What's new

Review: A Mamba slipped into my den

I prefer mild razors. I can use any DE on my head but shaving my face ATG with aggressive razors usually means tugging, weepers and lots or irritation (no, Feathers or super rigid razors are not the answer to everything - I've been through this :)).

My three least aggressive razors are the Mühle R89 (same head as DE89), Ikon X3 and a post-war Tech. Both the X3 and the Tech are comfortable to shave with but require too much buffing. Also, the X3 feels a little bulky, suffers from uneven blade exposure and needs a very specific angle to work properly. The Tech does not cover the blade tabs in the least and its thread has begun to rot.
The R89 (rotten thread as well) on the other hand is reasonably efficient but often gives me weepers.

So, I was looking for a razor that is slightly more forgiving than my R89 but still efficient. I was tired of messing with blade alignment and I also didn't want another zamak razor. I prefer things that last. Unfortunately, most stainless steel razors are expensive. If you live in the EU like me, the Brick on a Stick aka Rockwell 6S is the only affordable and widely available SS razor - but as a head shaver, I prefer slim and light razors.

When the Razorock Mamba was introduced I was very interested since it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for: Stainless steel but still lightweight, minimalistic, very smooth but efficient, blade tabs completely covered... and actually affordable. Thanks to @LoveTheSlant who was willing to sell and ship his Mamba across the pond, I'm now in the possession of such a razor. :)

mamba1.jpg mamba2.jpg

First impressions: wow, that looks nice. And smaller than anticipated. Which is a good thing.
I'd have preferred a matte finish but the polished steel looks still way better than chrome which somehow always looks dirt cheap to me. Like a curtain draped to hide the trash.

mamba3.jpg mamba4.jpg

The handle: nicely done and screwing it on and off is super smooth. No wobbling. Actually I'm glad that the stub on the back of the handle can be removed. This makes for a better length and balance and gives you something that is very similar to a typical bulldog handle.

The head weighs 28g (11g top cap, 17g base plate). To my knowledge, it is the lightest stainless steel DE head available.
The handle without the stub measures 81,5mm (12mm in diameter) and 56g. With the stub (15mm diameter) attached, it is 91mm and 69g.

Everything fits together nicely. The razor has almost no play at all and alignment is top notch.

mamba6.jpg mamba5.jpg

I put an old blade into the Mamba and compared the amount of blade feel to my Tech. IMHO it almost felt the same, the Mamba being just a tad more aggressive. So, yes, it would definitively be a smooth ride - but would it still be efficient enough?

First shave: I used a fresh ASP blade, a Mühle Black Fibre brush and Nivea shaving cream. Shower first.
I began with the head as always. This must have been one of the easiest and quickest head shaves I ever had. The Mamba is one of these very few razors that I can use so intuitively and fast it almost feels like peeling the hair off my head with my bare hand. Only my bakelite Fasan was comparable in this regard but it was much more aggressive and not compatible with my facial hair.
The Tech always required buffing on the head. Not the Mamba - I was actually surprised how direct and efficient it was. After the first few strokes on the back of my head I already knew this razor was a keeper.

As usual, shaving my face and neck took longer. I have a very coarse red beard that is totally different from my blonde head hair. It looks and feels like copper wire, literally grows in any direction and nearly parallel to the skin on my neck. I did two passes, one mainly WTG, the other mainly ATG. I needed some buffing and sometimes did not get the correct angle immediately but it was still more comfortable and efficient than both the Tech and X3. Only got one weeper which is a good thing for me considering it was a fresh ASP. I may have been working too quickly though, I expect zero weepers once I really get used to the Mamba.

I ended up with a satisfying DFS. A real BBS on my neck is impossible for me to achieve anyway so I don't bother too much about it.

This evening (24 hours later) I had my second shave with the Mamba with the same blade and achieved a slightly better result in less time. No weepers.

The Mamba cuts at a very shallow angle. I like that. I recently got a Timor, very forgiving as well, but due to its steeper working angle it just slowly ground my stubble away instead of actually cutting it.
In my opinion it is indeed a tool that allows for quick shaving. Which is perfect. As much as I enjoy my shaves, I do have housemates who want to use the bathroom as well from time to time. :)

But is it efficient enough? I'd say yes but it should not be any less efficient. I can absolutely understand why people would rather choose something else entirely.

I expected the Mamba to be close to the R89 in terms of aggressiveness. But my claim is while it only has 50% of its aggressiveness it has at least 75% of its efficiency - no reason to complain for me in the least. It does require a more specific angle, though.

---

Okay. Will I still be looking for a better razor? I don't think so. I'd like to try a GEM some time - my attempt on SE AC blades was a huge disappointment - but as for DE shaving, I feel like I won't find anything more suitable without spending an inappropriate amount of money. I do want to try other blades, though - GSBs, Gillette Yellow, Polsilver, Rapira, Permasharp and Nacet are on my list. So there's still much to do. :)

I'm not so sure about the handle though. It doesn't have any real knurling and its diameter seemed a bit too small initially, but I have to admit I did not miss anything during the shave nor was there anything that bothered me. I just wished it was hollow. 20g less would be great.
But I think the only thing I truly dislike about the handle is the fact that I don't have a matching stand for it. I can't possibly get another one from Maggard again. They do have a 12mm stand though...

Last edited:
Hey Ben! Glad you are enjoying it! It is a fantastic razor that, unfortunately, didn’t work for me. Happy it is in good hands. Keep an eye out for the RR titanium handle which might suit your interest in a lighter handle.

Thanks! I'm really glad I made the purchase.
I have to admit, the Mamba handle slipped from my hands twice yesterday when I cleaned it with soap. A knurled handle might actually be a better match for me.
I will take my chances with a hollow Maggard MR11. That should be even lighter than the RR titanium.

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've got a Mamba waiting for me when I get back home, and I can hardly wait!

has anyone floated the idea to Joe from italian barber co come out with a more aggressive mamba plate? he did this with another razor he came out with, the razorock mj-90

the plate on the mj-90 was considered too mild for many, so Joe came out with a more aggressive plate

I don't see why he couldn't do the same thing with the razorock mamba?

anyone wanna email him?

My only complaint with the mamba is no knurling. Just like a merkur progress, both are extremely slippery with wet or soapy hands. So, it stays in the cabinet unused.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom