What's new

Sunglasses Search

Oakley Holbrook Ti off the ‘bay cost just over $100 less than MSRP and I’m loving them.

(Took them to my eye doctor’s office and compared them to the ones they had in stock. Yep, authentic.)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did reach out to Oakley on the off chance they had something available. I was given a code for 30% off since my pair has been discontinued for a while. Of course, this doesn't get them close enough to my budget at the moment.

I've been thinking about what I really like regarding the glasses. One of those is that the ear pieces do not "hook" around the ears. I'm thinking that may be an Oakley trait? Regardless, my search continues. Thankfully, they are still wearable at the moment. And my official code is good to the end of the year.

I ended up buying a couple pairs of new shades off Amazon. I just couldn't find anything I was comfortable with regarding aftermarket replacement lenses, and even with the discount from Oakley the glasses were still outside my budget. I'll update once I receive them. Hopefully they are as advertised...

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did reach out to Oakley on the off chance they had something available. I was given a code for 30% off since my pair has been discontinued for a while. Of course, this doesn't get them close enough to my budget at the moment.

I've been thinking about what I really like regarding the glasses. One of those is that the ear pieces do not "hook" around the ears. I'm thinking that may be an Oakley trait? Regardless, my search continues. Thankfully, they are still wearable at the moment. And my official code is good to the end of the year.
Maui Jim’s have the straight ear stems like the Oakley. Similar looks too, unfortunately out of you budget range. One thing I stick to, don’t cheap out on your eyes. Stick to the name brand stuff. I’ve read long ago that the “cheap” brands (aka gas station finds) claim uv blocking but may actually not block any at all.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Decades later I still curse Oakley occasionally for not offering the Sub Zero. They reintroduced it, but it always seems to be sold out.

Oakley seems to rely on planned obsolescence as part of their business model. Years ago I had a pair similar to the OP's that needed new lenses, at the time Oakley had discontinued the frame so no lenses were available save from another outfit I found on the web. Shortly after replacing the lens the nosepieces and ear socks went south, and the frames were useless. In a similar vein, I had a pair of the original Radar glasses, when the lens deteriorated replacements could not be found, later versions of the Radar frame changed the lens mounting enough so that the new Radar lens would not fit the old Radar frame. Nowadays I stick to glasses with real glass lenses, they last longer. Of course, one could purchase an extra set of Oakley lenses when purchasing glasses to help prolong their useful life.

Decades later I still curse Oakley occasionally for not offering the Sub Zero. They reintroduced it, but it always seems to be sold out.

I had an original pair of Sub Zeros back in the day. I loved them. Once on my face, I almost forgot I was wearing them because they were so lightweight and comfortable.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I had an original pair of Sub Zeros back in the day. I loved them. Once on my face, I almost forgot I was wearing them because they were so lightweight and comfortable.
Yep. They are light years ahead of everything else IMO on comfort, have great coverage, and look weird but good. I'll keep after it to track down the (somewhat modified) reissue.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
While best known for prescription glasses and sunglasses, Zenni has a line of non-prescription sunglasses. I think you can even order from their prescription sunglasses section and select the non-prescription option. I've had great luck with Zenni - I currently own two pairs of "regular" glasses and two pairs of sunglasses.
This is what I also would recommend. I use Zenni for my prescriptions for years and I am very happy with them (I use lined bi-focals with auto tint and also always get clip on sun glasses). For my wife I buy their non-prescriptions sunglasses. Can only recommend them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have owned a pair of Oakley Square Wire 2 glasses since they were released in 1999. I no longer wear them in public when in the company of my wife as according to her it is no longer the 1980s. Against my better judgement she purchased for me some tortoiseshell Ray-Ban Clubmaster glasses which she informs me are far more fashionable, despite being an obvious 1950s inspired design. As always, she was quite correct, and thanks to my re-education I now realise that the Oakleys look dated while the Ray-Bans look timeless. I now leave decisions of fashion and taste to the Lady Of The House, life is easier that way 👍

I have owned a pair of Oakley Square Wire 2 glasses since they were released in 1999. I no longer wear them in public when in the company of my wife as according to her it is no longer the 1980s. Against my better judgement she purchased for me some tortoiseshell Ray-Ban Clubmaster glasses which she informs me are far more fashionable, despite being an obvious 1950s inspired design. As always, she was quite correct, and thanks to my re-education I now realise that the Oakleys look dated while the Ray-Bans look timeless. I now leave decisions of fashion and taste to the Lady Of The House, life is easier that way 👍

I have a pair of Ray-Ban Justins that basically look like a larger version of their Wayfarers. I also got a couple of pairs of off brand lenses and switch them out from time to time. I have G15 (green/gray polarized), blue mirror (non-polarized), and a yellow/gold mirror (polarized) that don’t seem to color shift anything while looking through them.

It’s my favorite pair to wear on the Harley.

IMG_6156.jpeg

Last edited:
Fashion and Aesthetic choices are best left to my LotH as well.
Regarding timeless style, I did get a pair that are "aviators", so hopefully that counts as well. That being said, I still will miss the Oakley's. Not because they say Oakley, but because I enjoyed the thin, bronze-ish colored wire. Sometimes, you have to make your own style.

I wear Maui Jim’s, two pairs and Oakley Half Jackets, four pairs with various Polarized lenses. Revant makes the replacement Polarized and anti reflective lenses now for the discontinued Oakley model I wear. Here in Colorado and out West, never leave home without high quality lenses and frames that fit.

Odd man out here. I often need protection from the side while driving, so I use tinted safety glasses. They're only a few bucks each and some even have infrared protection too. Just make sure you get them from a reputable safety supplier instead of some fly by night Chinese special. I bought a box of 12 a long time ago and still have a spare left. Use, abuse, toss.

Top Bottom