What's new

Suggestions for new de razor after 34c

There's plenty of vintage Gillettes on ebay, some will have a higher starting bid depending on the condition of the razor, if it comes with its case and accessories or if it is a rarer model etc. Many of the razors you find will look beat up having scratches or be missing some of their plating but they will still work fine.

The great thing about the overly loved ones is you can get them for a good price and then spend a little time cleaning them and polishing them and they will look almost as good as the ones that sell for the big money.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

The great thing about the overly loved ones is you can get them for a good price and then spend a little time cleaning them and polishing them and they will look almost as good as the ones that sell for the big money.

And if you want to "treat yourself" you have the option of having your favorite one replated down the line.

Yeah I saw on one website located in Phoenix they do not come cheap for the re plated ones. How much more aggressive would you say a Gillette is compared to the merkur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Oh man, the world is your oyster now! So many ways you could go. My two personal favorites are the Gillette Red Tip and Merkur 39C Sledgehammer. I think both fit the bill as similar to the HD, but more efficient. Smoother too.

my 34C is my least agressive razor, but gives a good fast shave. i'd recommend a Gillette old tech open comb ball end razor. it is very light and gives a really good shave and i get no weapers with it. it also travels well.

There's always a plan B.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Oh man, the world is your oyster now! So many ways you could go. My two personal favorites are the Gillette Red Tip and Merkur 39C Sledgehammer. I think both fit the bill as similar to the HD, but more efficient. Smoother too.
Love the Red Tip.

A 100 year old Gillette "Old Type" with a Feather gets the job done in production line manner. It's so comfortable, remember not to over shave areas.
If you want more pizzazz, go for a Gillette Fat Boy.

I started out with the Merkur 38c long handle, my first vintage was a tech which I found too mild for my liking and PIF'd to another member. My next razor was an iKon open comb followed by a 1930's Gillette Bostonian New type OC, which is slightly less forgiving than the iKon but an awesome shaver none the less.

From what I heard from other people comparing their modern and vintage razors, the Gillette red tip might be what be what you're looking for if you're thinking about trying a vintage closed comb razor.

I started out with the Merkur 38c long handle, my first vintage was a tech which I found too mild for my liking and PIF'd to another member. My next razor was an iKon open comb followed by a 1930's Gillette Bostonian New type OC, which is slightly less forgiving than the iKon but an awesome shaver none the less.

From what I heard from other people comparing their modern and vintage razors, the Gillette red tip might be what be what you're looking for if you're thinking about trying a vintage closed comb razor.

What's the difference between red tip, flare tip, blue tip, black tip?

What's the difference between red tip, flare tip, blue tip, black tip?

The blue tip is mild, the silver or regular flairtip is medium, and the red tip is agressive (though I hear it is not that agressive just more so than the other 2).

The black tip on the other hand is a 40's style that came out during the Korean war because brass was being used for ammo so Gillette used either aluminum or steel and a plastic knob. Now there is a black handle with a chrome tip flair tip that came out after the 3 level ones but I believe it is similar to the silver tip.

For me efficient means good at removing beard without causing discomfort in as few passes as possible.

If this is also what efficient means for you, you could consider to get an iKon X3. The slant angle makes it very good at slicing, you will notice less tugging and discomfort. At the same time it is a very mild razor. The only downside (as with many slant razors) is that you have to manually align the blade upon tightening the handle.

This is not a cheap zamak razor, so it should last a lot.

One advantage of the Fendrihan stainless steel (Artist, Ambassador, Adventurer, or Scientist style handles) is for only $65 you can have one handle and two interchangeable stainless steel heads, one more aggressive, one less. Or, just get a steel handle, they say it fits most heads on the market. I got the Scientist with the MKII head, reportedly the less aggressive one, for $40, it shaves very well and is slightly more aggressive than the 34c. I'll try another head with it at some point. These are made in Taiwan, and much lower priced than the high-end steel razors.

Now I'm in a hard position been searching. What is my safest best bet for a Gillette vintage? Adjustable or red tip or even flare tip? I don't wanna buy something I'm gonna hate. Now I want a bunch of different razors lol.

Now I'm in a hard position been searching. What is my safest best bet for a Gillette vintage? Adjustable or red tip or even flare tip? I don't wanna buy something I'm gonna hate. Now I want a bunch of different razors lol.

Going with an adjustable would be a safe bet. Then you have 9 razors in one. But I don't think Gillette made a razor that many people have hated when it comes to the DE variety.

Going with an adjustable would be a safe bet. Then you have 9 razors in one. But I don't think Gillette made a razor that many people have hated when it comes to the DE variety.

I just get a little nervous seeing the red tip being the most aggressive. I'm not a pro at wet shaving yet so I don't wanna slice my face off. I see some people saying it's aggressive and some people saying it isn't at all. Which adjustable is better the fat boy or slim?

I just get a little nervous seeing the red tip being the most aggressive. I'm not a pro at wet shaving yet so I don't wanna slice my face off. I see some people saying it's aggressive and some people saying it isn't at all. Which adjustable is better the fat boy or slim?

I haven't personally used a slim but I do have a black beauty and a Fatboy and both are great razors. I think the Fatboy is a little more aggressive compared to the black beauty in the same number (say 5 vs 5). From what I hear the slim is in-between the 2. That being said I think any of them at 1 would be less agressive than your 34c but turned up can be as or more.

Merkur 34c...... miles and miles of great shaves paired with Wilkinson sword blades, both from Germany. No obvious reason to change, just stay with what works well.

I just get a little nervous seeing the red tip being the most aggressive.
Don't over think the term aggressive because you could miss out on some great shaves. It just means there is more blade exposure on the razor so you get a closer shave at the expense of having to pay more attention to you technique until you're used to using it.

Top Bottom