What's new

Sunglasses Search

I'll try to make this short. Years ago, I was able to use my eye insurance on a pair of non-prescription (yes, I still have 20x20 vision) sunglasses. I got a pair of Oakley Square Whiskers, which I LOVE. However, time has started to take it's toll on the glasses and the lenses are a bit nasty as well as the temple "socks" need to be replaced. Alas, Oakley no longer makes this frame or lenses for them! When I go to Amazon, I can find replacement lenses but the stores have very few reviews and options are quite limited as well.

Question 1: Has anyone replaced lenses in their glasses before and able to recommend a specific store/brand?
Question 2: Can anyone recommend a BRAND of sunglasses that are relatively low cost (Say $50ish or less?) that I should consider if refurbishing my existing glasses isn't an option?

Here's an image I found of the square whiskers. If anyone knows something similar, that'd be great too!
1688656189459.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Maybe contact Oakley directly and see if they can help. I’ve found their customer support to be pretty good although not with your specific issue. Generally glasses are a huge mark up (scam) item. $50 might be a low target. Watching this one for others to weigh in.

The heart of good sunglasses are the lenses. Sure, you can buy aftermarket lenses, but I question the quality of them compared to the original lenses. In the end, you would have designer frames and dollar store lenses. I'd probably be shopping for new glasses or if that particular brand and model is a must I'd look on eBay for a pre-owned pair.

I have had good luck with the pre-owned route. I like a particular Ray Ban. MSRP is $213 new. This summer I bought two pairs of pre-owned. One pair was $30. The other was $50....And yes, they are authentic glasses, not fakes.

IMHO Oakleys are over priced made off shore sunglasses. They have program for fist responders & military 40-50% off. Standard Issue is program, Google it.
I can not get excited about their stuff, I buy generic sunglasses for under $20.00.

Function v/s fashion .

Last edited:
Unless I need polycarbonate lenses as a safety feature, I prefer glass lenses. Glass lenses resist scratching much better and are generally more optically clear.

Well Oakley is forced to charge what they do as they work hard seeing every athlete in pro sports wear their brand of Sun Glasses.

They give out so many pair hoping John w public see their Hero Pro Athlete ward the “0” brand.

Some high profile athletes get more than FREE SUNGLASSES. They get more then Beer money for product wearing.

Never heard of Randolph’s before this thread. Now I realize why… they’re basically the Rocnel sailors of sunglasses. A bit much for my pockets, but if you have the means then why not.

While best known for prescription glasses and sunglasses, Zenni has a line of non-prescription sunglasses. I think you can even order from their prescription sunglasses section and select the non-prescription option. I've had great luck with Zenni - I currently own two pairs of "regular" glasses and two pairs of sunglasses.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Maui Jim, Ray Ban, and Oakley. Those are the brands I have. Both Maui Jim and Ray Ban have replaced lenses in my glasses just this year. Maui Jim was the easiest to deal with. However, they are not $50 glasses. Perhaps check your local department store for some good, yet inexpensive glasses. I got a pair of Kenneth Cole a loooonnnnggg time ago that I still have but don’t wear because they are not polarized. I got them before the whole polarized craze.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've had the same pair of Serengeti since about 1982. Back then you could get them at Costco for about $25. Of course, back then $25 was a lot of money. :)

They are not prescription nor are they polarized. I've lately started wearing a pair of polarized clip-ons, as my aging eyes need more support. I like polarized lenses when trying to deal with sunglare.

O.H.

Reactions: Jut
Top Bottom