What's new

surfers unite.

I was down here in Rockport, Texas for the last few days and just moved over to Mustang Island and Port A., Texas yesterday. Rockport has probably one of my favorite places to SUP in Texas. Surprisingly, the water is less choppy here in Port A. even though we are actually on the Gulf Coast now, whereas Rockport is nestled behind a barrier island and bay. I was hoping to do some surfing here in Port A., but the forecast shows it to be fairly smooth. Right now, the waves are only 1.5 - 2.5 feet tall, so I am probably just going to catch some sun and relaxation. I'll be sure to post if conditions look up!

Today, I am heading further down the coast, 30 miles to Padre Island National Seashore (different from South Padre).

I don't surf as much now that I'm a busy parent. But I still get out there.

$IMG_2935.JPG

Been a while since I've posted on this thread.

Summer was FLAT by the house, but I got a lot of kayaking in, and drove to other spots for swells that we don't catch.
The first few NW swells have come in, and the sand bars are cleaning up nicely. I've caught it by the house before work lately from chest high to DOH on my three main boards - a 9'2" Walden Magic Model, a 5'11" Barry V quad, and a 6'8" Bonzer 5 fin for bigger days.

Had a few great Thanksgiving weekend surfs that exemplify Fall in California:

Thursday - Oxnard. A couple feet overhead & good power on the big ones, cold offshore breeze. A bit crowded for the the break, about 20 guys in the water. A ton of fun until I got caught by a set of 6 waves. Decided to call it a day and go in.

Friday - Port Hueneme. Chest to head high & hollow, clear water (rare here), warm air and clean conditions. A few guys out, but my friend & I found a peak of our own a bit off the pier.

Saturday - Oxnard again. Clean, head high waves, but a storm on the way had the water churning & gray. Watched the Channel Islands disappear in a wall of white, followed by an oil rig that's 3 miles offshore. The wind turned sideshore and I got a last wave as it started to drizzle. By the time I changed, it was dumping rain (even non-Californians were calling it rain) and the wind had picked up to 20kts sideshore.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Dawn patrol, Oxnard beach break

Air 50 something, water lo 60's (maybe hi 50's)

Fun one hour session. Hit it just before sunrise. chest to head high and pretty good shape, better on the lefts. Good way to get into the work week.

Rode a 5'11" quad

Afternoon Oxnard beach break

Air - high 50's
Water - high 50's
Wind - 12kts offshore
Waves - knee to waist with one rogue set to chest
5'11" Quad

Chilly and small, but the afternoon light and the offshore wind made everything light up. Well formed A-frames with some fun micro barrels had my buddy & I smiling the whole session. I was torn between the shortboard and a longboard, but the thought of lugging a 9'2" back up the beach in the wind tipped the scales to the shorty.

I will be headed down to the Gulf Coast over this Christmas break to try to catch some waves down in Port A. We've had some sub-zero temperatures here in the Texas Panhandle, and with five weeks off from college --- I'm looking forward to heading south. Water temperatures are currently hovering around 66 - 68 degrees.

Been surfing Oxnard a lot, but on Christmas Day I headed down to one of my favorite hidden gems on PCH. It was mostly chest high, but the bigger sets were a foot or two over head.

Attachments

• $20161225_124828.jpg
    $20161225_124828.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 37
This is my first time on this part of badgerandblade. This brings back lots of memories. I surfed all the time as a teen and into my mid 20's. I surfed on a 6'4, tri-fin. Now, I'm 47 and would love to get back into it. I live in southeast Florida, so I could do it. Just need to get into shape again. Also, the crowds have gotten so bad. Are there any peeps on the board that have stopped for quite some time and have gotten back in the water?

This is my first time on this part of badgerandblade. This brings back lots of memories. I surfed all the time as a teen and into my mid 20's. I surfed on a 6'4, tri-fin. Now, I'm 47 and would love to get back into it. I live in southeast Florida, so I could do it. Just need to get into shape again. Also, the crowds have gotten so bad. Are there any peeps on the board that have stopped for quite some time and have gotten back in the water?

