What's new

The Last Razors On My Wish List

So, I've been looking over my "collection". I put that word in parentheses because all of my razors are really user quality. I've shaved with each and every one of them, except for the #!64 Goodwill I acquired last week, which will have it's trial run tomorrow morning. Anyway, I now have 29 razors, mostly vintage but some modern ones as well. Listed as follows:

Gillette Old Type Single Ring (3)
Gillette Old Type Ball End USA
Gillette Old Type Ball End Canada
Gillette Old Type Ball End England
Gillette Old Type head on Ikon Bulldog handle
Gillette Old Type head on Tech Fat handle
Gillette Goodwill #164
Gillette New Improved - Gold color (2)
Gillette New Improved Tuckaway - Gold (2)
Gillette New Improved Tuckaway - Chrome
Gillette NEW Short Comb with common bar handle
Gillette NEW Long Comb with common bar handle
Gillette Tech Ball End handle - Chrome
Gillette Tech Ball End handle - Gold
Gillette Tech Fat handle - Nickel
Gillette Tech Fat handle - Black
Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 (2)
Edwin Jagger DE89 Knurled handle
Merkur 34C HD
Muhle R41 head on Razorock Barber Pole handle
Schone Open Comb (both old and new handles but one head - broke the other one)
Razorock Old Type
Razorock Mission head (DE89 clone) on Edwin Jagger Chrome handle (travel razor)

So, this leaves me thinking what else I want to "complete" my collection. This is my short list of those I would like to acquire as time and money allows:

Gillette Old Type Bulldog handle (my holy grail razor)
Gillette Black Beauty Adjustable
Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable

I know, I don't have an Aristocrat or Flare Tip on the list or others of that ilk. I'm not a big TTO fan in general, even though I have two Slims because that is my birth quarter/year. And the Artisocrats are just plain expensive. I'm saving my money in case I find an Old Type Bulldog. The Black Beauty is on the list because as I've seen some listings of it I just like the look of it with the black handle. And I've heard so much about Fat Boys that I figure I should have one, although I could possibly drop it from the list. The point is, I think this is it for me. If I get these last few razors, I might actually consider my RAD cured. I have no desire to buy expensive modern razors like the ATTs, etc. I'm sure someone will be able to suggest another razor that I haven't thought of that might end up on the list. But maybe not.

And of the above vintage razors, 5 of them are "cased", which I don't use. I've thought about selling them but I've set that idea aside for the time being.

So what is my point? What am I missing on my "want" list? I reserve the right to decline any suggestion.

B694BCC8-9C76-4664-88B6-76C67DD902E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Rockwell 6s/c
Parker Variant adjustable
Fatip Grande

Rockwell's are not cheap. Keep in mind I've not paid more than $40 for any of these razors as I can recollect. Parker isn't doing anything for me. And I already have the Schone which is made by Fatip so I think I've got that one covered. And lots of people think the Schone shaves smoother. But thanks for the suggestions.

Rockwell's are not cheap. Keep in mind I've not paid more than $40 for any of these razors as I can recollect. Parker isn't doing anything for me. And I already have the Schone which is made by Fatip so I think I've got that one covered. And lots of people think the Schone shaves smoother. But thanks for the suggestions.

Fair enough. However keeping an eye on the BST might get you a Rockwell cheaper. I got a 6c barely used at all on BST for $30 shipped!

Gem Micromatics
Shick injectors

Nah. Single edges don't interest me either. I've read some great reviews of injectors but it's not creating interest. I'll tell you what does have interest for me in the future. Straight edges. I do have a Gold Dollar that I bought from a B&B member who grinds them down and hones them and resells them. I bought it to try and learn with. I used it twice. If I ever pick it up and get the hang of using a straight edge, I can see falling down that rabbit hole.

Fair enough. However keeping an eye on the BST might get you a Rockwell cheaper. I got a 6c barely used at all on BST for $30 shipped!

