What's new

Suggestions for new de razor after 34c

Don't over think the term aggressive because you could miss out on some great shaves. It just means there is more blade exposure on the razor so you get a closer shave at the expense of having to pay more attention to you technique until you're used to using it.

Right I think I'm thinking about it too much. I'm just browsing right now seeing what looks good on ebay. You think that's the best spot for vintage Gillette?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merkur 34c...... miles and miles of great shaves paired with Wilkinson sword blades, both from Germany. No obvious reason to change, just stay with what works well.

Curious to see if it can get better but I hear ya though.

I just get a little nervous seeing the red tip being the most aggressive. I'm not a pro at wet shaving yet so I don't wanna slice my face off. I see some people saying it's aggressive and some people saying it isn't at all. Which adjustable is better the fat boy or slim?
It is easy to reduce the aggressiveness by riding the cap so control is in your hands. You are not likely to slice your face of with sensible technique. The slim adjustable is easier to find so that would be your best bet. Look for a Fatboy by all means and you may just get a bargain. The Merkur Progress or Parker Variant are also options but the Slim Adjustable is made from brass so always a plus for me.
Finally don't discount a good blade. For me, a GSB in the 34C is fantastic. Never tried a Polsilver SI or Nacet but I hear good stories about them too.

Curious to see if it can get better but I hear ya though.
You could try adding 1 or 2 shims under the blade on your 34C. Trim (with heavy scissors), just the cutting edge off both sides of some old blades... BAM, you have some shims!

Get a Rockwell 6S or 6C from mild to wild it has you covered. Even on setting 6 which is the most aggressive it's difficult to hurt yourself. In fact i wouldn't even call higher setting aggressive as much as I'd call them efficient.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Depending on budget. Try ej89. Or Rockwell 6s or c. Or timeless razor.
I have a Gillette superspeed (birth year) used it once. Meh. I'm not a vintage guy. They are nice to collect but the modern types win hands down in my book especially in heft build handle thickness and length. Ymwv of course. Cheers.

I don't know if I'm really into the vintage look myself. I don't really wanna buy something beat up looking honestly. And all the nice looking ones are $$$$

QShave Futur clone, RazoRock DE1, or RazoRock German 37 slant. I don't know if any of them are better than the 34c, but they'll get you to the same destination in a slightly different way.

Get a Rockwell 6S or 6C from mild to wild it has you covered. Even on setting 6 which is the most aggressive it's difficult to hurt yourself. In fact i wouldn't even call higher setting aggressive as much as I'd call them efficient.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk
+1

For an open comb, try the Merkur 41C/1904 or 25C.
For a safety bar, try the Rockwell 6 series.
Having these 3 should round out and complete your collection.

Top Bottom