What's new

surfers unite.

Get some! That's one reason I hate about the days getting shorter from 6/21 on. As the cold fronts start coming, work load increases and sunlight hours decrease.

Here's my surfboard...

Full disclosure... I've never been on an actual surfboard but the OW+ is supposed to a good simulator for surfing/snowboarding on powder.

F1C01ABC-A9C5-4245-BEB6-1CD7744DE54F.png
Cold front waves today! Low wave count, though, as they came with wind and drift. Air and water temp were fine with a 3/2 full. It had been a long time!

597B0FB9-8538-4A1E-A6A8-CE736C1582C1.jpeg
4262948C-9006-48D1-8FC0-828CBA41A899.jpeg
Alberto....
Man! It’s been a long time since I’ve been out! Drove out to Captiva last evening, but it was flaaaaaat. Saving grace was the pod of dolphins feeding north of the jetty. Went to Ft. Myers Beach today and found some chop, but grabbed a handful of small, fun lines in 80 degree water. Captiva looks quite a bit bigger, but after driving out yesterday...

7A899E1E-14F8-4C8C-8B37-4A83DA26A90D.jpeg
35ED9B5E-FEC0-433D-8885-B59E4055A246.jpeg
Got out this morning for the first time in months! I went to Matunuck, Rhode Island. It was a bit crowded there with little parking available. Crowd was not too bad in the water, though, for waist to chest high longboard waves. A friend of my family had a quiver of boards in the back of her truck and asked if we wanted to go. Hell yes! Lucked into another session in New England! I just can’t figure out why I was the only one skinning it in late August with 75 degree air and water temps!

Setting up to be an epic day (Gulf Coast standards) in SW FL tomorrow. The day starts offshore and builds to head high by evening, I think... Love when a storm comes up through the Yucatan Channel!

Got out last evening with Michael less than 200 miles offshore. Up to a couple feet overhead. Water in the mid 80s but the red tide is bad. It was worse in 2005, but I didn’t see the worst of it earlier this summer. There was flooding near Blind Pass on the Sanibel side. Beach renourishment never lasts here.

Thanks!

index.html

There are several pages of Hurricane Michael waves on the West coast of FL, including some down my way. Not the biggest we've had here, but decent size with offshores early in the event.

Missed out on a fine post-cold front day yesterday. I was throwing mulch instead of sliding down some glassy waist + peelers. I’m making a commitment to surfing more this winter.

Finally got out today. We had some crazy weather in SWFL Thursday and Friday, but the winds finally laid down overnight and we had some of the biggest and cleanest cold front surf in recent memory this morning. No pics, but it was about as good as it gets for a December front.

Finally got back in the water. Small (waist with plus) at high tide Saturday morning with Barry approaching Louisiana. Winds were light offshore. Up coast was bigger, but I had fun for three hours!

A little Cristobal surf in Venice, FL, at the pier today. The S wind and drift were on it by mid afternoon as the tide dropped out. Not a great session, but glad to know I can still get to my feet! It's been that long!

Faye is a long way away, but we have some onshore flow in her wake here in Siesta Key, FL. Yesterday was pretty weak and barely rideable on a 9’6”, but this morning was pretty fun. Water temp is 90+ and air temp slightly more. Glad to get out!
883BE2FB-1D17-44F2-830B-4876DC7D4EEF.jpeg

Top Bottom