a law against assisted opening knives could potentially get one of my favorites confiscated. Add to the fact that some cities and counties can still make their own laws more strict than the State law makes it more confusing.

I'm a collector of pocket knives, but in reality, my Leatherman Wave goes with me 100% of the time because I need pliers quite a bit at work. I usually do carry a dedicated knife to go along with it, but researching these smaller utility knives got me thinking about replacing the pocket knife.

Just wanted to generate some discussion on the pros and cons of each. Does anyone use a utility knife as their primary knife?

Something like this is what I'm interested in:

1677325340508.png

I have one of these around the house but I would be hesitant to carry it as an all purpose EDC. It’s fine for opening boxes (who would have thought ;) ) but the usable blade length, holding mechanism and blade thickness makes it subpar for much else.

A5E72F63-97BD-48DB-8487-BB4E96A97BC7.png

My most modest knives that I carry in jurisdictions with strict knife laws are the Vic Waiter and Alox Bantam.

8448C183-654C-48B9-BA2F-935ABAD61885.jpeg

4EC59519-72D9-457E-BDDD-5AA6E0A156AB.jpeg

I carry one of these on days I know I’ll be cutting a bunch of stuff I don’t want to subject an actual knife to: FASTBACK 6in1 Folding Utility Knife | Milwaukee Tool - https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/Knives-and-Blades/48-22-1505

I wouldn’t use it as an edc, though. As @Multum in parvo already mentioned, I just carry a Swiss Army knife if I’m traveling somewhere with stricter knife laws than Tennessee (pretty much everywhere lol). If I’m going into a large city while traveling I usually just leave the knife in the truck, hotel or wherever while I’m out and about.

I carry one of these on days I know I’ll be cutting a bunch of stuff I don’t want to subject an actual knife to: FASTBACK 6in1 Folding Utility Knife | Milwaukee Tool - https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/Knives-and-Blades/48-22-1505

I wouldn’t use it as an edc, though. As @Multum in parvo already mentioned, I just carry a Swiss Army knife if I’m traveling somewhere with stricter knife laws than Tennessee (pretty much everywhere lol). If I’m going into a large city while traveling I usually just leave the knife in the truck, hotel or wherever while I’m out and about.
Indiana has very few legal restrictions on knives.

I have one of these around the house but I would be hesitant to carry it as an all purpose EDC. It’s fine for opening boxes (who would have thought ;) ) but the usable blade length, holding mechanism and blade thickness makes it subpar for much else.

View attachment 1611687

My most modest knives that I carry in jurisdictions with strict knife laws are the Vic Waiter and Alox Bantam.

View attachment 1611688

View attachment 1611689
Victorinox has been my main focus of collecting for 20+ years. The waiter was one of the last ones I ever looked at because its simplicity was too simple in my mind. I carry it a lot, though, and love it. ;)

Indiana has very few legal restrictions on knives.
I just googled it and overall, you're right. But, here's part of the headaches you can come across:

"In Indiana, state law does not apply throughout local municipalities, meaning that towns can have other restrictive laws regarding knives. For example, carrying a knife in public parks is illegal in South Bend and Westfield.

In Merrillville, you can only carry pocket knives with blades shorter than two inches. In addition, it is illegal to conceal-carry any other knife in public within the town."

I just googled it and overall, you're right. But, here's part of the headaches you can come across:

"In Indiana, state law does not apply throughout local municipalities, meaning that towns can have other restrictive laws regarding knives. For example, carrying a knife in public parks is illegal in South Bend and Westfield.

In Merrillville, you can only carry pocket knives with blades shorter than two inches. In addition, it is illegal to conceal-carry any other knife in public within the town."
I agree, a few municipalities have their own stricter laws than what is covered by Indiana Codes, but on a practical level I doubt LE is interested in enforcing those statutes given the problems with serious crimes they face on a daily basis.

I agree, a few municipalities have their own stricter laws than what is covered by Indiana Codes, but on a practical level I doubt LE is interested in enforcing those statutes given the problems with serious crimes they face on a daily basis.
Yup and like us retired LEOs, most of the guys I worked with are gun/knife guys to some extent, also. But, I do like to follow local law to a "T" when I go through these jurisdictions just in case. Things like this "less than 2 inch blade" makes it much harder. That's your Vic Classic knife and almost nothing else.

Yup and like us retired LEOs, most of the guys I worked with are gun/knife guys to some extent, also. But, I do like to follow local law to a "T" when I go through these jurisdictions just in case. Things like this "less than 2 inch blade" makes it much harder. That's your Vic Classic knife and almost nothing else.
I agree, and obviously I would never encourage anyone to knowingly break any law.

Spyderco Chicago comes to mind for a locking one but there are a couple of choices around including some Protech Autos if blade length is the only factor.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My little Case doctor's knife is in my pocket every day, ready to split pills or crush them, open mail, cut limes for beer, and serve barbecue. It is so inconsequential that I never even think of gun laws. All of the knives that look like tactical gear are off putting to me. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

All of the knives that look like tactical gear are off putting to me.
I've collected some over the years that did appeal to me but for the most part, I'm with ya. My favorite knife of all time is a Case large Stockman with bone handles and carbon blades. My son got it for me for Christmas when he was about 16 and first started working part-time. :) It sees a lot of pocket time and I love watching how the bone and blades patina over the years.

Just wanted to generate some discussion on the pros and cons of each. Does anyone use a utility knife as their primary knife?

Not even close: my Leatherman Classic (dating from the late 1990s, in my pipefitting days) is my EDC knife. I have, in the same day, used that to repair a computer, a kitchen table, jewelry, and to garden.

-Z

Top Bottom