What's new

Super Speed Identification

After having posted this information in bits and pieces I felt I would be, with recent prompting ... :wink: ... a good idea to bring it all together. I know there are a couple of other quirks that I will add over time. And, please, if anyone comes up with new or better info let me know so I can add to or update. This is a work in progress. Anyway, on to the Super Speeds!

You really can't go wrong with the 40's, 50's, 60's or the 70's styles. They'll all give you a good starting point to let you know if you want, or need to go more aggressive or more mild. Here's some sample shots of the many types available.

40's Style (many feel it is the best of the bunch)
proxy.php

The first 40's style Super Speeds appear in or around 1947. These razors did not have the date code on the underside of the base until 1951. The 1947 SS can be uniquely identified by the lack of a notch at the end of the center bar. In 1948 the notched bar was introduced to make the auto-loading of the new dispenser blades easier. The razor shown below is an example of the no notched 1947. Note the "wings" at the ends of the center bar. According to several users this razor is milder in nature than the later notched versions. Many thanks to B&B member mr-razor (Achim) for his donation of these comparison pictures.
proxy.php

Below is pictured a '48-'50 notched Super Speed for comparison. The reason you will see these referred to as '48-'50 is that without the identifying date code there is no way to nail down the exact production year beyond that range.
proxy.php

Here are the two variations side by side along with directions for use with the newer notched version.
attachment.php

There was a variation of the 40's style known as the Black Tip. It came in the aluminum handle (bottom) and the standard handle (top). The TTO knob on the Black Tip was the only plastic example in the Super Speeds.
proxy.php

In the third quarter of 1954 (date codes Z-3 and Z-4) Gillette gave the 40's style Super Speed its last hurrah with a special limited edition re-release promoting the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. Once again thanks to Achim for the image as I no longer have mine with the case. The razor itself is identical to the latter 40's styles.
proxy.php

50's Style - A richer knurled handle and a flair tip introduced in 1954 (Z date code).
proxy.php

The 50's style also comes in a more aggressive model called the Red Tip. This one is a favorite among many wanting that aggressive shave.
proxy.php

And a more mild version called the Blue Tip which had an aluminum handle and was a favorite of the ladies of the day before the Lady Gillette of 25 years later.
proxy.php

This brings to light another subtle variation with the Blue Tip. Notice the shorter TTO knob on the 1959 (E-4) on the left. There is only one horizontal ring as opposed to the two on the 1956 (B-1) on the right. Thanks to B&B member scottydoint for this picture. I hope to come up with more clarification and will update here as this muddiness clears.
proxy.php

Another very special variation of the 50's style Super Speed was the 1958 TV Special which was released as another promotion for the American television show, The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. Note the vertical knurling as opposed to the "checkered" or bi-lateral knurling of the standard 50's style. This razor came in a red version of the TV Special case pictured above with its 1954 TV cousin.
proxy.php

60's Style - Note the lack of horizontal grooves on the TTO knob and the slight difference in general knurling from the 50's version. Also note the lower profile head.
proxy.php

And finally, what I like to call the 70's style, the black handle Super Speed. It is lighter weight and delivers a nice shave as does it's predecessors.
proxy.php

I will add to this post as I have in hand new and different Super Speeds.

P.S. I know, I haven't even touched on the Rockets (European and Canadian versions of this great razor). :001_rolle

Could you answer a question for me? I have a Super Speed that looks like a 40's style, but the date code is Z1. Is it a 1954 or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Very well done, Guido. I'm sure this will be very helpful to a lot of people who are getting into this "hobby" and need a straighforward explanation of the salient differences in the various vintages of SS's.

Is it your intention to expand this to include other Gillette TTO's, such as the adjustables and the various "Deluxe" models? (Some of the relatively subtle differences in detail on the various deluxe models still send me back to the book sometimes.)

Regards,
Tom

Could you answer a question for me? I have a Super Speed that looks like a 40's style, but the date code is Z1. Is it a 1954 or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for any clarification.

You have the 1954 TV Special which I was going to add tomorrow. It was released as the first promo for the Cavalcade of Sports promo. It was a last hurrah of the great 40's style Super Speed in a special release.

The regular 40's styles extended through 1953.

Nice razor!

Is the 54 TV special Z3 and Z4 only? I've been wondering about this for a while since I have either a Z1 or Z2...

Or is it that Z1, Z2 are less common?

B&B Wiki Dating Page

To be honest, I've only seen Z-3's and Z-4's associated with the TV special cases. I have never had a Z-1 or a Z-2 40's style. Darn. More searching. I will keep this thread updated with the fullest info possible on Super Speeds, though.

Yes, thanks for answering my question.

Actually, from what I am seeing your Z-1 (at first reading I just noticed the Z code and not first quarter) may be the final regular production quarter of the 40's style. The Z-3 and Z-4's were the TV specials.

I have a few 40's style SS's that have what I call a wing style center bar. I believe in or around '48 Gillette changed the center bar to the common "notched" style. This was designed to remove the blades from the package without having to handle the blade. In my experience, the earlier version with no notch is a more mild shaver.

I have a few 40's style SS's that have what I call a wing style center bar. I believe in or around '48 Gillette changed the center bar to the common "notched" style. This was designed to remove the blades from the package without having to handle the blade. In my experience, the earlier version with no notch is a more mild shaver.

Would you believe I was just hoping to have a very nice side by side comparison of the '47 unnotched to the '48-'50 notched, but alas, I don't own the former. I know I've seen a comparison elsewhere. I'll just need to search. That really needs to be included as it is a significant variation. Thanks.

Whoever maintains the WIKI should have a look at this thread, as there's no mention of the 60's style in either the date charts, or the main superspeed section

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Gillette_Super_Speed

I know. To be honest, the "60's style" is a term that I may have coined as a way of differentiating the redesigned head and handle of the flair tipped SS. They first appeared in the early sixties so I just started calling them the 60's style. :001_smile

Top Bottom