What's new

Superspeed and Tech vs my current razors

Hi

Currently use a Weber Polished/Bulldog combo but also have Merkur 34C, DE89 and Gillette Slim. Have recently seen some videos on Superspeed and Mantic's info on the Superspeed in which he points to late 40s to mid 50s Superspeeds.

Just curious as to anyone's opinion of the above razors compared to the SS and Tech? The razor I get on least with is the DE89 though the Slim I find is not the easiest to find the right angle but perhaps just not getting the cutting noise. Slim setting usually 6.

Razor blades using ATM - Gilette Superplatinum (Indian) Black soon to get Personna Lab - hopefully GSB too

Cheers

It depends on the specific version of the SS or Tech. Especially so for the Tech, where the older British flat-plate versions are medium aggressive, and excellent, super smooth, shavers, while the later Techs (i.e. post-war) are very mild indeed. If you find the DE89 too mild, and use your Slim on 6, the post-war Techs may not be your favorite. The Super Speed is also a pretty mild razor (the British Rockets being slightly more aggressive, IMO). Though I tend to prefer medium-aggressive razors in general (e.g. the NEW), the Super Speed seems to work really well for me, despite its generally mild character. I like it far better than the post-war Tech, which is just to mild for me.

My 40s SS is a medium-large amount less aggressive than my Weber PH Bulldog. The SS with an Astra SP blade is similar in hair removal and forgiveness to the Weber with a Dorco ST300 blade. The 50s SS is a little bit less aggressive than the 40s model. The LC NEW is a medium amount more aggressive than the Weber - and less forgiving of technique mistakes than the Weber.

Last edited:
Top Bottom