I'm 46. The great thing with surfing is that it really is pretty easy on the body - not a lot of hard impacts.
I've surfed since '78, and I'm finding this era of surfing is probably the best ever. Experimentation with different surf-craft is at an all time high. I've hit a point where I look at my boards and just try to figure out what matches conditions.

My current favorites for my area are (SoCal, Ventura County):
5'11" quad (really fun, loose and skatey)
6'8" five fin bonzer (needs power, uber confident riding when the chips are down)
7'6" Walden Magic fun board (my Wife's board, but I steal it whenever conditions are right)
9'2" Walden Magic Model(incredible performance longboard)

The point is, today's surfing is all about finding what works for you and keeps you smiling.

Havent hit this thread in a while, always nice coming back and seeing the great pic!

No better way to get back in shape, than to get back out ;)

Surfing has been spotty here on the Texas Coast. Yesterday, the sets were coming in more consistently than the day before and I was fortunate to catch a few. The winds were off, so the waves crested nicely, however, they died down considerably by 4:00. Right now the off-shore waters are choppy, so I did a little fishing down at Baffin Bay. We limited out on Spotted Trout, caught several Drum, and one Sheep's Head. Tomorrow a front is blowing in, so I'll have to wait and see how it affects things.

Surfing has been spotty here on the Texas Coast. Yesterday, the sets were coming in more consistently than the day before and I was fortunate to catch a few. The winds were off, so the waves crested nicely, however, they died down considerably by 4:00. Right now the off-shore waters are choppy, so I did a little fishing down at Baffin Bay. We limited out on Spotted Trout, caught several Drum, and one Sheep's Head. Tomorrow a front is blowing in, so I'll have to wait and see how it affects things.

I do the same when it's flat or conditions are funky. Usually just kayaking and casting a line or hoop netting around local breakwalls. But now & then I have access to a 30 foot power boat to get out to the Channel Islands.

Sat & Sun - got out at Oxnard, waist high and gentle. But conditions were uncrowded & clean with a slight offshore.
Weather:
Air high 50's
Water lo-mid 50's

Cold, rain, a really high tide, and choppy wind conspired against surfing this morning before work. Fortunately, good sense has never stopped me from paddling out. Amidst the chaos, there were a few fun gems to be had.

Rode my Wife's 7'6" fun board (Walden Mini Magic model). Perfect for conditions - maneuverable, paddles exceptionally well, soaks up chop and handles sketchy drops well

Got out again in Oxnard on Saturday.

Size / Direction/ Period: Chest High WNW swell @ 14 seconds
Wind: Gusty NW @ 5-10kts (on the heavier gusts)
Texture: Somewhat choppy
Temps: Air mid 60's, Water high 50's
Rode a 5'11" quad with great results. This board is really funky to look at, but works really well - 5'11" X 20.25" X 2.5"

Surprisingly good shape, but tough to judge. We'd drop in on perfect shoulders that would suddenly wall up, or take a total closeout that would suddenly open up for a racetrack run.

Heading to the Central Coast this weekend for some fun surf watching. While I still enjoy paddling on big days - 41-49ft is a bit out of my range these days.....

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.30.14 AM.png
    $Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.30.14 AM.png
    141 KB · Views: 10
Ended up not going on the trip to central California - the swell (while still huge) didn't show up as big as surfline.com said it would.

Instead, my buddy & I found a corner that could handle the wind and put some shape to the waves:

Attachments

• $SuperTubes055.jpg
    $SuperTubes055.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 6
Wow! Glad to see this thread is still going! Here's the first time my Dewey Weber 10' Performer was at the beach... just before I gave it a coat of wax. Lido Beach, NY
Ajax DW2.jpg

Top Bottom