What's new

surfers unite.

IMG_9689.PNG
IMG_9685.JPG

Got out for a couple hours this evening. 5+ft @ 7 seconds. Dead low. Water 80+, air 79, light NW breeze. Unusual to have a strong cold front in late May.

Yes, Gulf Coasters love this kind of day!

Last edited:
We have long droughts, but this past winter we had a front pass through once or twice a week, it seemed. About this time of year, the fronts stop making through the state and we hope for tropical surf. Back in 2004 and 2005, it seemed as though we had waves on end with the tropical systems. Lately, we have only had 2 or 3 systems give us rideable waves between June and the first front in October or November. I would have surfed a ton this winter if not for work. Missed a lot of rideable days.

The cameras are showing a longboardable wave about thigh high and super clean at low tide. Not feeling the 45 minute ride out to Captiva tonight, though...

IMG_0162.JPG
Missed a couple bigger days, but paddled out at Matosinhos for Father's Day. Just thigh to waist with rented epoxy boards and suits for 63 degree water. Saw it well overhead a couple days ago.

I was planning on getting some clean swell from the southeast quadrant of Harvey this weekend, but local low-pressure has kept us in 10 to 20 mile an hour southwest winds, chopping it up. About head high today and not very clean. Went out for an hour for paddling exercise in triathlon preparation, as I am not going to go out for a run or bike in torrential tropical rain. Fun!

We're already getting some tasty waves courtesy of Jose. Supposed to last through this weekend - I'm going to give it a try on Saturday.
Maria is starting to look dangerous.... it's becoming a Catagory 5.

The whole of Long Island is usually slop but, Lido West, Long Beach and Rockaway Beach have bottoms that don't drop off for a few hundred yards off shore. On a good day, you can catch a 30 second ride. Long Beach, NY hosted a ASP tournament a few years ago - got to see Kelly Slater successfully ride a barrel. Barrels happen once every 20 years around here!

That's the one!

Kept looking at the cams on Captiva the last couple of days and decided to take the drive out just after noon today. Found one of the limited parking lots closed as the big tide and onshore flow washed over it last night. Went out to Tween Waters Inn and found a couple of others out. The local wind was SSW putting a little crosschop on Nate's SW swell, but what fun on the little quad I brought! The wind went slack for a couple of fun chest high runners. Wish I had gone out earlier!

Irma was the storm that visited this season. Loads of debris roadside, but nothing like Charley in '04. Charley's Cat 4 eye split Upper Captiva into 2 islands, and knocked the mangroves down to a third of their height. Irma's eye passed about 30 miles inland, and was only Cat 2. There were several large debris haulers on the island Sunday.
IMG_1304.jpg
Went back out after work with my daughter today. Thigh high and clean, but the tide was a bit high.

Yes... Irma. Glad it wasn't too bad. Used to be able to go out after work, back in the 90's. These days, I have a 90 minute commute. The drive to the beach takes 30 min so sadly, I'm a weekend warrior these days. Definitley going out this Saturday... Surfline is predicting excellent 5-6 footers! Woof!!!

Top Bottom