Yeah. That would be doable. But what will the Rockwell do for me that isn't covered with the modern razors I currently have? Stainless Steel instead of zamak?

No slants? No Leresche? No Star?? And I gotta tell ya, if you ever shave with a Gem single edge, you'll be left with an inexplicable feeling of regret for having not tried it sooner.

Yeah. That would be doable. But what will the Rockwell do for me that isn't covered with the modern razors I currently have? Stainless Steel instead of zamak?

Primarily it will give you a smoother shave with options to find the sweet spot setting IMO. Not saying the others won't do the same, but the Rockwell is characteristically know for smoothness!

No slants? No Leresche? No Star?? And I gotta tell ya, if you ever shave with a Gem single edge, you'll be left with an inexplicable feeling of regret for having not tried it sooner.

If I had trouble getting BBS with what I have I might consider a slant. But I've worked hard on my technique and feel good about my shaves. As for the single edges, are they actually better than double edges?

You ain't done.

DE razors from...
Star
Shake Sharp
Cooper
Barbasol
Wardonia
Segal
Gibbs
Leresche
Stahly

The only consistently pricey one is the Barbasol..but you could get lucky

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If I had trouble getting BBS with what I have I might consider a slant. But I've worked hard on my technique and feel good about my shaves. As for the single edges, are they actually better than double edges?
The problem with injectors, for example, is they are extremely smooth and extremely efficient. My L type Schick kills most of my DE razors. Is it as enjoyable? Not sure. But it damn sure shaves better. The problem with Gems is that they ARE more enjoyable to shave with and also arguably shave just as well or better than a DE. I have around 30 DE razors and then I bought a few Gems, a couple of injectors and a straight razor and I often stare at my beloved DE collection and sigh at how little they get used anymore, except for the pre-war :(

You never know unless you try.

You ain't done.

DE razors from...
Star
Shake Sharp
Cooper
Barbasol
Wardonia
Segal
Gibbs
Leresche
Stahly

The only consistently pricey one is the Barbasol..but you could get lucky

Yeah. I'm done.

The problem with injectors, for example, is they are extremely smooth and extremely efficient. My L type Schick kills most of my DE razors. Is it as enjoyable? Not sure. But it damn sure shaves better. The problem with Gems is that they ARE more enjoyable to shave with and also arguably shave just as well or better than a DE. I have around 30 DE razors and then I bought a few Gems, a couple of injectors and a straight razor and I often stare at my beloved DE collection and sigh at how little they get used anymore, except for the pre-war :(

You never know unless you try.

Checking prices on the bay, I sure can't argue with the cost. But there seem to be a ton of choices. If I were to consider springing for a Gem, does it matter what model I pursue?

I'm preplexed by Gillette-centric collections. The 1930s was the most creative and interesting period of safety razor development, with dozens of manufacturers competing at a time when Gillette's market share dropped to 18% in the US. There's so much great stuff out there.

The Bulldog is a worthy goal. I still need one. Don’t count an Aristocrat out. I’m primarily a 3 piece fan, but the early open comb Aristocrats shave like a damn, and are gorgeous to boot. A little patience, and sometimes they are reasonably priced. There are 2 in this picture that were 45.00 each.
2BB41D6C-022A-498B-ADC2-861194EF8496.jpeg

Checking prices on the bay, I sure can't argue with the cost. But there seem to be a ton of choices. If I were to consider springing for a Gem, does it matter what model I pursue?
So, the 1912 is great (also made by Star and Ever-Ready so look at those names). The featherweight and push button are also fantastic (it's the head that makes those awesome).

I can send you a couple to try before you buy.

So, the 1912 is great (also made by Star and Ever-Ready so look at those names). The featherweight and push button are also fantastic (it's the head that makes those awesome).

I appreciate the offer but the prices I saw on eBay were pretty darn cheap. No more than $20. Is that right? Was I looking at the right stuff?

An Old Type fan might find the Feather Weight type head pretty mild ..but everyone seems to get along with the 1912.

Top Bottom