What's new

Suggestions for Soft Watchband

Howdy all.

I recently bought a Ball Hydrocarbon with a stainless band.
14767320-E796-45D2-A742-42168E3DDD32.jpeg

Love the watch! It’s been keeping exceptional time.
Here’s the problem. I work in a warehouse. For the most part, I supervise, with only occasional physical labor. I went in today as thanks to the blizzard we were short employees. We were REALLY short. I ended up loading 4 trucks myself on top of my usual duties.

Thanks to the stainless band, I’ve got some bruising on the inside of my wrist.
8D3981C4-4D91-42F3-B04B-CDC4E074D988.jpeg

I think I need to find a softer band. Looking for suggestions. Rubber? Nylon? Leather? Also suggestions for brands or retailers I should look at would be appreciated.
The lug width is 20mm. I’ve been thinking of trying some other bands even before this happened. I’ve pretty much always had stainless bands, so broaden my horizons!

Thanks in advance.
Mark

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Cool watch. I'd recommend a NATO strap. I've got a couple nice ones from Crown Buckle, but there's a bunch of websites that sell them.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was leaning towards leather, but the NATO strap would look good on that watch.

So far we are running 100% NATO. No love for rubber? Or are they impractical in some way?

Some rubber bands are fairly stiff, and can be uncomfortable for that reason. They can also be sweat traps in warm conditions. NATO straps are more comfortable IME. Just make sure there's enough clearance between the spring bars and case to fit a NATO through.

OOO! Never liked the look of NATOs. I never thought I'd recommend a NATO strap for anything, but a NATO is called for in this situation. Nothing else would likely give satisfaction.

If you are looking for a simple nylon strap then a NATO should work. But I would also look at their close relatives Zulu and Perlon. Sometimes these terms are not used consistently but by NATO I am referring to the extra layer of fabric that goes under the watch head while a Zulu does not have that so it is more streamlined and easier to wear IMO. The Perlon has the basket weave appearance and can be good in the heat and gives more fine tune length adjustability. The biggest downside is that these straps are fairly light and do not always balance the weight of a automatic diver. This does not deter me from wearing one but I do sometimes take notice.

A rubber strap is thicker and heavier (though still much lighter than a bracelet) so will provide more counter balance to the watch head, both visually and physically as you move your arm about. I would stay away from the low priced Silicon rubber straps as they do not feel as nice and are prone to collecting dust. Instead I would recommend an Italian rubber strap. Bonetto Cinturini would be near the top of my short list, especially if you are looking for one in black as they are made in a lot of different styles. If you want a colored one then Janis trading is worth a look (I have one). A lower cost option (that may or may not be as nice) could consider an Obris strap most of he sales are divers.

I see that your watch has 21mm lugs? That will make finding a replacement strap more difficult. If you are getting a Nato/Zulu then you likely need to purchase a 20mm. You may be able to squeeze a 22mm Perlon in place but 20mm will work as well. For rubber again you will probably need to purchase a 20mm strap or barely trim each side of a 22mm until it can fit into the lugs. You may want to do searching for this specific watch to see what others have been able to make work. As there very few 21mm straps manufactured.

If you are looking for a simple nylon strap then a NATO should work. But I would also look at their close relatives Zulu and Perlon. Sometimes these terms are not used consistently but by NATO I am referring to the extra layer of fabric that goes under the watch head while a Zulu does not have that so it is more streamlined and easier to wear IMO. The Perlon has the basket weave appearance and can be good in the heat and gives more fine tune length adjustability. The biggest downside is that these straps are fairly light and do not always balance the weight of a automatic diver. This does not deter me from wearing one but I do sometimes take notice.

A rubber strap is thicker and heavier (though still much lighter than a bracelet) so will provide more counter balance to the watch head, both visually and physically as you move your arm about. I would stay away from the low priced Silicon rubber straps as they do not feel as nice and are prone to collecting dust. Instead I would recommend an Italian rubber strap. Bonetto Cinturini would be near the top of my short list, especially if you are looking for one in black as they are made in a lot of different styles. If you want a colored one then Janis trading is worth a look (I have one). A lower cost option (that may or may not be as nice) could consider an Obris strap most of he sales are divers.
Thanks for your suggestions. The lugs are 20mm. I like the idea of the Zulu. The case sits pretty proud as it is without a layer of Nylon underneath.

Of course I decided to lengthen it a bit, had popped the spring bar on the clasp, and set it on the kitchen counter while I went to get my glasses. One of the Cats knocked it off the counter. Found the bar and spring, but not the tiny tip. Oh well.
Nice watch! Zulu would look good

strapcode is a good source.

View attachment 876170
Now there’s some visual inspiration! I like it! Yours?

I wish! I need another watch like another hole in my head. I just googled Ball Hydrocarbon on NATO and it showed up.

I'm pretty sure that's a strapcode waffle Zulu on it. Nice straps.

Thanks for your suggestions. The lugs are 20mm. I like the idea of the Zulu. The case sits pretty proud as it is without a layer of Nylon underneath.

Of course I decided to lengthen it a bit, had popped the spring bar on the clasp, and set it on the kitchen counter while I went to get my glasses. One of the Cats knocked it off the counter. Found the bar and spring, but not the tiny tip. Oh well.

Now there’s some visual inspiration! I like it! Yours?

There is a simple way of fastening NATO straps that avoids having two layers of fabric under the watch. There are several videos on the Internet showing how it's done.

One vote for rubber. I like Panatime straps. They also make robust leather straps that I have used on heavy-use watches.
+1 on the Zulu strap. You can also find them in two pieces that install like any other watch strap.

Top Bottom