What's new

Suggest me a first cologne

I was considering Acqua Di Gio, but I see it's a best seller. I don't really want to smell like half of the guys there (more chances to smell like the ex too).

Cybrok, try getting a smal bottle of Ralph Lauren Safari of the bay to try. I think you will like it, and you definantly won't smell like the next guy because its been dicontinued . You may have to wait it out a bit for a good deal like I do but this stuff is the S**T!

Here is one, it's not the best deal but not to expensive just to give it a try.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120634109845&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Regards
Louis.

Last edited:
Guys, this is a two year old thread. I like digging through the archives, but if Cybrok hasn't picked his first frag by now, I'd be surprised.

Hopefully, he is on to his 2nd or 3rd cologne by now. :lol:

I need to check dates and times more carefully.

It seems you're into aquatics. Personally, I liked Davidoff Cool Water when I was in my early 20s (I've come a long way ever since). It is however a scent that the ex might have worn too, due to its popular nature. :001_smile

Have you checked in with Mama Bear, Sue makes a lot of colognes that are very inexpensice and I am sure she can help you pick one out that fits your taste.

It seems you're into aquatics. Personally, I liked Davidoff Cool Water when I was in my early 20s (I've come a long way ever since). It is however a scent that the ex might have worn too, due to its popular nature. :001_smile

I was a COOL WATER Man in the 80's, got away from Aquatics and like spicier & Classic scents. I was given a gift of D&G Light Blue and would purchase that again, very nice longevity on me ~8-9 hours.

The best thing to do is head to the nearest mall and smell 'em. Nothing like dropping $50 or more on a cologne you don't know if you like and finding out... YOU DON'T!!:mad3: The better stores have paper strips to spray them on- certainly not ideal, but a good way to winnow the list down without spraying every exposed mm of skin with fragrance. If you like any, spray them on a wrist and see how it goes. I found that I hated most of the store's selection, but there were a few I liked. It's free anyway, if you've got the time.

If you want to make a cold purchase, and liked the 1805, you could try the Taylor of Old Bond St. St. James cologne. It has similarities to the T&H 1805- I like the top notes better, and the 'aquatic' scent is more subdued than in the 1805 sample I tried. If you have smelled the cream, it's quite similar minus some of the deep warmth I attribute to the natural scent of the cream. It's not exactly 'cheap,' but cheaper than other scents being tossed around so far. Around $30 from classicshaving.com and others.

Hoyt's is also a good inexpensive cologne at $10 from QED for 5oz. There is a minute or two of citrus in the top notes, but it is gone quickly and leaves a nice floral scent that lasts a few hours on my skin. I know 'floral' may sound feminine, but I thought it had a little touch of something masculine in it that I very much liked. Sounded like you might like something floral, might not. YMMV.

If you like spicy, you could try the Master's Bay Rum aftershave you can buy at a local Sally's beauty supply for $7-8. I personally like it a lot, although it only lasts a couple of hours and hovers very close to my skin (being an A/S splash and not a cologne) after the first few minutes. Not exactly a cologne, but is inexpensive and lasts long enough on my skin.

The Clubman aftershave/ colognes you can buy at Sally's or most Walgreens last a LONG time on my skin, and use usually very inexpensive.

There it is, hope it helps.

:thumbup:

Believe it or not the one I still get the most compliments on is Old Spice. It was my first try at smelling better when I was in high school and I have used it on and off since (I'm 57) the price can't be beat at around $8 or lower.

A little late with the recommendations, but here are a few. Both get rave reviews from the ladies.

Daytime - Safari by Ralph Lauren
Romantic - Boucheron pour Homme

It's too bad he never reposted to say what he got! Cybrok?

Okok :p

I got myself a small bottle of AdG (15ml) and still have some left. I don't use cologne a lot.

I also got a cheapo Avon marine-ish cologne, the Ironman. Not bad. I should use it more.

I don't use cologne a lot, especially this semester where I'm intern in a mine. Cologne and Big Bill clothes don't fit together ;)

I still plan on getting a bottle of T&H 1805.

Top Bottom